The Official Horror Movie Thread

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:25 am

Not really horror horror but The Untamed is out there for digital rentals. I love this movie.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5265960/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby RambosRemodeler on Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:04 pm

Cinlabyrinth wrote:Not really horror horror but The Untamed is out there for digital rentals. I love this movie.

Saw it last week and I feel the complete opposite. It was a lesser possession. It dealt with stuff that possession didn't but due to the dissolution of marriage and da alien, its impossible not to draw the comparisons. I thought parts of the film really worked but overall I thought it was a miss. I really wanted to love it. Anyone who liked UTS/Possession should give it a shot. I would love to hear other peoples opinions on it.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:27 pm

RambosRemodeler wrote:
Cinlabyrinth wrote:Not really horror horror but The Untamed is out there for digital rentals. I love this movie.

Saw it last week and I feel the complete opposite. It was a lesser possession. It dealt with stuff that possession didn't but due to the dissolution of marriage and da alien, its impossible not to draw the comparisons. I thought parts of the film really worked but overall I thought it was a miss. I really wanted to love it. Anyone who liked UTS/Possession should give it a shot. I would love to hear other peoples opinions on it.

I thought it was trying to touch on masculinity in hispanic (mexican) culture, the machismo and also the homophobic tendencies while at the same time being very homoerotic. Granted i didn't see all that myself and had someone explain some of it to me, but it made sense to me after.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby SPAC04 on Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:25 am

watched Cube, Hyper Cube, and Cube Zero. Hyper Cube (all on Netflix) was meh but the other two were good enough to watch.

TRAIN TO BUSAN was just plain amazing, and probably my favorite Zombie film since Dawn of the Dead 2004, very well done.
SPAC04
Art Expert

Postby mliddell on Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:55 am

Happy Halloween all.

Here is my October horror movie watching.

What did everyone else watch - Put * next to standouts.

Postby mliddell on Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:13 pm

Here is what I've watched for horror since 10/1/17 (some aren't really horror but still have touches of it). I try to stay fun for the most part in October but I'm all over the place. I had a witch theme carrying over from last month and a vampire theme but tried to see ones I had never seen (I've seen Black Sunday, Burn witch Burn, The Witch, etc. etc. ) and tried finishing up sequels I'd never seen though some I have (I've seen Halloween II a ton). An Italian movie theme developed too.

Kiss of the Damned (2012)
See No Evil (1971)
Tremors 2 (1996)
Warlock: The Armageddon (1993)
Hotel Transylvania (2012)
Halloween II (1981)
Tremors 3: (2001)
The Nightmare isn't over: The making of Halloween II (2012)
Tremors 4 (2004)
Geralds Games (2017)
Tremors (1990)
Super Dark Times (2017)
Better Watch Out (2016)
Tremors 5 (2015)
Hotel Transylvania 2 (2015)
Ernest Scared Stupid (1991)
A Cure for Wellness (2016)
You're so Cool, Brewster! The story of Fright Night (2016)
Fright Night (1985)
Happy Death Day (2017)
Children of the Corn (1984)
Last house on the left (2009) Stephen King in his Dans Macabre footnote said it was the best horror film of the new century. He made a good argument.
The Lure (2015)
The Hidden (1987)
Creep (2014)
Warlock III (1999)
Don;t Torture a Ducking (1972)
Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Rawhead Rex (1986)
Warlock (1989)
The Devil's work: An interview with Steve Miner (2017)
Satan's Son: Interview with Julian Sands (2017)
Mary Reilly (1996) (i whispered the title)
Rockula (1990)
Bram Stokers Dracula (1992)
Summer of Fear (1978)
The Belko Experiment (2016)
Friday the 13th the Final Chapter (1984)
Berlin Syndrome (2017)
Southbound (2015)
Last Shift (2014)
Friday the 13th VI jason lives (1986)
Faust (1926)
Burning Bright (2010)
The Wraith (1986)
Road Games (1981)
Evolution (2015)
Excision (2012)
The Objective (2008)
Hack O Lantern (1988)
The Power is in the Blood (2017 short doc)
Evil Dead Trap (1988)
Inferno (1980)
Black Sunday (1960)
The House by the Cemetery (1981)
I come in Peace (1990)
Jigsaw (2017)
Orgy of the Dead (1965)
Impressions of Nadejda (2017 short doc/interview)
The Sinful Dwarf (1973)
The Beyond (1981)
Return of the Living Dead (1985)
The Witch (2015)
The Craft (1996)
Creepshow 2 (1987)
Screenplay for a Sequel (short 2016)
Demons (1985)
Burn WItch Burn (1962)
Silver Bullett (1985)
Drag me to Hell (2009)
The Lift (1983)
Halloween (1978)

Some Stand outs for me. Not going to mention Halloween or things like that we all know them.

Burn Witch Burn - Great look , atmospheric, one of the best Witch / witchcraft movies. Other Witch movie highlights The Craft gets funner as time goes on (I bind you nancy).
The Lift directed, scored, written by Dick Maas. As the notes in the blue underground say has a Stephen King type concept with a Carpenter feel. I agree. Loved it.
Orgy of the Dead + Vinegar Syndrome blu rays. Orgy of the Dead is just fun to have on. You don't need to watch or pay attention to it. If you had friends over and were having drinks wanted to talk it's good atmospheric and written by Ed Wood. I really like Vinegar Syndrome blu rays. They do a great job on all technical aspects and they release movies I haven't always heard of. They have a "USA Up All Night" feel (that show hosted by Rhonda and Gilbert Godfrey sometimes). And good to watch late at night. Also good making ofs.
Burning Bright had a great concept: Trapped in a house with your autistic brother and a tiger that hasn't eaten for two weeks during a hurricane.
Wes Craven's Summer of Fear w/ Linda Blair. Was like a fun horror soap opera with a brady bunch sitcom feel. That might not sell it but I thought it was fun.
Excision: I thought this was a rare little gem.
Tremors movies. Love the original and really liked all the sequels. They're all loveable and put me smile.
Silver Bullet: I love this movie. Saw it when i was young. Friends would joke around about that drunk dad watching wrestling and says things like "bust up my pots i'll bust up yo ass". Plus you could watch this as a 4th of July horror movie (pair it with Uncle Sam) even though it's 4th of July in September, has a great look and score very fallish, and the finale is on Halloween.
See No Evil and Powerhouse Indicator blu rays. THis Mia Farrow starring thriller was a fun time and well made. Also Powerhouse indicator blu rays are pretty much always region free, great technical side on the picture and sound and always come with a nice booklet like Criterions.

Other as always awesome watches. Road Games/ The Wraith double feature - Creepshow 2 was real fun and great score. Black Sunday's beautiful cinematography and gothic atmosphere,
mliddell
Art Expert

Postby jlabbate on Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:05 pm

Not a huge fan of the Saw series by any means, but Jigsaw was rather ho-hum
jlabbate
Art Freak

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Postby mliddell on Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:01 pm

Agree. Same here.
mliddell
Art Expert

Postby Irishman12 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:23 pm

For a SAW film, I agree. It seemed to be a repeat of SAW V. Plus I figured out the killer before the reveal so I was disappointed overall.
Irishman12
Art Connoisseur

Postby hunterjax on Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:31 pm

Finally got around to watching Raw. Thought it was good, but I not sure I get all the hype.

Also watched Carpenter's The Fog (which someone mentioned a page or two ago) after not having seen it since the early 90s. Definitely holds up.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby Irishman12 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:19 pm

What I was able to watch during October/November was:

1) HALLOWEEN
2) HALLOWEEN II
3) HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH
4) HALLOWEEN 4: THE RETURN OF MICHAEL MYERS
5) HALLOWEEN 5: THE REVENGE OF MICHAEL MYERS
6) HALLOWEEN: THE CURSE OF MICHAEL MYERS
7) HALLOWEEN: H2O
8 ) HALLOWEEN: RESURRECTION
9) ROB ZOMBIE'S HALLOWEEN
10) ROB ZOMBIE'S HALLOWEEN II
11) THE FOG
12) TERROR TRAIN
13) PROM NIGHT
14) JIGSAW
15) DEEP RED
16) SUSPIRIA
17) INFERNO
18) TENEBRE
19) PHENOMENA

The three I still have left are OPERA, MOTHER OF TEARS (which I've never seen before but complete's Argento's Three Mothers Trilogy), and TORSO. I don't know why but I got on a giallo kick towards the middle of the month. I've had some of these Dario Agrento movies around for quite a while that I'd been meaning to get to and there was no better time than Halloween. I had seen all of them before with the exception of TENEBRE and PHENOMENA. I definitely enjoyed his work on the others more after these recent viewings.
Irishman12
Art Connoisseur

Postby bmerwinsuwc on Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:41 pm

Recently watched:
Really loved Joe Lynch's "Mayhem." A ton of fun, and Yuen is awesome in it. Definitely recommend if you want something bonkers and fun.
Houses October Built 2 was surprisingly fun, though I also enjoyed the original; I wouldn't recommend it if you weren't charmed by the first entry, however.
Found Footage 3D was… much better than I expected. If you have Shudder and some free time, it's worth a watch.
Mindhunter is delightful; if you have Netflix and enjoy true crime, I'd say it's a much watch.
Troll Hunter is still a perennial pleasant surprise… I always forget how great it is and then am pleasantly surprised every time I've re-watched it.
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Previous

Return to Cinema/TV