Better Call Saul

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby mtarail on Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:03 pm

noeldaddy wrote:Gotta admit, I had tears when he gave that speech to the board. He totally fooled me too. I felt Kim's horror. I don't see Jimmy as a sociopath though. I see him as a guy who's been manipulated by his brother for decades. He's jaded. And he needs to move past the hold Chuck had over him. Kim might see him as cold and unfeeling, dare I say "insincere", but really it's not that hard to believe that he would turn out that way. His mistake was in not keeping the charade going to Kim. But he trusts her. Little does he know it'll come back to bite him later.
As Mike's arc goes, he's starting to see Gustavo as the real sociopath. There was no reason to kill Ziegler. But he did what he had to do. That was a powerful, powerful scene.

Fring isn't a sociopath. He's a businessman. Every decision he makes is rational and profit-based. (With the exception of how he's gone after Salamanca, but if you've watched Breaking Bad you know that he has as good of a reason as one could have to hate Salamanca). That German architect was complicit in his own murder. He got paid an exorbitant sum of money and was given simple instructions. He not only couldn't follow them, but he proved he couldn't keep a secret.

A sociopath wouldn't just have killed the architect, he would have killed the entire German crew. But since the architect was the only person that Fring knew he couldn't trust to keep a secret, he had to go.

Now Walter White, there was a sociopath. (Breaking Bad spoiler alert). He killed (failed to save) Jesse's girlfriend and poisoned/almost killed a little boy just to turn Jesse against Fring.
mtarail
Art Expert

Postby mfaith on Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:39 pm

I agree about Fring. That was calculated, and for him, necessary. The German had become a liability, and Fring can't afford liabilities. Especially when he's trying to establish his empire literally under the dark of night.
mfaith
EB Team

Image Image ImageImageImage

Postby noeldaddy on Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:58 pm

Why not keep him on, have him finish the job, and then kill him? It’s not like he killed him to prove a point to the other guys. They went home. It’s not like keeping him alive would’ve shown any weakness either. These guys were basically being held prisoner. I just don’t see the point of killing him other than out of spite/pride
noeldaddy
Art Expert

ImageImage

Postby iambillyg on Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:56 am

Clearly you’ve never run a criminal enterprise.
iambillyg
Art Freak

KingOfNothing wrote:It's not Mondo it's more like Mondone.

Previous

Return to Cinema/TV