Jubilation 12 Mr. Brainwash Release Discussion 06/05/12

The place to discuss and anticipate new art releases.
casoriat
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:11 am

are these hand finished at all?
bkboy77
Art Expert

Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:20 am

slowt wrote:Not sure if he typically does it, but he threw in one of these posters..
He usually throws in a litho or two in the tube. Thanks for the pictures. I am expecting my print to arrive today. :)
fung430 wrote:Expressobeans knows everything.
s_k_y
Art Expert

Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:13 am

How very British.

Can't imagine what US buyers really see in this to be honest...plenty of "better" MBW images out there.
bkboy77
Art Expert

Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:39 pm

And I also honestly do not know the reason why I watch Top Gear and Dr. Who. Its too British, IMO.

I also question the colonists when they go through all that trouble importing a Land Rover Defender when they already have a Jeep Wrangler readily available.

In a more serious note, my wife and I despise the Monarchy. I find this image to be an extremely clever way to take a jab at the Queen on her 60th year of :twisted: . It also reminds me of Banksy's work. My 2cents.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:42 pm

P1140366.JPG
P1140367.JPG
P1140369.JPG
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
bkboy77
Art Expert

Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:02 pm

Thanks for the pics. They look great. Mine got re-scheduled for tomorrow.
Jon1701
Art Expert

Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:11 pm

anyone know the phone number for them? This one ((323) 931-9542) is disconnected. Mine has done some weird shipping stuff and hasn't reached UPS apparently so wanna figure out wtf is up.
“Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. Boom, a sad desk. Boom, sad wall. It’s art. Anything is anything.”
NoseSpray
Art Expert

Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:51 pm

Jon1701 wrote:anyone know the phone number for them? This one ((323) 931-9542) is disconnected. Mine has done some weird shipping stuff and hasn't reached UPS apparently so wanna figure out wtf is up.
Mine was like that until 10 minutes ago and now shows delivered at 1:10pm. It wasn't updated the entire week I had the shipping info.

Edit: Mine's here. I really like this for some reason. While the "meaning" behind it doesn't quite pop at me, I really like the technique and screen print itself here. There is a lot of depth for such a print. Versus Love is the Answer--the only other print of substantial screens I've seen from MBW--seemed very flat. This one has a lot of great shadowing, etc. Anyone else agree?

Edit to add 2: Anyone else notice how the guard used the roller to paint a red carpet for her, yet it seems as though the roller has only been dipped and not actually rolled? In other words, the underside of it appears to be clean as a whistle whereas the top side is dripping with paint...just an interesting observation. I suppose on a screen print, though, it may be hard to convey that it's dripping with paint if the entire thing were just red.
Jon1701
Art Expert

Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:23 am

NoseSpray wrote:
Jon1701 wrote:anyone know the phone number for them? This one ((323) 931-9542) is disconnected. Mine has done some weird shipping stuff and hasn't reached UPS apparently so wanna figure out wtf is up.
Mine was like that until 10 minutes ago and now shows delivered at 1:10pm. It wasn't updated the entire week I had the shipping info.

Edit: Mine's here. I really like this for some reason. While the "meaning" behind it doesn't quite pop at me, I really like the technique and screen print itself here. There is a lot of depth for such a print. Versus Love is the Answer--the only other print of substantial screens I've seen from MBW--seemed very flat. This one has a lot of great shadowing, etc. Anyone else agree?

Edit to add 2: Anyone else notice how the guard used the roller to paint a red carpet for her, yet it seems as though the roller has only been dipped and not actually rolled? In other words, the underside of it appears to be clean as a whistle whereas the top side is dripping with paint...just an interesting observation. I suppose on a screen print, though, it may be hard to convey that it's dripping with paint if the entire thing were just red.
Still waiting here. Ups says they never picked up. BW say they shipped so theyre chasing it up and gonna get back to be. Looking forward to seeing it!
“Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. Boom, a sad desk. Boom, sad wall. It’s art. Anything is anything.”
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:51 am

bkboy77 wrote:And I also honestly do not know the reason why I watch Top Gear and Dr. Who. Its too British, IMO.

I also question the colonists when they go through all that trouble importing a Land Rover Defender when they already have a Jeep Wrangler readily available.

In a more serious note, my wife and I despise the Monarchy. I find this image to be an extremely clever way to take a jab at the Queen on her 60th year of :twisted: . It also reminds me of Banksy's work. My 2cents.
If this honestly reminds you of Banksy's work, then you need to take another look at Banksy. Seriously, c'mon :lol:
Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!
> THC X 9 <
bkboy77
Art Expert

Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:31 am

Just wanted to continue the conspiracy thread here. :wink:
gorkie
Art Freak

Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:56 pm

Just eyeballed mine. Beautiful. Love it.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram
bkboy77
Art Expert

Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:12 pm

Feel the same way. My wife after watching Exit Through the Gift Shop can not believe that Thierry made this print. Too much details for a madman to come up with.
manonegro
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:17 am

Mine arrived on Friday. Flattening it now. I'm kind of surprised that this print isn't getting more love.

It's my first MBW, so I don't really have anything to physically compare it to, but quality of the print is definitely one of the nicest that I've purchased. The print is quite large at 30"x22". The paper is pretty heavy with a very "high-end" feel to it. The deckled edges are a great touch. The inks are heavy / thick (the red and blue really pop off of the grays), and overall it looks to be a quality printing job (no gaps, smudges, registration errors).

As far as imagery goes, I know some people have said it's boring, and the images are cliché. I think if it were only viewed as a "celebration of the queen on her Jubilee" I can understand where those points of view are coming from. I think art is all about context though, and personal interpretation can really change the way two different people look at the same piece.

I may be over-analyzing here, but I feel like the theme is pretty dark and satirical. The world is currently in the midst of a financial meltdown with no end in sight. The Queen (flanked by her royal guard) is a representation of the elite that rule over the masses and are able to say with a big smile on their face that "Life Is Beautiful" while a lot of people are struggling to keep a roof over their head and food on the table. Like I said, I may be over-analyzing, but that's the thing I love about art, it's open to interpretation.

So for me, quality paper / ink / printing + darkly satirical imagery = a great print!
Image Image
bkboy77
Art Expert

Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:53 am

That is actually how I interpreted this print. Very dark message. Queen, IMO is the ultimate representative of the 1%. They are the people who can smile in this day and age and declare to the entire world that life is beautiful... at our expense.

BTW, that is just no ordinary grenadier guard, that's Prince Philip. Hence, I was surprised with the amount of thought given to this work.