The Official Horror Movie Thread

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:59 pm

Irishman12 wrote:Whenever Raw or Hounds of Love start streaming, can somebody please just give a heads up here? I'd like to see both. Thanks!

You can rent both on at least Amazon Prime, probably iTunes and/or others as well.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby bmerwinsuwc on Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:25 pm

I had a bunch of tedious work to plow through today, so I watched the 3 Boogeyman films… so you never have to.

Boogeyman had an interesting premise, but was generally pretty mediocre in all respects; there were moments where the cinematography felt particularly Raimi-esque, and some of the set design was actually pretty impressive, but the whole thing was pretty meh. I remember watching it back when it first came out and thinking it mostly sucked; a subsequent re-watch didn't change my opinion much.
Boogeyman 2 had much more of a Nightmare on Elm St. vibe, and the plot and overall film were considerably stronger as a result. The film builds on the Boogeyman mythos, introduces new elements, and plays nicely with slasher and supernatural tropes. Still not a great film by any means, but the best in the series.
Boogeyman 3, again, extended and expanded the existing universe while significantly shifting gears once more. There's a clear emphasis here on gore, better kills, and a higher body count. The film also felt decidedly like a 90s slasher with more gore.

There are small elements in all three of these films that I really enjoy (or that I think are done well), but none of the films really hang together all that successfully. I love the concept of the Boogeyman, however, so I can't resist this stuff. I wish someone would eventually make another great slasher/boogeyman film.
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Postby bmerwinsuwc on Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:54 pm

The Good Neighbor was a surprisingly good thriller. Things are a bit telegraphed, but solid overall. Definitely recommended if you have an evening to kill and you're not too put off by found footage hybrids.

Viral was better than I expected but nothing great. Average, run-of-the-mill virus/outbreak story. Similar in some respects of Slither, but without the budget or sense of humor. Some setup that never paid off, too. Not terrible, but there's plenty of better stuff out there.

Watching The Void tonight.
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Postby bmerwinsuwc on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:41 pm

Hell House LLC was a real letdown. The premise of folks building a hunted house in a haunted location has so much promise, but the level of stupidity exhibited by the characters killed it for me.

The films Lord of Tears is now streaming on Amazon Prime under the name "The Owl Man." It was weird… but good. Reminded me of Antichrist in a lot of ways. Not perfect, but definitely worth a watch.

It's not explicitly horror, but the Hulu series Dimension 404 is excellent. It's like a less-dark Black Mirror. Awesome stuff overall.
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Postby bmerwinsuwc on Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:39 pm

Watched "Here Alone" on Netflix and thoroughly enjoyed it. Gut-wrenching bit of indie horror.
Depending on your tastes, I also recommend "Boggy Creek Monster" on Prime. Really dug the tone, style, and the movie as a whole. If you like Bigfoot, check it out.
Not technically horror per se, but Riverdale was a ton of fun and was actually a good little murder mystery.
Things that sucked recently on Amazon Prime: "Scary Story Slumber Party," "The Midnight Matinee," and "All Hollows Eve."
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Postby RambosRemodeler on Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:22 pm

bmerwinsuwc wrote:Watched "Here Alone" on Netflix and thoroughly enjoyed it. Gut-wrenching bit of indie horror.
Depending on your tastes, I also recommend "Boggy Creek Monster" on Prime. Really dug the tone, style, and the movie as a whole. If you like Bigfoot, check it out.
Not technically horror per se, but Riverdale was a ton of fun and was actually a good little murder mystery.
Things that sucked recently on Amazon Prime: "Scary Story Slumber Party," "The Midnight Matinee," and "All Hollows Eve."

Don't forget the evil within on prime. Don't get the love at all. The production story way more interesting than the movie ever is.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.

Postby bmerwinsuwc on Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:37 pm

RambosRemodeler wrote:Don't forget the evil within on prime. Don't get the love at all. The production story way more interesting than the movie ever is.

Never heard of that; will check it out tonight.

Description for those interested: "A mentally handicapped boy who lives with his older brother is ordered by a sadistic creature in his dreams to go on a murderous rampage."
They had me at "sadistic creature in his dreams."
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Postby RambosRemodeler on Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:41 pm

bmerwinsuwc wrote:
RambosRemodeler wrote:Don't forget the evil within on prime. Don't get the love at all. The production story way more interesting than the movie ever is.

Never heard of that; will check it out tonight.

Description for those interested: "A mentally handicapped boy who lives with his older brother is ordered by a sadistic creature in his dreams to go on a murderous rampage."
They had me at "sadistic creature in his dreams."

Oh dude after reading the synopsis I was pumped. The low budget didn't bother me either. The movie just didn't work on any level for me. Definitely post your thoughts here and read about the production issues.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.

Postby frykitty on Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:12 pm

What We Do in the Shadows, maybe not exactly a horror, but I recommend entirely.. think of Flight of the Concords except with vampires..
frykitty
Art Connoisseur

ImageImageImage

Postby RambosRemodeler on Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:31 pm

frykitty wrote:What We Do in the Shadows, maybe not exactly a horror, but I recommend entirely.. think of Flight of the Concords except with vampires..

That was one of my favorite movies of that year. Its hilarious.

https://youtu.be/pKWB-MVJ4sQ

Really really liked this. One of the coolest monster designs I have ever seen.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Postby peacedog on Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:27 pm

RambosRemodeler wrote:
frykitty wrote:What We Do in the Shadows, maybe not exactly a horror, but I recommend entirely.. think of Flight of the Concords except with vampires..

That was one of my favorite movies of that year. Its hilarious.

Bat fight!

So much funny in that film. Putting the paper down as the girl is talking about her future aspirations... :lol:
peacedog
Art Expert

Postby peacedog on Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:50 pm

Slumber Party Massacre II (1987) popped into my head recently. You don't need to see pt. I. to enjoy it, wonderful '80s B horror.
peacedog
Art Expert

Postby fanboy on Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:11 am

I've been ripping through 80's horror (on VHS of course) while working on my masks lately.

Howling II - enjoyable Christopher Lee movie. But not as good as the original of course.
Howling III - I really enjoyed this one. Little different take on the werewolf myth.
XTRO - Creepy alien pod type movie. Some cool effects and a creepy midget clown.
Slumber Party Massacre II - Definitely enjoyable. That guitar!
Elvira Mistress of the Dark - Really enjoyed this. Not sure how I never saw it before. I love Elvira and her one liners.
Scream with the commentary - Enjoyed hearing Craven and Kevin Williamson talk about little details of the movie. Kind of a hard VHS to find.
Night of the Comet - Pretty cool apocolyptic zombie sorta thing.
Salem's Lot - Stephen King and Barlow. 'Nuff said.
The Barn - Very good new indy horror. Total 80's vibe.
Prom Night II - Enjoyed this sequel to the iconic 80's slasher.
Night Creature - Not even Donald Pleasance could make this good.
Ice Cream Man - Clint Howard! Need I say more?
Bloody Birthday - This was alright. Just alright.
Werewolf Woman - Actually pretty interesting for a super low budget from the late 70's.
fanboy
Art Expert

ironjaiden wrote:I'm a whore so I'll draw whatever you want for a warm meal and a dirty hand job. Every artist is different.

Postby SheilaC on Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:17 pm

Easily one of my all-time favorite movies! Hilarious.
SheilaC

Postby frykitty on Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:31 am

came across this artist, Steelberg, who makes retro VHS cases for new movies.. pretty cool.. makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside

frykitty
Art Connoisseur

ImageImageImage

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV