The Official Horror Movie Thread

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby peacedog on Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:36 pm

bmerwinsuwc wrote:
andruw000 wrote:IV, VI, and VII are my favorites. Though if I was going to do a triple feature, I'd pick two of those and finish with Jason X (excellent score).

I'm currently arguing for VI, VII, and X, since everyone will probably be pretty drunk by X, but the gf contends Part II HAS to be included.


Never met her, but I like this gal...
User avatar
peacedog
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:46 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado

Postby bmd1191 on Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:10 am

If i had to pick a top 3 to watch it would be 2,3, & 6.

Part 3 is definitely my favorite.
Also a bonus for me would be FvJ. My guilty pleasure lol.
User avatar
bmd1191
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1012
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:35 am
Location: NJ
Image

Postby bmerwinsuwc on Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:15 am

peacedog wrote:
bmerwinsuwc wrote:
andruw000 wrote:IV, VI, and VII are my favorites. Though if I was going to do a triple feature, I'd pick two of those and finish with Jason X (excellent score).

I'm currently arguing for VI, VII, and X, since everyone will probably be pretty drunk by X, but the gf contends Part II HAS to be included.


Never met her, but I like this gal...

Part II is actually my favorite as well. I think she and I will watch Part II while making food before everyone else arrives. Then watch 4, 6, and 7 with a crowd of drunks eating homemade pizza and buffalo wings. :pint:
User avatar
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1104
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:04 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Postby peacedog on Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:45 am

bmerwinsuwc wrote:
peacedog wrote:
bmerwinsuwc wrote:
andruw000 wrote:IV, VI, and VII are my favorites. Though if I was going to do a triple feature, I'd pick two of those and finish with Jason X (excellent score).

I'm currently arguing for VI, VII, and X, since everyone will probably be pretty drunk by X, but the gf contends Part II HAS to be included.


Never met her, but I like this gal...

Part II is actually my favorite as well. I think she and I will watch Part II while making food before everyone else arrives. Then watch 4, 6, and 7 with a crowd of drunks eating homemade pizza and buffalo wings. :pint:


My point was more, though tolerant of my taste in film, my ol' lady isn't planning dinner parties around slasher film holidays. :wink:
User avatar
peacedog
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:46 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado

Postby jlabbate on Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:46 am

bmerwinsuwc wrote:Friday the 13th is coming up. If you're putting together an F13 triple feature, which three do you watch?
This is the serious debate/argument happening in my house right now, so I'm curious what you all think.


1, 3 & 4
User avatar
jlabbate
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 15937
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:44 pm
Location: The BIG Apple
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Postby RambosRemodeler on Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:02 am

andruw000 wrote:
bmd1191 wrote:
RambosRemodeler wrote:Caught pyewacket last night. It’s directed by the dude who did back country a few years back. It is the slowest of slowest burns and I think a lot of people here will hate it but I thought it was drymounting incredible. I’ll post more once more people have seen it but I think it’s worth seeking out.


Watching Demon house tonight.


Pyewacket sounds right up my alley. Love slow burn horror movies as long as there is a decent payoff. Gonna check it out tonight.

Update: Thought Pyewacket was drymounting great. Slow burn for sure, but I thought the acting was great and I was invested throughout. Thanks for mentioning it in this thread Rambo.


Just finished Pyewacket. Great recommendation.


Glad y'all liked it. It definitely isn't for everyone but I think all horror fans should seek it out. I think it is the best horror film of 2018...so far.

Demon house was a huge pile of fudge. Do not recommend at all. I have been on a huge horror kick lately.

Midnighters 2/5
I remember you (eg man pig) Netflix 3.5/5
The Reef 3.5/5 - Liked this way more than I expected to.
Black Water 2.5/5 - a completely average killer croc flick.
The Corpse of Anna Fritz (Prime) 3.5/5 - Another movie that I didn't expect much from and ended up enjoying quite a bit. I assumed I knew where the movie was going right off the bat and I was wrong.
mon mon mon Monsters (Prime) 2/5 - Read/Heard a lot of buzz about this and I found it to be a chore to sit through. Idea was interesting but the execution left a lot to be desired.
Berlin Syndrome (Netflix) 3/5
Marrowbone 4/5 - I think this might end up being the most divisive flick on this list. You could accuse it of being extremely trite and predictable and you wouldn't be wrong. It's another slow burn that I think works really well despite knowing where the film is going. It gets really bogged down in the second half with unnecessary arcs but I still didn't think it took too much away from my enjoyment. I'd be curious to hear others thoughts about this because I do think a fair amount of you will hate it and it is totally understandable.
Lake Nowhere 3.5/5 - This is just a brisk 50 minute movie that is a ton of fun. Highly recommend for fans of slashers.
Ravenous (The zombie flick not the cannibal flick) (Netflix) 3.5/5
WNUF Halloween Special (Prime) 2/5 - Another flick that came highly recommended that I ended up not really liking. It is in the same vein as Ghostwatch which I also didn't really care for. It gets points for production value. It really looks like a newscast from the 80s complete with fake commercials. It just takes so long to get where it is going and the ride isn't really enjoyable. The payoff is pretty weak too.
Still/born 1.5/5 - NO
Terrifier (youtube short ) 4/5
Terrifier (Full length) 3.5/5 - Art the clown is one of the best additions to the horror baddies in quite some time. He's a blast to watch and a brutal SOB. The movie does feel pretty repetitive but watching art work is definitely worth watching. I hope they make more of them.
Cold Hell (Prime) 3/5
Your Date is Here (Youtube short) 3.5/5
User avatar
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 17868
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:35 pm
Image
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.

Postby HenryGaleWasHere on Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:33 pm

bmd1191 wrote:
RambosRemodeler wrote:Caught pyewacket last night. It’s directed by the dude who did back country a few years back. It is the slowest of slowest burns and I think a lot of people here will hate it but I thought it was drymounting incredible. I’ll post more once more people have seen it but I think it’s worth seeking out.


Watching Demon house tonight.


Pyewacket sounds right up my alley. Love slow burn horror movies as long as there is a decent payoff. Gonna check it out tonight.

Update: Thought Pyewacket was drymounting great. Slow burn for sure, but I thought the acting was great and I was invested throughout. Thanks for mentioning it in this thread Rambo.

+1
User avatar
HenryGaleWasHere
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 2318
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:14 pm

Postby bryndavies on Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:29 pm

I just tore through a host of movies on amazon, all of which were varying degrees of good to great imo.

Crush the skull
Hell house
Don’t hang up
Afflicted
Pet
User avatar
bryndavies
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 9811
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:44 pm
Location: The Last Frontier
ImageT.K.C.

Postby Slacking on Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:39 pm

Hereditary looks yummy, comes out in June.
https://youtu.be/V6wWKNij_1M
User avatar
Slacking
Art Enthusiast
 
Status: Active
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Santa Monica

Postby RambosRemodeler on Sat May 12, 2018 12:01 am

bryndavies wrote:I just tore through a host of movies on amazon, all of which were varying degrees of good to great imo.

Crush the skull
Hell house
Don’t hang up
Afflicted
Pet


Bmerin hated hell house but I loved it. I thought it was a blast. Afflicted is good too. Did not like pet much at all.


About to watch revenge. Really drymounting excited. Feels like I have been waiting forever to see it.
User avatar
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 17868
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:35 pm
Image
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.

Postby Slacking on Sat May 12, 2018 12:07 am

RambosRemodeler wrote:
bryndavies wrote:I just tore through a host of movies on amazon, all of which were varying degrees of good to great imo.

Crush the skull
Hell house
Don’t hang up
Afflicted
Pet


Bmerin hated hell house but I loved it. I thought it was a blast. Afflicted is good too. Did not like pet much at all.


About to watch revenge. Really drymounting excited. Feels like I have been waiting forever to see it.

:clap:
User avatar
Slacking
Art Enthusiast
 
Status: Active
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Santa Monica

Postby dweebofthedead on Sat May 12, 2018 11:34 am

RambosRemodeler wrote:About to watch revenge. Really drymounting excited. Feels like I have been waiting forever to see it.


Watched it yesterday. I dug it.
User avatar
dweebofthedead
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 5341
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:24 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Postby bmerwinsuwc on Sun May 13, 2018 10:17 am

The end of the semester means doing a bunch of grunt work while plowing through Amazon Prime flicks:
Final Exam was a silly but fun early 80s slasher.
Witch Hunt was uneven, with a fun premise but minimal payoff.
50 Best Horror Movies You've Never Seen was prefect background noise, and it was a pretty solid list (though nothing new for hardcore fans)
Monsters Among Us is a fun watch, especially if you like doc-style TV. Nothing new or especially groundbreaking, but an enjoyable series of episodes, each focusing on a horror trope.
I had never seen The Last Broadcast, but decided to check it out since it has a reputation for being a found footage gem released right before Blair Witch. I've never been so bored by something supposedly about the Jersey Devil. (And I say this as someone who love Blair Witch and has a sizable soft spot for found footage horror… even some of the worse stuff.)

Mother's Day means a triple feature of Mommy Dearest, Carrie, and Flesh Eating Mothers (the last of which is streaming on Prime).
User avatar
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1104
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:04 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Postby jlabbate on Tue May 15, 2018 9:42 am

dweebofthedead wrote:
RambosRemodeler wrote:About to watch revenge. Really drymounting excited. Feels like I have been waiting forever to see it.


Watched it yesterday. I dug it.


saw it last night myself..beautifully shot, but brings nothing new to the exploitation genre, and not nearly as savage as the reviews I read made it out to be
User avatar
jlabbate
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 15937
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:44 pm
Location: The BIG Apple
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Postby RambosRemodeler on Tue May 15, 2018 1:11 pm

jlabbate wrote:
dweebofthedead wrote:
RambosRemodeler wrote:About to watch revenge. Really drymounting excited. Feels like I have been waiting forever to see it.


Watched it yesterday. I dug it.


saw it last night myself..beautifully shot, but brings nothing new to the exploitation genre, and not nearly as savage as the reviews I read made it out to be


While it might not bring anything new to the table, it doesn't take away from the fact that it is a pretty good movie. It is beautifully shot. Really dug the music too. I felt like parts of the film were a bit on the nose for my taste (the phoenix) but that is one tough woman and I thought the climax was pretty incredible.
User avatar
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 17868
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:35 pm
Image
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests