The Official Horror Movie Thread

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby bmerwinsuwc on Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:50 pm

CAM was enjoyable and fun, but I thought the ending was weak. I liked the Black Mirror-style plot, and the performance of the main character was surprisingly good, but I wanted more from it.

Summer of 84 was OK, but it was another flick I wish had ended 10 minutes early. Nothing special, but not atrocious either. If you can stream it and have time to kill, it's decent.

Watching Searching tomorrow and really looking forward to it.
User avatar
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1112
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:04 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Postby Irishman12 on Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:29 pm

I watched both the original CARRIE as well as the 2013 remake. The original is such a classic and this was my first time viewing it in 1080p. The picture, as one would expect, was much improved and probably my most enjoyable time watching it. Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie give such wonderful, horrific, and heartbreaking performances. This was my first time seeing the remake and one of the problems I had with it (other than the fact much of the dialogue was verbatim from the original), was I didn't believe the performances of Chloe Grace Moretz and Julianne Moore. Which I was surprised by Moore as I actually enjoy her work and thought she would have been wonderful as Carrie's mother. However, most if not all performances in this film, just seemed to lack empathy.
User avatar
Irishman12
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1565
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:42 pm
Location: The Villa Quatro

Postby Irishman12 on Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:26 pm

Today I watched both SINISTER and SINISTER 2. I saw the original years ago and it did nothing for me but had never seen the sequel. After rewatching the original and seeing the sequel for the first time, they both still don't do anything for me. Lackluster films that overstay their welcome with a villain that's hardly seen. I can understand why they stopped at 2 films (probably should have stopped after the first)
User avatar
Irishman12
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1565
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:42 pm
Location: The Villa Quatro

Postby bmerwinsuwc on Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:22 pm

Really, really enjoyed "Searching." For future reference, *that* is how you make a film where the vast majority of the action is taking place on desktops and smartphones.
User avatar
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1112
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:04 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Postby caseyg1986 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:48 pm

Irishman12 wrote:Today I watched both SINISTER and SINISTER 2. I saw the original years ago and it did nothing for me but had never seen the sequel. After rewatching the original and seeing the sequel for the first time, they both still don't do anything for me. Lackluster films that overstay their welcome with a villain that's hardly seen. I can understand why they stopped at 2 films (probably should have stopped after the first)

Yeah, I agree with all of this. The only memorable part for me was the lawnmower scene in the first one.
User avatar
caseyg1986
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 705
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:48 pm
Location: Glendora, CA
Image

Postby peacedog on Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:13 pm

I watched Krampus for the first time last night whilst wrapping Christmas gifts. They had some real potential there, the first half was a great build and then just flat. I guess they blew the budget on the gingerbread men effects because Krampus was weak.

Mike, hoping to catch JoeBob's Christmas line up, they're hinting it's the Silent Night movie marathon. His Monstervision was part of my formative years for sure, the man understands b-cinema better than anyone. I just happened to be looking hm up fro nostalgia sake and saw he crashed the network with his return to the air at Thanksgiving. Awesome.
User avatar
peacedog
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3102
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:46 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado

Postby RambosRemodeler on Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:11 pm

peacedog wrote:I watched Krampus for the first time last night whilst wrapping Christmas gifts. They had some real potential there, the first half was a great build and then just flat. I guess they blew the budget on the gingerbread men effects because Krampus was weak.

Mike, hoping to catch JoeBob's Christmas line up, they're hinting it's the Silent Night movie marathon. His Monstervision was part of my formative years for sure, the man understands b-cinema better than anyone. I just happened to be looking hm up fro nostalgia sake and saw he crashed the network with his return to the air at Thanksgiving. Awesome.


Dude all the JBB fudge is great. Most of them are films I’ve seen and some I don’t care for but I watched them again just to see him talk about them.

Finally getting around to watching Dial Code Santa Claus tonight. Looking forward to it
User avatar
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 17919
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:35 pm
Image
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.

Postby whiskaz on Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:56 pm

RambosRemodeler wrote:
peacedog wrote:I watched Krampus for the first time last night whilst wrapping Christmas gifts. They had some real potential there, the first half was a great build and then just flat. I guess they blew the budget on the gingerbread men effects because Krampus was weak.

Mike, hoping to catch JoeBob's Christmas line up, they're hinting it's the Silent Night movie marathon. His Monstervision was part of my formative years for sure, the man understands b-cinema better than anyone. I just happened to be looking hm up fro nostalgia sake and saw he crashed the network with his return to the air at Thanksgiving. Awesome.


Dude all the JBB fudge is great. Most of them are films I’ve seen and some I don’t care for but I watched them again just to see him talk about them.

Finally getting around to watching Dial Code Santa Claus tonight. Looking forward to it


Yea. Stoked JBB is back. Glad The Last Drive-In was not actually the last. I'm pretty sure Phantasm 1, 3, 4 and 5 are on tap tonight. Kinda sucks they don't have the licensing for 2. I'm pretty sick of licensing bs when it comes to streaming services.
User avatar
whiskaz
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 2106
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 1:15 pm

Postby RambosRemodeler on Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:03 pm

This is a pretty cool thing for me and others as well I’m sure . Joe Bob introduced me to these movies as a kid so it’s pretyy awesome to be able to watch these as an adult with commentary from him.
User avatar
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 17919
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:35 pm
Image
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.

Postby mliddell on Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:26 pm

peacedog wrote:I watched Krampus for the first time last night whilst wrapping Christmas gifts. They had some real potential there, the first half was a great build and then just flat. I guess they blew the budget on the gingerbread men effects because Krampus was weak.

Mike, hoping to catch JoeBob's Christmas line up, they're hinting it's the Silent Night movie marathon. His Monstervision was part of my formative years for sure, the man understands b-cinema better than anyone. I just happened to be looking hm up fro nostalgia sake and saw he crashed the network with his return to the air at Thanksgiving. Awesome.



I thought for sure they'd be playing silent night deadly night series too. They are fun and all but I'm glad they picked Phantasm. Great surprise and even though I've seen all those movies a ton and read about them i'm still finding out new stuff. I love Phantasm. As far as being Christmasy they have a roaring fireplace and the movies all about friends and family on both sides of the camera. I'll be watching till dawn.
User avatar
mliddell
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:36 pm
Location: MA

Postby peacedog on Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:36 am

Still sticks with his tease of not needing to worry about the plot! :wink:
User avatar
peacedog
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3102
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:46 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado

Postby mliddell on Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:24 am

Last Phantasm movie coming up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHuOAnSeF_c
User avatar
mliddell
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:36 pm
Location: MA

Postby mliddell on Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:48 am

That was great got done around 5:48am here in MA. Looking forward to more Job Bob hosting on Shudder in 2019 and Phantasm as always is amazing.
User avatar
mliddell
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:36 pm
Location: MA

Postby bmerwinsuwc on Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:16 am

Finally saw Bird Box last night and was thoroughly underwhelmed as a whole.
The premise is great, the monsters are very Lovecraftian, and there are moments in the beginning where I thought the movie shined, but I don't get the hype on this one. It's like praise for a horror movie from people who have never watched horror movies.
Though it did make me want to go back and read the book.
User avatar
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1112
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:04 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Postby iwokeinrelief on Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:36 pm

bmerwinsuwc wrote:Finally saw Bird Box last night and was thoroughly underwhelmed as a whole.
The premise is great, the monsters are very Lovecraftian, and there are moments in the beginning where I thought the movie shined, but I don't get the hype on this one. It's like praise for a horror movie from people who have never watched horror movies.
Though it did make me want to go back and read the book.

Was there hype on this one? Every review I’ve seen had this as pretty mediocre. I liked the book, and was excited in theory, but have seen nothing once it was released that actually makes me want to see it.
User avatar
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 2032
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:04 pm
Location: DALLAS

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests