The Criterion Collection

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby FrankBooth on Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:31 am

iwokeinrelief wrote:I've never heard of The Face of Another before; is it currently only available on the OOP Hiroshi Teshigahara DVD set?

As far as physical, yeah think just that set. Hope they update for Bluray soon.

Believe Film Struck also has it for streaming.
FrankBooth
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImage Image

Postby iwokeinrelief on Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:45 am

FrankBooth wrote:
iwokeinrelief wrote:I've never heard of The Face of Another before; is it currently only available on the OOP Hiroshi Teshigahara DVD set?

As far as physical, yeah think just that set. Hope they update for Bluray soon.

Believe Film Struck also has it for streaming.

Probably need to jump on Film Struck; likely will wade through my physical-backlog for a while first though; but thanks, I hadn't even thought of that!

Bluray update would be awesome though.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:51 am

I'd be interested in checking out you guys' Top Ten Criterion lists if you feel like putting them together. I'm gonna try to narrow it down to my ten faves.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby RottenAtom on Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:14 am

That was fun/tough. Some of these could change depending on the day, but I'd say most of them would be in the top 10 most of the time.

1. Brazil
2. Barry Lyndon
3. Ran
4. Do the Right Thing
5. Three Colors Trilogy
6. Le Cercle Rouge
7. Ace in the Hole
8. My Man Godfrey
9. Chungking Express
10. Dazed and Confused

Honorable Mention:

Rosemary’s Baby
The Killing
The Third Man
Dr. Strangelove
The 39 Steps
Seven Samurai
Black Orpheus
Black Narcissus
The Thin Red Line
Hard Boiled
Thief
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby iwokeinrelief on Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:50 am

RottenAtom wrote:I'd be interested in checking out you guys' Top Ten Criterion lists if you feel like putting them together. I'm gonna try to narrow it down to my ten faves.

My number 1 is Last Year in Marienbad; top five would include Throne of Blood, Brazil, Three Colors and Seventh Seal/Seven Samurai in some order. I'll need to give that more thought though...
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:11 am

iwokeinrelief wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:I'd be interested in checking out you guys' Top Ten Criterion lists if you feel like putting them together. I'm gonna try to narrow it down to my ten faves.

My number 1 is Last Year in Marienbad; top five would include Throne of Blood, Brazil, Three Colors and Seventh Seal/Seven Samurai in some order. I'll need to give that more thought though...

The Seventh Seal and Seven Samurai were two of the first Criterions I purchased way way back in the day. I didn't know anything about Kurosawa or Bergman, I just thought they looked cool. I loved Seven Samurai and was underwhelmed by/not ready for The Seventh Seal. Never seen Throne of Blood despite loving Ran so much. Not sure what I'm waiting for.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby iwokeinrelief on Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:19 am

RottenAtom wrote:
iwokeinrelief wrote:

The Seventh Seal and Seven Samurai were two of the first Criterions I purchased way way back in the day. I didn't know anything about Kurosawa or Bergman, I just thought they looked cool. I loved Seven Samurai and was underwhelmed by/not ready for The Seventh Seal. Never seen Throne of Blood despite loving Ran so much. Not sure what I'm waiting for.

Throne of Blood is a personal favorite - but it is driven by my being a complete lit-nerd and the Macbeth/Kurosawa crossover is just too much for me to resist; Ran is right out of my top five, but mostly because I like Macbeth more than Lear. My top 10 could be really Kurosawa heavy...

Yeah, the DVDs of The Seventh Seal and Seven Samurai were two of my first as well; had seen Seven Samurai previously (my dad is a fan so I saw it growing up) and I was aware of The Seventh Seal through reputation, frequent references to it through pop-culture, and the glowing write-up in my VideoHound guide. I liked it the first time I watched, and loved it through subsequent viewings (especially with the bluray upgrade). But it's definitely a grower.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Postby jlabbate on Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:56 am

my top ten that are in my collection:

in no order:
Repo Man
Seven Samurai
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Brazil
Dressed to Kill
Silence of The Lambs
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Blow Out
La Cage Aux Folles
12 Angry Men

FYI that Ingmar Berman box set that was just announced...WOW! :drool: :jawdropper: :pint: :clap:
jlabbate
Art Freak

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Postby FrankBooth on Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:17 am

Right now (Until Robocopgets its rightful Bluray release!)

No order

Army of Shadows
Ran
Dekalog (If that can count as one giant release)
Blood Simple
The Killing of a Chinese Bookie
PlayTime
The Night of the Hunter
Down By Law
The Face of Another
Street of Shame
FrankBooth
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImage Image

Postby RottenAtom on Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:03 pm

Nice lists! :clap:

The art on that Repo Man cover is some of Jay's best. Fantastic Mr. Fox, Blow Out, 12 Angry Men, Dekalog, Blood Simple, Playtime, Night of the Hunter, Silence of the Lambs, and Down By Law are all great. Never seen Army of Shadows and I wish I picked it up before it went out of print as I love Melville. Never seen The Face of Another, Street of Shame or The Killing of a Chinese Bookie. (Adding them to the list)

iwokeinrelief- I like Macbeth more than King Lear as well. Gonna have to grab Throne of Blood from the library and check it out soon.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby Irishman12 on Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:03 pm

iwokeinrelief wrote:Nice pick-ups! I've got Heaven's Gate from a Half Price Books sale earlier this year; it's loooong, so I haven't found the time for it. And goddamn do I love Stalker (picked up the blu of it through this sale, had been almost 20 years since I saw it, and it was so nice to see the gold tones in HD).

The "already seen, but can't resist the HD transfer" pickups:

Stalker
Solaris
Dr Strangelove
Modern Times
The Gold Rush
City Lights
The Great Dictator
Rashomon
Kagemusha
Throne of Blood
High and Low
The Hidden Fortress
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World
The Virgin Spring
The New World
Days of Heaven
Line Wolf and Cub
Fantastic Planet
If…
The Sword of Doom
Vampyr

And the "brand new to me / filling in gaps" pickups:

Blind Chance
Good Morning
Pale Flower
Seconds
Tokyo Drifter
Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion
Persona
An Actor's Revenge
Sansho the Bailiff
The Freshman
Safety Last
Complete Lady Snowblood
Phoenix
Night and Fog
Le Samouraï
Satyricon
Eyes Without a Face
The Exterminating Angel
Carnival of Souls
The Lure
Black Moon
Ivan’s Childhood
Harakiri
Three Outlaw Samurai
El Sur
The Executioner
The Magician
Kuroneko
Code Unknown
The Ballad of Narayama
Eclipse: Silent Ozo
Eclipse: Pearls of the Czech New Wave
Eclipse: Nikkatsu Noir
Eclipse: When Horror Came to Shochiku

As others have said, great lists on both sides! I too love Japanese cinema, especially those released by Criterion. Enjoy LADY SNOWBLOOD as it's Meiko Kaji's best role. The sequel isn't as good as the original, which is a classic. Also enjoy HARAKIRI. It's in black and white but still beautifully shot. One of my favorites. If you haven't checked them out, also seek out JIGOKU and ONIBABA. They're both Criterion releases as well.

https://www.criterion.com/films/797-jigoku

https://www.criterion.com/films/665-onibaba

As for Kurosawa, THRONE OF BLOOD is definitely towards the top of my list as well but my favorite film of his is RASHOMON. Toss in YOJIMBO, SANJURO and THE HIDDEN FORTRESS. I enjoy THE SEVEN SAMURAI, KAGEMUSHA and RAN but they're towards the bottom for me.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby hunterjax on Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:19 pm

Also top heavy with Kurasawa; no particular order (top 12)

Throne of Blood
Hidden Fortress
Yojimbo
Tokyo Drifter
Brazil
Lone Wolf and Cub Box Set
Zatoichi Box Set
Straw Dogs
On the Waterfront
Repo Man
Blood Simple
The Game

honorable mention: Lady Snowblood Box Set

don't own on Criterion yet, but will be top 10: Friends of Eddie Coyle
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby RottenAtom on Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:00 pm

Just met up with RN for a nice lunch and then hit up B&N to do some more damage. I blame all you enablers. Picked up the following:

Throne of Blood
Dragon Inn
Midnight Cowboy
The Last Temptation of Christ
Actor's Revenge
The Age of Innocence

hunterjax wrote:don't own on Criterion yet, but will be top 10: Friends of Eddie Coyle

Funny you mention that one. I was trying to limit myself to five and for the last pick I was debating Actor's Revenge, Age of Innocence, and Friends of Eddie Coyle. I let the old lady at the counter choose and she picked Age of Innocence. Then when I was going to put the other's back on the shelf, I decided to get Actor's Revenge too. Never seen Friends of Eddie Coyle, but I will probably grab it before the sale's over. They had a lot of new stock since my trip last week. Lots of stuff gone too though.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby hunterjax on Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:12 pm

Its a classic and I read a good write up of the Criterion version. The book is an all-time great crime fiction novel.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby deancc on Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:43 am

In the Mood for Love
Mulholland Drive
Pan's Labyrinth
Ran
Tokyo Story
Persona
Anti-Christ
Rosemary's Baby
Rebecca
Dead Man
deancc
Art Expert