True Detective

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby mfaith on Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:08 pm

Just finished this week's. Great episode! :clap:
After hearing that hotline tape from the girl again, it made me wonder if she meant someone else by the man "pretending to be her father". The cops all assumed it implicated her actual father. But I bet she mean one of those other cats in the press conferences... As in, the one who took her away
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

So it goes...

Postby ricv64 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:28 am

iambillyg wrote:
hunterjax wrote:Have they said how Hays' wife died? Is she dead?

No, and yes.

hunterjax wrote:Was the guy who berated at the book signing the same dead-eyed guy from when Hays and West went to question the dead-eyed guy a few episodes ago? Because they were different times, but they used different actors instead of aging makeup . . . weird to do that for only one character if it is the same character.

No. The man they approached in 1980 had a dead right eye. The man at the book signing had a dead left eye.

The woman who described him put her hand over her left eye implying that it was that eye but the detectives just didn't catch up on that probably thinking she's a senile old lady
ricv64
Art Expert

shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila

Postby iambillyg on Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:22 am

So.......

- Hoyt made an agreement with Lucy for Julie. In exchange, Hoyt paid off Lucy, for a bit of time.
- Julie was groomed and had seen, or been informed of, the "pink castle" prior to her being taken.
- During the time of her being taken, Will was unintentionally murdered. Clearly an accident, due to the way his body was left.
- This is why Lucy is so torn up. Not because her daughter was taken, but because it resulted in Will's death.
- Woodard and his shootout make him the perfect fall guy.
- Harris James, at the direction of Brett Cullen (district attorney at the time), plants evidence leading to this.

Case is closed.

- Amelia writes a book about the case. This causes tension in the already-rocky marriage.
- Her book has all of the evidence in it, but she doesn't make the connections necessary to prove what has truly occurred.
- Wayne, mad about the book entirely, refuses to read it. Again, this causes more tension and anger.
- Then it turns out that Julie is alive, Brett Cullen (now the Attorney General) begins to figure out a way to clean this up.
- Julie calls the hotline and implies that Tom is not her father. This could be due to the 10 years spent being brainwashed, or it's also possible that he really isn't her father and Lucy had been impregnated by Hoyt, which is why she was taken in the first place.
- Wayne realizes evidence was planted in 1980 and other evidence is now missing.
- He tracks down Harris James, due to him finding the original evidence, only to find that he is now chief of security for Hoyt Foods (a position he likely received due to handling the 1980 case well.)
- O'Brien, Lucy's cousin, has figured out what occurred due to Lucy being paid off.
- O'Brien realizes that Lucy's overdose was actually a murder when she, allegedly, decided to start asking for more money (changing her original agreement with Hoyt).
- Tom finds this out and confronts O'Brien. This leads to Tom breaking into the Hoyt estate and realizing that Julie was taken (he sees her school picture on the wall that was missing from their home back in 1980.)

- - -

I assume that Harris James confronts Tom and finds out that O'Brien gave him the Hoyt name. Harris then kills Tom and O'Brien. Wayne and Roland realize this and murder Harris, then cover it up.

Still not sure what is going on in 2015. Not sure why Wayne is being interviewed. Not sure what Wayne did that he needs to apologize to Roland for. When Wayne says that he would have sworn Roland was married, I think this is because Roland was married at some point in time. However, Wayne did something to ruin his life.

It's also very likely that Wayne and Roland have done what we're seeing multiple, multiple times. Dementia is horrible.

Anyway, we'll see.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Postby hunterjax on Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:27 am

mfaith wrote:Just finished this week's. Great episode! :clap:
After hearing that hotline tape from the girl again, it made me wonder if she meant someone else by the man "pretending to be her father". The cops all assumed it implicated her actual father. But I bet she mean one of those other cats in the press conferences... As in, the one who took her away

The AG maybe? After it all went down in 80, to protect the Hoyts he moves her out of state or away and "acts" as her father, providing for her, etc?
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby mfaith on Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:12 pm

hunterjax wrote:
mfaith wrote:Just finished this week's. Great episode! :clap:

The AG maybe? After it all went down in 80, to protect the Hoyts he moves her out of state or away and "acts" as her father, providing for her, etc?

I was thinking something along those lines. He certainly seems to be quick to move things in certain (mis)directions.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

So it goes...

Postby schmoff on Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:10 pm

yeah i think hoyt is the actual father
schmoff
Art Expert

Postby SPAC04 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:14 pm

Digging the new season despite some slow moving episodes. Well crafted. Finally seems to be getting to the point with these "pink rooms/ green castle", great cliff hanger, looking forward to next ep.
SPAC04
Art Expert

Postby jjbehren on Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:50 am

cotis wrote:I think Hays coming back from restroom asking Roland about the car was him playing with Roland... sure he has his moments and his mind isn't what it used to be. but usually that's around straining his mind thinking about the case and getting stressed - not from taking a leak.

I for sure got the vibe that Hays was faking his dementia after coming back from the bathroom and finding Roland flipping through his book.
jjbehren
Flipper

ImageImageImageImageImage

Postby ToolFanFromWayBack on Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:23 pm

Isn’t this following the script from the first season? I mean the 3 time frames, creepy talismans left after child abduction(s), menial worker riding around on non street legal vehicles and a likely a conspiracy of community leaders.

Don’t get me wrong, I am still enjoying this season, but it is giving me a Groundhog Day feel every once in a while.
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump

Postby iambillyg on Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:57 pm

2 timelines in season one (95 and 2012). Though they do get to 2002, where Rust and Marty have a falling out.

Ritualistic crime scene for the opening murder, not abduction, with “devil nets” having been left, sure.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Postby mfaith on Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:16 pm

Well I'll be damned. Michael Rooker. Another great episode. Not sure this will actually pan out or if the years/dates even line up correctly, but the last few episodes, I started to wonder if maybe the reporter lady is really Julie all grown up...
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

So it goes...

Postby jjbehren on Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:08 pm

mfaith wrote:Well I'll be damned. Michael Rooker. Another great episode. Not sure this will actually pan out or if the years/dates even line up correctly, but the last few episodes, I started to wonder if maybe the reporter lady is really Julie all grown up...

Damn, that would be crazy. That thought never crossed my mind. I don't think she's old enough, though. Hays didn't even have kids until, what? 1985ish, right? And Julie was already 10ish when she was kidnapped? So that would make her 15ish years older than the oldest Hays kid.
jjbehren
Flipper

ImageImageImageImageImage

Postby mfaith on Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:13 pm

jjbehren wrote:
mfaith wrote:Well I'll be damned. Michael Rooker. Another great episode. Not sure this will actually pan out or if the years/dates even line up correctly, but the last few episodes, I started to wonder if maybe the reporter lady is really Julie all grown up...

Damn, that would be crazy. That thought never crossed my mind. I don't think she's old enough, though. Hays didn't even have kids until, what? 1985ish, right? And Julie was already 10ish when she was kidnapped? So that would make her 15ish years older than the oldest Hays kid.

Yeah, that's true. I didn't really map out the timeline to validate. Just a thought that cropped up, since she seemed so well-informed.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

So it goes...

Postby mfaith on Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:18 am

Wait, is the finale really this Sunday?! :shock: I forgot how short this show's seasons are.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

So it goes...

Postby hunterjax on Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:24 pm

hell of an episode . . . the music from when they went after the security guard until they get him in the barn heightened the tension so much. And then the last few minutes again really upped the tension.

The tie-in to Season 1 was also pretty great - quells a lot of the "isn't this the same basic plot and story beats of S1?"

And finally, like that they threw in another time period (Hays dropping off his daughter as school) and previewed another time period with his wife for the finale; it's like you didn't get those view all season, but they are just more pieces of Hays' jumbled mind coming through as he works his mind hard to solve the crime . . . and that effort seems to simultaneously be deteriorating his mind more and more.

Really hope they can pull all the threads together next week. I mean the mystery of the kids seems pretty well established and solved at this point, it's the personal life of Hays and his wife that's left as a mystery.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV