The Criterion Collection

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby throckmore on Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:11 am

deancc wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:I'd be interested in checking out you guys' Top Ten Criterion lists if you feel like putting them together. I'm gonna try to narrow it down to my ten faves.

Brazil
The Third Man
Green For Danger
Rosemary's Baby
Thief
Manhunter
Silence of the Lambs
Election
Videodrome
My Own Private Idaho

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
throckmore
New User

Postby duckyhoward on Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:39 am

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=23637
The Criterion Collection has announced that it will add five new titles to its Blu-ray catalog in October:
Hal Ashby's Shampoo (1975),
Cornel Wilde's The Naked Prey (1965),
Rainer Werner Fassbinder's Eight Hours Don't Make a Day (1972),
Brian De Palma's Sisters (1973), and
Rob Reiner's The Princess Bride (1987).
duckyhoward
Art Expert

"so this is what it's like to be an adult, if he only knew now what he knew then..."
T.K.C.

Postby Irishman12 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:39 pm

Irishman12 wrote:https://www.filmstruck.com/us/

Does anyone use this? I was thinking of signing up. It's a streaming service created by Turner Classic Movies in cooperation with The Criterion Collection. They have 3 options for membership: just the Filmstruck channel which is $6.99/month, Filmstruck + The Criterion Channel which is $10.99 per month, or Filmstruck + The Criterion Channel annual membership which is $99. I was thinking of doing the annual membership but before I did I wanted to get some feedback with anyone who may be currently using this service. Thanks!

Just signed up for this today and their library so far is great. Got a lot of movies added to my watchlist. I signed up for the $10.99 per month which gives me access to Filmstruck + The Criterion Channel. If you're looking for classics or hard to find movies, this is the place to find them.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:48 am

^
Great call. Filmstruck is the fudge. One of the best things a cinephile can do is drop Netflix and pick up Filmstruck (or just pick up Filmstruck). I find myself watching so much less junk...

Filmstruck is great about keeping fresh content readily available with 'Director of the Week', 'Friday Night Double Feature' (They just did The Seventh Seal and Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey) and a steady influx of TCM and Criterion titles. I love it so much.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby Irishman12 on Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:22 pm

RottenAtom wrote:^
Great call. Filmstruck is the fudge. One of the best things a cinephile can do is drop Netflix and pick up Filmstruck (or just pick up Filmstruck). I find myself watching so much less junk...

Filmstruck is great about keeping fresh content readily available with 'Director of the Week', 'Friday Night Double Feature' (They just did The Seventh Seal and Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey) and a steady influx of TCM and Criterion titles. I love it so much.

I also like the collections they offer. And yes, I saw some of the upcoming double features. Look good. I thought I saw when signing up some Criterion special features are available. Do you know where they are?
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:34 pm

Irishman12 wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:^

I also like the collections they offer. And yes, I saw some of the upcoming double features. Look good. I thought I saw when signing up some Criterion special features are available. Do you know where they are?

Special features are generally below the movie if they have them. Go to the page where you would watch the movie and try scrolling down. The intros, audio commentaries and featurettes will be listed there or in that vicinity.

I recently watched a Michael Curtiz film called The Breaking Point based on the same Hemingway story that To Have and Have Not (Hawks, Bogie & Bacall) is based on. There's a cool feature on director Michael Curtiz's (Casablanca) fluid directorial style attached.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby Irishman12 on Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:43 pm

Awesome. Thanks RA :pint:
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:10 pm

Right on Dude. Have fun :pint:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby Darkknight37 on Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:26 pm

I had Filmstruck for a bit, it was rad af. Definitely need to subscribe again at some point.
Darkknight37
Art Expert

Postby FrankBooth on Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:07 pm

November 2018 New Releases

FrankBooth
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImage Image

Postby mliddell on Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:19 am

Nice month as usual. In for most. Already picked up that Bergman set. Make a great Xmas gift for some cinephile.
mliddell
Art Expert

Postby mtarail on Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:21 am

That Bergman set is calling. I haven't pre-ordered yet, but I don't know if I can hold out much longer.
mtarail
Art Expert

Postby Irishman12 on Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:08 pm

Does anyone know if THE SEVENTH SEAL is getting a second release on Blu-Ray? I know in the new box set it has a new 4K transfer but I was wondering if it'll be available separately? If not, I'll just buy the 2009 version. Recently watched both THE SEVENTH SEAL and THE VIRGIN SPRING. This is my first introduction to Bergman and both of these films are absolutely fantastic! I will be adding both to my collection. Does anyone have any other Bergman recommendations that are similar to either of these?
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby mliddell on Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:53 pm

Not sure on the Seventh Seal.

Autumn Sonata is a beautiful looking film to watch in the fall and summer with Monika is a good Summer one.

Cries and Whispers, Fanny and Alexander, Persona, Hour of the wolf. I've never seen anything by him that wasn't great and great to look at.
mliddell
Art Expert

Postby Irishman12 on Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:50 pm

mliddell wrote:Not sure on the Seventh Seal.

Autumn Sonata is a beautiful looking film to watch in the fall and summer with Monika is a good Summer one.

Cries and Whispers, Fanny and Alexander, Persona, Hour of the wolf. I've never seen anything by him that wasn't great and great to look at.

Thanks, I appreciate the recommendations! I saw HOUR OF THE WOLF last night and while visually entertaining, I wasn't as impressed with it as his other 2 films that I've seen recently.
Irishman12
Art Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV