The Criterion Collection

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby Irishman12 on Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:49 am

Does anyone know when Criterion will have their next 50% off sale? I would imagine not before Black Friday? Also, for those who participated in the last sale, does anyone know/remember if Zatoichi The Blind Swordsman was part of the sale? I'm thinking about getting the set but it usually runs over $150 and if I can get that for half off, I'll wait until the next sale. Thanks!
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby omgkitty on Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:42 pm

Irishman12 wrote:Does anyone know when Criterion will have their next 50% off sale? I would imagine not before Black Friday? Also, for those who participated in the last sale, does anyone know/remember if Zatoichi The Blind Swordsman was part of the sale? I'm thinking about getting the set but it usually runs over $150 and if I can get that for half off, I'll wait until the next sale. Thanks!

Criterion sales happen twice a year through Criterion's site and are 24 hours only and are 50% off. They happen late February / early March and late September / early October on a Tuesday. These are flash sales, and Criterion sends an email out about them when they start. Barnes and Noble does half off sales twice a year as well and last a month. Those are in July and November. All titles are half off in both of these sales, so Zatoichi sells for $100 during those times.
omgkitty
Art Expert

Postby Irishman12 on Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:48 pm

omgkitty wrote:
Irishman12 wrote:Does anyone know when Criterion will have their next 50% off sale? I would imagine not before Black Friday? Also, for those who participated in the last sale, does anyone know/remember if Zatoichi The Blind Swordsman was part of the sale? I'm thinking about getting the set but it usually runs over $150 and if I can get that for half off, I'll wait until the next sale. Thanks!

Criterion sales happen twice a year through Criterion's site and are 24 hours only and are 50% off. They happen late February / early March and late September / early October on a Tuesday. These are flash sales, and Criterion sends an email out about them when they start. Barnes and Noble does half off sales twice a year as well and last a month. Those are in July and November. All titles are half off in both of these sales, so Zatoichi sells for $100 during those times.

Awesome, great info. Thanks! I'll wait for the next Criterion sale then if that'll be the next one and scoop up a Zatoichi boxset then. Thanks again omgkitty! :pint:
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby mtarail on Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:09 pm

For anyone sitting on the fence on the Bergman collection, amazon just dropped the pre-order price to $195. After tax, mine came to $212. A bit cheaper than buying direct from Criterion.
mtarail
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:20 pm

omgkitty wrote:

Hey dude. Been awhile :pint:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby duckyhoward on Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:40 am

The Criterion Collection has announced that it will add four new titles to its Blu-ray catalog this December: Forty Guns (1957), A Dry White Season (1989), Panic (1946), and Sawdust and Tinsel (1953).
https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=23939
duckyhoward
Art Expert

"so this is what it's like to be an adult, if he only knew now what he knew then..."
T.K.C.

Postby FrankBooth on Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:33 am

I love that Panic cover.
FrankBooth
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImage Image

Postby mtarail on Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:55 pm

50% off flash sale today at Criterion.
mtarail
Art Expert

Postby Irishman12 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:33 pm

For some reason I'm unable to find the Filmstruck thread but the service is now being terminated on November 29. They're not taking new subscribers. This really sucks! As a member for the last 2 months this has easily become one of my favorite streaming services due to their rich library of offerings.

https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/filmstruck-shutdown-warnermedia-turner-1202998364/#article-comments
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby Irishman12 on Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:11 pm

Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby duckyhoward on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:20 pm

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=24224

The Criterion Collection has announced that it will add five new titles to its Blu-ray catalog in February:

Ingmar Bergman's Shame (1968),
Rainer Werner Fassbinder's Berlin Alexanderplatz (1980),
Luchino Visconti's Death in Venice (1971),
Henri-Georges Clouzot's La verite (1960), and
Charles Burnett's To Sleep with Anger (1990).
duckyhoward
Art Expert

"so this is what it's like to be an adult, if he only knew now what he knew then..."
T.K.C.

Postby Irishman12 on Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:37 pm

FilmStruck may not be dead yet! After an outpouring of support from Hollywood's elite (including Martin Scorsese and Steven Spielberg) begging for the streaming service not to be turned off, WarnerMedia CEO John Stankey may be coming up with a compromise. A new iteration is in the cards for FilmStruck, though it might not be called that. The not good news is that it will be part of a package of streaming services from WarnerMedia that at present is scheduled to be launched in the fourth quarter of 2019.

https://deadline.com/2018/11/filmstruck-future-warnermedia-criterion-collection-1202502833/
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby jlabbate on Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:11 pm

Irishman12 wrote:FilmStruck may not be dead yet! After an outpouring of support from Hollywood's elite (including Martin Scorsese and Steven Spielberg) begging for the streaming service not to be turned off, WarnerMedia CEO John Stankey may be coming up with a compromise. A new iteration is in the cards for FilmStruck, though it might not be called that. The not good news is that it will be part of a package of streaming services from WarnerMedia that at present is scheduled to be launched in the fourth quarter of 2019.

https://deadline.com/2018/11/filmstruck-future-warnermedia-criterion-collection-1202502833/

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/6044-new-independent-criterion-channel-to-launch-spring-2019
jlabbate
Art Freak

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Postby Irishman12 on Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:30 pm

jlabbate wrote:
Irishman12 wrote:FilmStruck may not be dead yet! After an outpouring of support from Hollywood's elite (including Martin Scorsese and Steven Spielberg) begging for the streaming service not to be turned off, WarnerMedia CEO John Stankey may be coming up with a compromise. A new iteration is in the cards for FilmStruck, though it might not be called that. The not good news is that it will be part of a package of streaming services from WarnerMedia that at present is scheduled to be launched in the fourth quarter of 2019.

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/6044-new-independent-criterion-channel-to-launch-spring-2019

Thanks. I just got the e-mail and signed up. At least this is coming sooner rather than later so there's still hope!
Irishman12
Art Expert

Previous

Return to Cinema/TV