They Sang At Night 11 Ryan Release Discussion 10/04/11

The place to discuss and anticipate new art releases.
ceevee
Art Expert

Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:26 pm

It wasn't intentionally "hijacked." The print's page was up briefly without a cart button. Some (probably more than one person) clicked on it and refreshed that page instead of the store page, which makes sense. When Jay cut off sales and released through the main page, it was again up for awhile before going to "email for availability" and then out of stock. There was certainly no intentional subterfuge.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:32 pm

ceevee wrote:It wasn't intentionally "hijacked." The print's page was up briefly without a cart button. Some (probably more than one person) clicked on it and refreshed that page instead of the store page, which makes sense. When Jay cut off sales and released through the main page, it was again up for awhile before going to "email for availability" and then out of stock. There was certainly no intentional subterfuge.
yeah, thanks ceevee. I was watching Jays site and it came up. I took note of the link and refreshed it so I could buy the print. We all have done it. I then simply posted it here for my fellow eb'ers to get. I only got one and whatever. I quickly PM'ed Jay, and he said no worries. It would have sold out reasonably quick regardless. Sorry thriftypix, but I was only trying to help. If I was to hijack it, i certainly wouldn't have posted the link, and certainly wouldn't have only purchased one print. But you can make me the scapegoat if you'd like. :pint:
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:33 pm

To be fair, the print was available in TBM Store for close to 30 minutes AFTER the whole pre-sale fiasco, right there on the home page, before it sold out :pint: I'm getting to be more and more of a fan of Jay's work, especially in light of his relationship with Horkey, so I'm really looking forward to this landing in the OC and geekin' out for a bit...

:pint:
Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!
> THC X 9 <
maden
Art Expert

Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:24 pm

thriftypix wrote:OK, I'll say it. I think it's BS that the sale of this print was hijacked.
I tried to stop him but he had a box cutter.
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around

phubar2
Art Expert

Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:02 pm

thriftypix wrote:OK, I'll say it. I think it's BS that the sale of this print was hijacked. And frankly I don't think that an "apology" from the offending party is enough to make up for the fact that because the link was distributed early, people like me (and many others) missed out on an amazing print. When this kind of crap happens, you gotta wonder where people's priorities reside. How about from now on: get a life and leave the sales to the artists.

::facepalm::

Nobody hacked or hijacked or fanaggled anything. Chill brah.
RadicalRich1138
Art Expert

Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:43 pm

The print was up for about 30 minutes man, and the time it was up early was like 2 min, so you pretty much had a way better shot in the half hour.
BigmanJames wrote: i am he who does drugs for my inlaws
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:46 pm

RadicalRich1138 wrote:The print was up for about 30 minutes man, and the time it was up early was like 2 min, so you pretty much had a way better shot in the half hour.
To be fair to Scott, Jay said the link was 'hot' on the home page for something like 4 seconds. Yes, Scott is that good :lol:
Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!
> THC X 9 <
fnord
Art Expert

Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 am

comountaingolf wrote:
RadicalRich1138 wrote:The print was up for about 30 minutes man, and the time it was up early was like 2 min, so you pretty much had a way better shot in the half hour.
To be fair to Scott, Jay said the link was 'hot' on the home page for something like 4 seconds. Yes, Scott is that good :lol:
I had no dog in this fight but started following the thread with Jays post asking where "the discussion was taking place".
Jay's system of making the item active made this type of issue possible, not saying he did anything wrong. Scott's C4C hit at the perfect time and he shared it, Nothing underhanded about that. Although maybe next time he'll keep it for PM's and not freak out the Jay :)
Then the print was actually live for 30min, which was more than enough time to grab it.
DeltaSigChi4 wrote:Don't let these nerds hold you down, playa.

E
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:12 am

It's gotta baffle the artists sometimes, no doubt. Jay mentioned that his new site/store won't allow for the lag, so it shouldn't be an issue in the future. Still, EB'ers are the definition of some next level fudge when it comes to being on top of a drop if the link is 'up' for all of 4 seconds and the next thing you know the artist is trying to find the release discussion to figure out what happened :lol:
> THC X 9 <
thriftypix
Art Connoisseur

Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:12 am

OK, I'll say it. I overreacted. Must have been all the Meth I've been doing. But seriously though, I flew through the thread and reached conclusions prematurely. I'm sorry about that. I do wish that before the link had been distributed, Jay had been contacted directly. Clearly the typical release email had not yet gone out and Jay's drops don't usually occupy frantic F5 territory. By the time I got that email from TBM, the print was gone. Crazy.

Anyway, nothing personal Signor Scott, but apologies just the same. I now understand that your intentions were good.

ISO.
haven
Art Expert

Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:27 am

thrifty, in the future, you shouldn't rely on the email as to when something is for sale, it didn't show up in my inbox til 8:30 last night, keep an eye on tbm's facebook page, Jay generally announces on there when a print is going to drop.
thriftypix
Art Connoisseur

Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:47 am

Got mine at 4:10 ET (3:10 Jay Time). But agreed. I'll hit Facebook from now on. Fact is, I took the drop for granted, figured I'd have no problem. I will say that in the past - with perhaps one exception - I've never had trouble with Jay's drops when relying on the release email. Oh well. If Jay had had any idea how popular this print would be, he might have limited it to 1 per household.
jayryan
Art Connoisseur

Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:02 pm

thanks, all. i believe scott had nothing but good intentions. i realize i need to have my site loaded before i say anything at all to you lovely drymounting nerds. i had never even heard of c4c before this thread. still don't know what it is, but i assume it's some sort of innernet time machine archive tube. anyway, my awesome web dude fixed one small issue on the backend which should make it easier to avoid this problem in the future. thanks again for your interest.
dylansdad
Art Expert

Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:44 pm

Missed this one. Dropped while I was out to lunch.
Libertine
Art Connoisseur

Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:08 am

jayryan wrote:to you lovely drymounting nerds
thanks for the compliment 8)
Imageth Circle * Image