The Official Horror Movie Thread

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:41 am

SPAC04 wrote:Anyone seen the film "Frontier(s)"? 2007, french film.

Yeah, I like it. I'm into just about any of the 'new french extremity' films. Might be outside of my top 5 in that 'category' but it's still definitely worth watching if you're into those types of movies.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby bryndavies on Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:55 pm

Not your standard horror fare, but “super dark times” was good.
bryndavies
Art Expert

ImageT.K.C.

Postby mliddell on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:04 am

Agree on Super Dark Times.
mliddell
Art Expert

Postby SPAC04 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:05 pm

Cinlabyrinth wrote:

Yeah, I like it. I'm into just about any of the 'new french extremity' films. Might be outside of my top 5 in that 'category' but it's still definitely worth watching if you're into those types of movies.

I watched it in like 2011 and forgot the title till the other day. ISO a physical copy for the shelf if its as good as I remember.
SPAC04
Art Expert

Postby RambosRemodeler on Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:02 pm

SPAC04 wrote:
Cinlabyrinth wrote:

I watched it in like 2011 and forgot the title till the other day. ISO a physical copy for the shelf if its as good as I remember.

For me, it is Inside and everything else falls in behind it. Frontiers is good, martyrs is a tad overrated but good, trouble every day and then high tension way way way way way back. I have never really understood the love for HT and if I was going to pick an aja flick to watch, I'd rather watch pirahna again.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.

Postby Boognish23 on Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:51 am

On the topic of French extreme horror, watched the movie 'Revenge' at the Monster Film Festival here in Melbourne last weekend, definitely worth checking out if you get the chance on the big screen, movie looks amazing with a killer soundtrack too :pint:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6738136/
Boognish23
Art Connoisseur

Postby dylanosaur on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:23 am

Boognish23 wrote:On the topic of French extreme horror, watched the movie 'Revenge' at the Monster Film Festival here in Melbourne last weekend, definitely worth checking out if you get the chance on the big screen, movie looks amazing with a killer soundtrack too :pint:

Where can I watch this? I'm intrigued.
dylanosaur
Art Expert

Postby jlabbate on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:33 am

RambosRemodeler wrote:
SPAC04 wrote:
Cinlabyrinth wrote:

For me, it is Inside and everything else falls in behind it. Frontiers is good, martyrs is a tad overrated but good, trouble every day and then high tension way way way way way back. I have never really understood the love for HT and if I was going to pick an aja flick to watch, I'd rather watch pirahna again.

yup..loved "Inside"..it might be the best horror film I've seen over the last 15 years (Frailty and I Saw The Devil rounding out the top 3)
jlabbate
Art Freak

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:33 pm

RambosRemodeler wrote:
SPAC04 wrote:
Cinlabyrinth wrote:

I'm right there with ya on HT. Never got into the hype for that one either.

Boognish23 wrote:On the topic of French extreme horror, watched the movie 'Revenge' at the Monster Film Festival here in Melbourne last weekend, definitely worth checking out if you get the chance on the big screen, movie looks amazing with a killer soundtrack too :pint:

Dude! Yes! I saw this in September with the perfect crowd, it was seriously amazing. I loved the experience. Ironically I was just looking up distribution for this movie, it's US rights are with Shudder, they say they plan a theatrical release (probably tiny) plus it will come out through their streaming service, they say earlyish 2018.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby bmerwinsuwc on Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:36 pm

With all the talk of New French Extremism, I can't help but recommend Alexandra West's book of the same name: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/films-of-the-new-french-extremity-alexandra-west/1123639677?e
Especially recommended if you enjoy academic takes on horror. She's also a host of the Faculty of Horror podcast.

Watched MFA last night and highly recommend it. Then again, I used to work with university Title IX compliance officers, so the film hits close to home.
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Postby whiskaz on Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:21 pm

RambosRemodeler wrote:For me, it is Inside and everything else falls in behind it. Frontiers is good, martyrs is a tad overrated but good, trouble every day and then high tension way way way way way back. I have never really understood the love for HT and if I was going to pick an aja flick to watch, I'd rather watch pirahna again.

Inside is definitely the best of the bunch. Bummed their efforts after Inside haven't been very good. Finally watched Among the Living this October and was not impressed at all. That said, I think High Tension's a solid flick for the first 70 minutes or whatever... everything before they tried to pretend they didn't steal the idea from Dean Koontz haha...
whiskaz
Art Expert

Postby SPAC04 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:24 pm

Finally watched "Get Out", what a masterpiece that was. BEHOLD THE COAGULA

EDIT:Not quite so much horror as equal measures horror/suspense/sci fiction/ mystery and HBO even classified it as a comedy. I consider it a horror film, and a brilliant one at that.

( i never really understood the HT hype myself)

also watched "Split" which I found to be pretty good on a technical level considering M.Night's previous films (James Mcavoy did a great job imo), also very dark flash back B story, "Gerald's Game" which was a pretty effed up concept and it had its moments, and "Within" which was alright for a "creepy guy in the background film" but all in all was pretty meh.
Last edited by SPAC04 on Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
SPAC04
Art Expert

Postby doctorcottard on Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:53 pm

whiskaz wrote:
RambosRemodeler wrote:For me, it is Inside and everything else falls in behind it. Frontiers is good, martyrs is a tad overrated but good, trouble every day and then high tension way way way way way back. I have never really understood the love for HT and if I was going to pick an aja flick to watch, I'd rather watch pirahna again.

Inside is definitely the best of the bunch. Bummed their efforts after Inside haven't been very good. Finally watched Among the Living this October and was not impressed at all. That said, I think High Tension's a solid flick for the first 70 minutes or whatever... everything before they tried to pretend they didn't steal the idea from Dean Koontz haha...

100% agree on HT... Inside is great as well but I'd put it just below Trouble Every Day and Martyrs, which I think was overhyped but that the backlash was a bit unfair. I also think Raw fits in so well with Trouble Every Day (and Ginger Snaps!); it's my favorite horror movie of 2017.
doctorcottard
Art Enthusiast

Postby mliddell on Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:13 am

Anyone watch any Christmas or cold weather horror this month?
mliddell
Art Expert

Postby bmerwinsuwc on Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:16 am

Anyone who recommends "Better Watch Out" either has terrible taste or hates you. I was excited by the trailer; sadly, that movie is not actually the film depicted in said trailer.
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Previous

Return to Cinema/TV