Black Keys Broomfield 12 Whalen Release Discussion 04/30/12

The place to discuss and anticipate new art releases.
phubar2
Art Expert

Tue May 01, 2012 11:06 pm

FroDawg wrote:
Poeschel55 wrote:where will these go on sale at?
If you mean at the show tonight, this was in the Black Keys Art Discussion thread from xangelx, who is their merch manager for this tour:

"But FYI they will be limited to 1 per person, will only be available at the main merch stand by section 118 to attempt to enforce that as much as possible and it will cost $50. Also IMO it's an awesome poster."

My son was in the door at 6:30 last night, immediately to the merch stand and got shut out at just after 7pm (angel said it took 45 mins but I'd assume a half hour) so if you're going I suggest that you find the entrance closest to 118 and be standing there at 6pm or earlier. There are ONLY 150 available tonight.

if you mean when will Whalen put it up, I haven't seen any announcement of that. Maybe before the Yellow Submarine sets at the EO May.

No offense to your son....but he clearly had no idea what he was doing apparently. I got in the doors and to the merch booth at exactly 6:50 and within a couple of minutes, got one. I preceded to stand their and watch the stack dwindle while I waited for my brother to get in hoping he'd make it in time. They didn't sellout until 7:23. I know this based on the timestamps of the texts that I sent my brother.
DeltaSigChi4
Flipper

Tue May 01, 2012 11:26 pm

Did your brother get one? That venue is really a fudge place for a concert, honestly. Why do these shows not happen at Red Rocks; do you know?

E
phubar2
Art Expert

Tue May 01, 2012 11:30 pm

Naw he didn't. Hence the text at 7:23 informing him they had sold out.

Personally I like that place for concerts, seen about a dozen there now. It's super convenient in my opinion.
phubar2
Art Expert

Tue May 01, 2012 11:34 pm

Oh and Red Rocks season doesn't start til Memorial Day Weekend typically.
DeltaSigChi4
Flipper

Tue May 01, 2012 11:41 pm

Were you at the Arcade Fire show there a couple of years back? They had no opener, or at least I do not recall them having an opener, and it was the first show of their leg. Only show I have seen there. No free parking anywhere because of the super masterplanned nature of the fudge around it, and the staff seemed to be extra stupid. Only experience there though, so what do I know.

E
phubar2
Art Expert

Tue May 01, 2012 11:43 pm

I wasn't. Payed parking's not too bad, but us locals know where to park for free. :P
sidewaysscott
Art God

Tue May 01, 2012 11:45 pm

the first bank center used to be under different management. The prior mgmt company was just a local company that thought they knew how to run an arena. Truth is, they didn't know, and were terrible at it. After several years, and a terrible final year, they sold both minor league teams and asked the city out of their operation contract. Anyways, AEG picked up the venue and has done a complete 180 degree with the place.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
DeltaSigChi4
Flipper

Wed May 02, 2012 1:36 am

Well, all of these things have been released, so I do not feel that bad about off-topic-ing this thread so far into venue discussion. Broomfield is in the title anyway, so I do not know anything else remotely having to do with Broomfield besides that arena, along with some really horrid drymounting driving ...

Anyway, I know where to park for free as well (across the highway/interstate/whateverthefuckthatis) accessible by the pedestrian bridge to the arena. I do not know how it was before 2011 or whenever it was that I went, but I cannot imagine it is as significantly worse than it was when I went and still having paying customers. The thing is, we were discussing what shows Salt Lake City gets, at Coachella, and someone said that Radiohead probably won't ever play the state of Utah again besides Thom has said that he will not play at fudge venues with fudge sound. Interestingly enough they played Broomfield during this last leg, so he must have a very liberal view on what is a good venue with good sound. Or maybe since it was the very first show of the AF leg, the engineers just did not have the mix correct yet. Who knows? Congrats to all that got the poster the hard/real way: attending the drymounting show. Hopefully you liked them (personally, I am sick of them; but I go to a lot of music festivals).

E
phubar2
Art Expert

Wed May 02, 2012 1:40 am

Yup, that's the place to park for free.

I was at that Radiohead show and it kicked drymounting ass!
DeltaSigChi4
Flipper

Wed May 02, 2012 2:02 am

What did you think of the opener? I was going to tail that tour for the opener, but don't let that influence your opinion of their set. Do you remember, or did you arrive late? They -- Broomfield arena monkeys -- do not know how to run a drymounting queue and actually drymounted it up after it was fairly organised and civil all on its own organically and fudge. Dumb assholes started making a shitton of lines and it turned into a goddamn free-for-all to get in. The anti-thesis of MSG; reminded me of that shitty basketball arena in Seattle.

E
phubar2
Art Expert

Wed May 02, 2012 2:20 am

DeltaSigChi4 wrote:What did you think of the opener? I was going to tail that tour for the opener, but don't let that influence your opinion of their set. Do you remember, or did you arrive late? They -- Broomfield arena monkeys -- do not know how to run a drymounting queue and actually drymounted it up after it was fairly organised and civil all on its own organically and fudge. Dumb assholes started making a shitton of lines and it turned into a goddamn free-for-all to get in. The anti-thesis of MSG; reminded me of that shitty basketball arena in Seattle.

E

Are you talking about the band that opened for Radiohead?
phubar2
Art Expert

Wed May 02, 2012 2:32 am

We didn't get there in time. I can't even remember who it was now that I think about it.
jjbehren
Flipper

Wed May 02, 2012 8:13 am

I got the email notification at my hotmail address at 4:18 a.m. this morning.

Email releases suck.
Hornet
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 02, 2012 9:10 am

Agree Red Rocks is the place but can't have all shows there.

Show was great, we had a great time!

Kyle, u have a PM.

Great print, btw.