The Official Horror Movie Thread

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby fanboy on Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:21 am

Reminds me a lot of John Ottman's unused H20 score.
fanboy
Art Expert

ironjaiden wrote:I'm a whore so I'll draw whatever you want for a warm meal and a dirty hand job. Every artist is different.

Postby bmerwinsuwc on Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:04 pm

Watched the original F13 and Jason X.
Washed it all down with "The Babysitter" on Netflix. Great first act, some fun moments, and a generally bonkers ending. Nothing amazing, but definitely worth a watch.
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Postby mliddell on Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:43 pm

I thought Happy Dead Day was actually really good. Had no expectations but had young people in it you don't hate the entire movie which is a nice surprise.
Good Birthday horror marathon with:
Happy Birthday to Me
Bloody Birthday.
mliddell
Art Expert

Postby bmerwinsuwc on Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:59 pm

Spent Saturday at a Nightmare on Elm St. Marathon that included a Q&A with Clu Gulager and Jack Sholder. Didn't stay for the whole thing, but caught 1 through 5 on 35 mm.
Spent today working and plowing through Scream 1 through 4. Still one of my favorite franchises.
Trying to watch Hatchet 1 and 3 tomorrow night in preparation to see Victor Crowley Tuesday night.

The key to 31 in 31 this year has been watching whatever we're in the mood for instead of trying to stick to a schedule and themes and any sense of obligation.
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Postby mliddell on Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:12 pm

The Lure was good. Saw it on a bunch of best of horror film lists of 2017 "so far". It was unique. Had a real good look. Good score and the criterion blu ray looked and sounded pretty great.
mliddell
Art Expert

Postby mliddell on Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:15 pm

bmerwinsuwc wrote:Spent Saturday at a Nightmare on Elm St. Marathon that included a Q&A with Clu Gulager and Jack Sholder. Didn't stay for the whole thing, but caught 1 through 5 on 35 mm.
Spent today working and plowing through Scream 1 through 4. Still one of my favorite franchises.
Trying to watch Hatchet 1 and 3 tomorrow night in preparation to see Victor Crowley Tuesday night.

The key to 31 in 31 this year has been watching whatever we're in the mood for instead of trying to stick to a schedule and themes and any sense of obligation.

After watching 1-5 recently, how would you personally rank them?. I saw Jack Sholder's The Hidden today actually. I really like that movie and it's green tinged look. Met Mark Patton (of Nightmare 2) at a horror convention (my first one) earlier this year. He was cool. Seemed open / honest. I believe he has a documentary coming out on Netflix this month. Not sure if it's on there yet.
mliddell
Art Expert

Postby bmerwinsuwc on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:25 am

mliddell wrote:
bmerwinsuwc wrote:Spent Saturday at a Nightmare on Elm St. Marathon that included a Q&A with Clu Gulager and Jack Sholder. Didn't stay for the whole thing, but caught 1 through 5 on 35 mm.

After watching 1-5 recently, how would you personally rank them?. I saw Jack Sholder's The Hidden today actually. I really like that movie and it's green tinged look. Met Mark Patton (of Nightmare 2) at a horror convention (my first one) earlier this year. He was cool. Seemed open / honest. I believe he has a documentary coming out on Netflix this month. Not sure if it's on there yet.

Patton was at my local horror convention this year, and he seems like a very nice guy. I was hoping he'd have copies of his doc, "Scream, Queen," but no luck.
As for the Nightmare films, they're hard for me to rank, as my love for all of them is so tinged with nostalgia and because I like some of them for very different reasons.
To me, Nightmare 1 is a classic that's ranked in my top 5 of all time. I also absolutely love New Nightmare, though I know lots of folks dislike it or don't consider it canon.

I'd rank them as follows:
Nightmare 1
Dream Warriors (thus competing Nancy's arc)
New Nightmare
F v. J
Freddy's Revenge (the one that's grown on me most over time.
Dream Master
Dream Child
Freddy's Dead (the only film in the series I rarely feel compelled to revisit)
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Postby RambosRemodeler on Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:10 am

bmerwinsuwc wrote:Finally saw the Poughkeepsie Tapes last night and was thoroughly underwhelmed. As a fan of true crime TV shows, I appreciated the setup and some of the things the film was trying to do, but I was expecting so much more. I'd definitely be interested to hear what other folks thought.

I have spoken to others that feel the same way. Movie has been talked about for so long and it was pretty tough to find for quite a few years. I think that only fueled the buzz which led to a bunch of people being disappointed. I saw it quite a few years back and I actually think it might have been the post I started this thread with. It has been awhile since I have seen it but I love it. I think the way that the film was shot makes it feel real.

bmerwinsuwc wrote:

Yep. Tried to plan it this year and a huge bulk of the films this year have been off list.

mliddell wrote:The Lure was good. Saw it on a bunch of best of horror film lists of 2017 "so far". It was unique. Had a real good look. Good score and the criterion blu ray looked and sounded pretty great.

Wish more people here would see it. That movie was awesome. Definitely one of my favorites. I could totally see a ton of people hating it though.

Big update coming
7. Ghostwatch (3/5) - I wanted to like it more and I love how this was released/presented in '92 but I was bored for large parts of the film. (Prime)
8. Magic (4/5) - Might be new favorite Anthony Hopkins role :shock: (Prime/Shudder) I can't remember which.
9. The Forgotten (3.5/5) - Disregard the shitty nextflix box art. Pretty good character driven ghost story. A bit light on scares but worth a watch. (Netflix)
10. When The Lights Went Out (1.5/5) -
11. The Incubus (2/5) - sounded like a lot of fun. Sadly it was not. I really wanted to like it but not much worked here. (Prime)
12. Hell House LLC (4/5) (re-watch) (Prime)
13. We Go On (3.5/5) - Another one that is light on scares but I thought it was pretty solid. The only cringe worthy stuff was when the material got heavy and the characters had to convey any real sadness/emotion. (Prime)
14. Beyond The Darkness (4/5) - I think this is the first D'amato film I have seen. This movie was something :shock: I'd recommend it to anyone who is a fan of giallos. (Shudder/Prime)
15. Better Watch Out (3.5/5) - I'd avoid any trailers for this one. Kind of hard not to spoil the movie if there's a 2 minute trailer out there. Definitely not what I was expecting but it was a fun movie. (VOD)
16. The Babysitter (3.5/5) - I do not like McG movies and dude has the douchiest name in hollywood. This was a complete surprise. I thought the movie was a blast from start to finish. Had some issues with the way the film was edited but overall worth a watch.

We have also watched 24 shorts. Some better than others. A few standouts : The Home (Prime), He took his skin off for me (youtube), Alma (youtube) (might be my favorite of the bunch), pictured (youtube and also by the dude who did lights out), white with red (youtube), the black hole (youtube) and endless (youtube).

This has been one of the best years of 31 in 31. Most of the stuff we have watched has been pretty decent.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.

Postby mliddell on Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:06 pm

bmerwinsuwc wrote:
mliddell wrote:

Patton was at my local horror convention this year, and he seems like a very nice guy. I was hoping he'd have copies of his doc, "Scream, Queen," but no luck.
As for the Nightmare films, they're hard for me to rank, as my love for all of them is so tinged with nostalgia and because I like some of them for very different reasons.
To me, Nightmare 1 is a classic that's ranked in my top 5 of all time. I also absolutely love New Nightmare, though I know lots of folks dislike it or don't consider it canon.

I'd rank them as follows:
Nightmare 1
Dream Warriors (thus competing Nancy's arc)
New Nightmare
F v. J
Freddy's Revenge (the one that's grown on me most over time.
Dream Master
Dream Child
Freddy's Dead (the only film in the series I rarely feel compelled to revisit)

Mine would be pretty close to this too. I really like New Nightmare.
mliddell
Art Expert

Postby mliddell on Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:13 pm

Here is what I've watched for horror since 10/1/17 (some aren't really horror but still have touches of it). I try to stay fun for the most part in October but I'm all over the place. I had a witch theme carrying over from last month and a vampire theme but tried to see ones I had never seen (I've seen Black Sunday, Burn witch Burn, The Witch, etc. etc. ) and tried finishing up sequels I'd never seen though some I have (I've seen Halloween II a ton)

Kiss of the Damned (2012)
See No Evil (1971)
Tremors 2 (1996)
Warlock: The Armageddon (1993)
Hotel Transylvania (2012)
Halloween II (1981)
Tremors 3: (2001)
The Nightmare isn't over: The making of Halloween II (2012)
Tremors 4 (2004)
Geralds Games (2017)
Tremors (1990)
Super Dark Times (2017)
Better Watch Out (2016)
Tremors 5 (2015)
Hotel Transylvania 2 (2015)
Ernest Scared Stupid (1991)
A Cure for Wellness (2016)
You're so Cool, Brewster! The story of Fright Night (2016)
Fright Night (1985)
Happy Death Day (2017)
Children of the Corn (1984)
Last house on the left (2009) Stephen King in his Dans Macabre footnote said it was the best horror film of the new century. He made a good argument.
The Lure (2015)
The Hidden (1987)
Creep (2014)
Warlock III (1999)
10/16 - 26
mliddell
Art Expert

Postby jlabbate on Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:00 am

jlabbate wrote:
mliddell wrote:Saw some newer horror films. Gerald's Game on Netflix. Thought it was good. The ending almost becomes another movie but I guess they stuck to the book (I did not read the book).

And a Christmas time messed up kids double feature: Super Dark Times and Better Watch Out. Both decent.

watched Gerald's Game late last week...solid thriller
and looking forward to Better Watch Out...looks like a pretty twisted horror com

Watched Better Watch Out last night and enjoyed it..fun black comedy..also watched Cult of Chucky..dreadful..90 minutes of your time are better spent elsewhere doing almost anything other than watching this film
jlabbate
Art Freak

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Postby bmerwinsuwc on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:03 pm

Just got back from a screening of Victor Crowley, which was followed by a Q&A with Adam Green.
If you enjoy that series, and especially the first Hatchet, I highly recommend it. It was funny and gory and generally incredibly fun.
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Postby fanboy on Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:38 am

My lady and I are also attempting the 31/31. I was sticking to the list from HorrorHound but have started to go off list recently. I'm trying to see new stuff, but having a hard time finding things digitally that fit that bill. So, lots of first timers for her and revisiting classics. Parentheses indicate the theme of the day when we used it.

1 - Poltergeist (Movie from your birth year)(Her year, 1982)
2 - Body Bags (Anthology)
3 - Scream 4 (Neve Campbell's birthday)
4 - Lifeforce (Tobe Hooper film)
5 - Tetsuo the Iron Man (Japanese horror)
6 - Christine (Killer car)
7 - Tucker and Dale vs Evil (Horror Comedy)
8 - Near Dark (RIP Bill Paxton)
9 - Frailty (Let someone else recommend a movie)
10 - The Awakening (Ghostly movie)
11 - Night of the Creeps (Movie set on Halloween)
12 - Critters (Lin Shaye's birthday)
13 - Friday the 13th V: A New Beginning (Friday the 13th)
14 - The Babysitter
15 - Slumber Party Massacre
16 - Cult of Chucky (Set in an asylum)
17 - Howling IV, Day of the Dead (RIP George Romero)
fanboy
Art Expert

ironjaiden wrote:I'm a whore so I'll draw whatever you want for a warm meal and a dirty hand job. Every artist is different.

Postby hunterjax on Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:59 am

I find I barely have the time to get in a few horror movies in October anymore, so I have gone from 31 for 31 to the Last 13 (trying to do a horror movie for the last 13 days up to and including Halloween.)

I'll start that tonight with Gerald's Game.

I was able to catch Friday the 13th parts 1 and 2 this weekend and started a re-watch of Stranger Things. Also watched Carpenter's the Thing this month.

I'm continually impressed with the recommendations and finds in this thread. Wish I had more time for movie-watching.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby RambosRemodeler on Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:18 pm

Death Spa 4.5/5 - Holy got damn fudge I cannot believe I waited this long. It's a blast. (Prime)
Thirst (79?) 4/5 - Really interesting Australian vampire flick.
Behind the Mask (re-watch) 4.5/5 - one of my favorite modern slashers.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV