Jurassic Park 11 Richard Release Discussion 10/27/11

The place to discuss and anticipate new art releases.
ironjaiden
Art Expert

Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:35 am

machination wrote:
ironjaiden wrote:I really like this poster but as an artist the repeating images drive me nuts. The identical star patterns at the top and the identical trees at the bottom stick out like sore thumbs to me. I really wish JC had taken another couple hours and fixed those bits.
Either way great concept for sure. Good luck all you dino-heads :)
Weird...they're really not that noticeable to me. And I'm betting most people won't focus on that. But obviously if those things bother you, that's not going to change automagically and you'll notice it every time you look at the poster. My condolences...
Exactly. Having spent as much time in Photoshop as I have little things like that stand out pretty blatantly. Don't think I'll lose much sleep over it.
I've got a friend who's a film editor and he spots like every continuity error in a movie the first time he sees it in the theater. After a movie he always says something like, "god that was an awesome movie. I really wish they would've left his shirt the same color during that chase scene though." :)
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:46 am

ironjaiden wrote:
machination wrote:
ironjaiden wrote:I really like this poster but as an artist the repeating images drive me nuts. The identical star patterns at the top and the identical trees at the bottom stick out like sore thumbs to me. I really wish JC had taken another couple hours and fixed those bits.
Weird...they're really not that noticeable to me. And I'm betting most people won't focus on that. But obviously if those things bother you, that's not going to change automagically and you'll notice it every time you look at the poster. My condolences...
Exactly. Having spent as much time in Photoshop as I have little things like that stand out pretty blatantly. Don't think I'll lose much sleep over it.
I've got a friend who's a film editor and he spots like every continuity error in a movie the first time he sees it in the theater. After a movie he always says something like, "god that was an awesome movie. I really wish they would've left his shirt the same color during that chase scene though." :)
I work with Photoshop and the like all the time. Just not with large posters and images all the time, which is probably what makes the difference.
IggyD
Art Expert

Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:51 pm

I don't see that... what I see is it looks like the layers are wrong as the stars are on top of the trees
Also, what the heck is that behind/below the JP text?
JURASSIC-PARK-JC-Richard.jpg
Could this be a jpg of early stages of work?
veltri
Art Expert

Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:52 pm

IggyD wrote:
I don't see that... what I see is it looks like the layers are wrong as the stars are on top of the trees
The entrance
strongstuff wrote: i want to watch those fools squirm.
IggyD
Art Expert

Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:54 pm

veltri wrote:
IggyD wrote:
The entrance
Funny kind of entrance without a road at ground level.. just trees and brush
chisoxfan2424
Art Expert

Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:54 pm

It looks like the big doors going into the park "Welcome to Jurassic Park"
rmoore wrote:Can't trust someone that doesn't like Jurassic Park...
IggyD
Art Expert

Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:02 pm

chisoxfan2424 wrote:It looks like the big doors going into the park "Welcome to Jurassic Park"
I could buy that if it were JP2.. just too much brush growth and something looking tan/fall colors back there behind the smaller text
chisoxfan2424
Art Expert

Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:13 pm

I dont think that it is suppose to be a scene from a movie, just a bunch of little parts from the movie mixed it. The big door, the jeep, the raptor, the TRex. Just my 2 cents.
ironjaiden
Art Expert

Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:28 pm

IggyD wrote:
The stars are indeed in front of the trees but the star field layer was duplicated and shifted about 20 pixels is what I noticed first.
And yeah at the bottom there it looks like the big entrance but it ends somewhere in the billing block for some reason and never touches the ground?

I honestly really like the look of the poster but details like that drive me nuts. I remember when Slater put out his Rushmore poster (the one with Herman carrying the bike) I just couldn't get over the fact that the fork and the frame of the bike were one fused piece with no way for the bike to turn. Love the poster but couldn't stop staring at that part of it. I chalk it up to my own compulsive goofiness and not a lack of skill on the artist's part :)
ironjaiden
Art Expert

Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:35 pm

and for those who don't like the billing block it coulda been a whole lot bigger

:)
microcosmicmedia
Art Connoisseur

Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:52 pm

ironjaiden wrote:
IggyD wrote:
The stars are indeed in front of the trees but the star field layer was duplicated and shifted about 20 pixels is what I noticed first.
And yeah at the bottom there it looks like the big entrance but it ends somewhere in the billing block for some reason and never touches the ground?

I honestly really like the look of the poster but details like that drive me nuts. I remember when Slater put out his Rushmore poster (the one with Herman carrying the bike) I just couldn't get over the fact that the fork and the frame of the bike were one fused piece with no way for the bike to turn. Love the poster but couldn't stop staring at that part of it. I chalk it up to my own compulsive goofiness and not a lack of skill on the artist's part :)
Star patterns and trees are not duplicated in the final image- the compression seemed to make certain patterns appear similar, but I assure you on the final print it doesn't appear that way-- I do repeat shapes to mimic reality as
patterns repeat in nature but with random variations

The stars on top of the trees are actually highlites btw, as said before the compression appears to have muddied them up a bit
Last edited by microcosmicmedia on Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chisoxfan2424
Art Expert

Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:55 pm

Great Print ^^^^ :clap: :clap: :clap:

Are there more small hidden details we are have not seen yet?
piomba
Art Expert

Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:03 pm

Congrats on the print JC!
microcosmicmedia
Art Connoisseur

Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:05 pm

chisoxfan2424 wrote:Great Print ^^^^ :clap: :clap: :clap:

Are there more small hidden details we are have not seen yet?
I'm sure in the image there's a few things that folks with darker monitors won't notice right away, but it'll be nice when people can see the full size print and not a little jpg
ceevee
Art Expert

Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:08 pm

ironjaiden wrote: I remember when Slater put out his Rushmore poster (the one with Herman carrying the bike) I just couldn't get over the fact that the fork and the frame of the bike were one fused piece with no way for the bike to turn.
This would drive me crazy.
For some reason though, my eyes don't notice the star duplication on this one.

edit: For some reason I didn't see the microcosmic post prior to writing this. Oops.
Last edited by ceevee on Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.