The Criterion Collection

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby omgkitty on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:35 pm

About Criterion

Since 1984, the Criterion Collection, a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films, has been dedicated to gathering the greatest films from around the world and publishing them in editions that offer the highest technical quality and award-winning, original supplements. Over the years, as we moved from laserdisc to DVD, Blu-ray disc, and online streaming, we’ve seen a lot of things change, but one thing has remained constant: our commitment to publishing the defining moments of cinema for a wider and wider audience. The foundation of the collection is the work of such masters of cinema as Renoir, Godard, Kurosawa, Cocteau, Fellini, Bergman, Tarkovsky, Hitchcock, Fuller, Lean, Kubrick, Lang, Sturges, Dreyer, Eisenstein, Ozu, Sirk, Buñuel, Powell and Pressburger. Each film is presented uncut, in its original aspect ratio, as its maker intended it to be seen. Every time we start work on a film, we track down the best available film elements in the world, use state-of-the-art telecine equipment and a select few colorists capable of meeting our rigorous standards, then take time during the film-to-video digital transfer to create the most pristine possible image and sound. Whenever possible, we work with directors and cinematographers to ensure that the look of our releases does justice to their intentions. Our supplements enable viewers to appreciate Criterion films in context, through audio commentaries by filmmakers and scholars, restored director’s cuts, deleted scenes, documentaries, shooting scripts, early shorts, and storyboards. To date, more than 150 filmmakers have made our library of Director Approved DVDs, Blu-ray discs, and laserdiscs the most significant archive of contemporary filmmaking available to the home viewer.

Releases for 2013

January
Image Image Image Image Image

February
Image Image Image Image Image

March
Image Image Image Image Image Image

Eclipse
Eclipse is a selection of lost, forgotten, or overshadowed classics in simple, affordable editions. Each series is a brief cinematheque retrospective for the adventurous home viewer.

Dig deeper into the Criterion Collection
Criterion's YouTube Page - Criterion posts tons of great videos, including their 3 Reasons for most of their titles.
Criterion Collection Facebook Page
Criterion Collection Twitter

CriterionCast - Possibly the best Criterion podcast on the internet.
Criterion Corner - David Ehrlich writes for Movies.com about Criterion films several times a month.
CriterionForum - The best Criterion-focused forum.
The Criterion Forums - A new alternative Criterion forum.
DVDBeaver - Blu-ray reviews, including comparison screenshots with older releases.
Criterion Collection on Hulu - Criterion signed an exclusive streaming deal with Hulu, with Hulu carrying most of their films for Hulu Plus users.
The Criterion Contraption - This man is on a mission to watch every single film Criterion has released.
omgkitty
Art Expert

Postby Darkknight37 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:37 pm

:clap:
Darkknight37
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:46 pm

Love me some Criterion :pint:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby finalfilppula on Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:48 pm

RottenAtom wrote:Love me some Criterion :pint:

I hope they keep adding some Kubrick films to the roster.
finalfilppula
Art Expert

Image Image

Postby seeker1115 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:50 pm

I hope that they eventually put out The Room.
seeker1115
Art Expert

Dear anybody, please do a badass print of Rian Johnson's Brick. If necessary, I'll buy them all.

Postby omgkitty on Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:52 pm

finalfilppula wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:Love me some Criterion :pint:

I hope they keep adding some Kubrick films to the roster.

Yeah we need a decent release of Spartacus on blu-ray unlike that trash that Universal released. I seriously doubt we will see any more releases though unfortunately. Kubrick sells enough that they probably don't feel the need to let Criterion have the licenses to his more well known films. Guess I'll just have to live with my Kubrick collection.
omgkitty
Art Expert

Postby fCon on Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:34 pm

Ha! The perfect thread to repost this. :mrgreen:

Just watched 12 Angry Men and Charade again. Marvelous.
fCon
Art Expert

Postby omgkitty on Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:35 pm

fCon wrote:Ha! The perfect thread to repost this. :mrgreen:

Just watched 12 Angry Men and Charade again. Marvelous.

What terrible, dirty things do I have to do to you for you to send me that copy of The Third Man?
omgkitty
Art Expert

Postby fCon on Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:43 pm

omgkitty wrote:What terrible, dirty things do I have to do to you for you to send me that copy of The Third Man?

fCon
Art Expert

Postby omgkitty on Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:50 pm

fCon wrote:
omgkitty wrote:What terrible, dirty things do I have to do to you for you to send me that copy of The Third Man?

You think I'm kidding but I'm not. That's one of my favorite films and it went OOP before I got into Criterion's and I refuse to pay $150 for a copy.
omgkitty
Art Expert

Postby omgkitty on Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:55 pm

Everyone should post pictures of their collection. I'd like to see what everyone has. I can post mine tonight when I get home.
omgkitty
Art Expert

Postby fCon on Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:57 pm

omgkitty wrote:
fCon wrote:

You think I'm kidding but I'm not. That's one of my favorite films and it went OOP before I got into Criterion's and I refuse to pay $150 for a copy.

It really is a pity that film enthusiasts are denied such great Criterion releases just because they no longer hold the rights (The Third Man is not the only title). And gems like Transformers 2 will probably be reprinted until all eternity... :?

omgkitty wrote:Everyone should post pictures of their collection. I'd like to see what everyone has. I can post mine tonight when I get home.

Sure, why not. Here are my old Criterion DVDs. I'll spare you the rest. My complete collection is in my sig if anyone cares.

Damn Blu-ray double-dipping!
fCon
Art Expert

Postby omgkitty on Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:02 pm

Well I do own the Studio Canal release of The Third Man on blu-ray, but as you will see later tonight, I have a problem. :? Also, you're in Germany! You don't need a Region 1 copy of that film!
omgkitty
Art Expert

Postby cutterbutter on Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:11 pm

Here are my blu-rays. Some new pickups that have yet to be unwrapped. All the dvds are down south at school.
cutterbutter
Art Expert

ImageImage

Postby fCon on Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:40 pm

omgkitty wrote:Well I do own the Studio Canal release of The Third Man on blu-ray, but as you will see later tonight, I have a problem. :?

I have not seen the Studio Canal BD, but it did not get the best reviews. And the problems begin with the cover art.

omgkitty wrote:Also, you're in Germany! You don't need a Region 1 copy of that film!

True, that's why I own a Region A copy ;).

cutterbutter wrote:Here are my blu-rays. Some new pickups that have yet to be unwrapped. All the dvds are down south at school.

Nice collection, cutterbutter. Can you recommend Blow Out? I must admit I have never seen it and have been on the fence with the Criterion BD. Enough rewatch value?
fCon
Art Expert

Next

Return to Cinema/TV