Sowers 10 Keyes Release Discussion 11/05/10

The place to discuss and anticipate new art releases.
HappaHaoli
Art Expert

Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:41 am

Cost aside, would the sheer weight of museum glass at these dimensions rule it out?

Is anyone intending to go UV plexi instead of glass once they get it?
Image x6 ImageImage x2
"I had this dream where I relished the fray, and the screaming filled my head all day."
tranito
Art Expert

Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:53 am

Indeed, framers recommend plexi for the very big stuff. I've heard it quite a few times by different people around here..
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
SteveKai
Art Expert

Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:42 pm

tranito wrote:Indeed, framers recommend plexi for the very big stuff. I've heard it quite a few times by different people around here..
really? I didn't know that. Has DBS gallery given any indicators as to a release date?
Tadrules
Art Expert

Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:03 pm

Kdh12 wrote:
Tadrules wrote:
Kdh12 wrote: He is doing what all fine art artist do

In the fine art world art is either sold through galleries (as a rep) or a dedicated art rep not associated with a gallery... either way there is a middle man between artist and collector

It would be like saying why don't athletes negotiate their own contracts, there is a system of representation
blobady blah blah blah.
Wow that is all you got to say.

I suppose it is hard for some to admit when they are wrong.

Feel free to continue with nonsense it is your life.
you just compared to an artist with a pro athelete. you obviously don't know anything about fine artists. name ten that use galleries, and i'll give you a list ten times longer that don't.

i could admit your right, but then we'ld both be wrong.
If you use ULINE tubes, please don't pm me about trades or sales.
fluffhead13
Art Expert

Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:06 pm

Mention wrote:
gonzo303 wrote:Again, how is the Last Kiss bigger than Sowers?
fluffhead just got the dimensions confused (OG vs. print) I'm sure.

Framing will be a bitch on this one, isn't 48" considered oversized?

This is exactly what I did wrong. My mistake. This whole time I thought Last Kiss was 30x40, and even passed on the day of sale thinking that and regretting it. No regrets now that I know it is/was 18x24. I really like his larger prints. That being said, you guys are right. It will probably be more than Last Kiss. Sweet print to select to release Josh, thanks!!
entropy
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:47 pm

HappaHaoli wrote:Cost aside, would the sheer weight of museum glass at these dimensions rule it out?

I got a print framed earlier this year with museum glass - a sheet of 35" x 47.5". The whole job cost me $600 (framer waived the tax). but living in California, you always wonder whether your framed art will withstand the slight shift of a certain tectonic plate.
Personally, I just cannot stand the glare of anything below museum glass.
The ultimate I hear is museum acrylic. but very expensive.
SteveKai
Art Expert

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:17 pm

entropy wrote:
HappaHaoli wrote:Cost aside, would the sheer weight of museum glass at these dimensions rule it out?

I got a print framed earlier this year with museum glass - a sheet of 35" x 47.5". The whole job cost me $600 (framer waived the tax). but living in California, you always wonder whether your framed art will withstand the slight shift of a certain tectonic plate.
Personally, I just cannot stand the glare of anything below museum glass.
The ultimate I hear is museum acrylic. but very expensive.
that stuff is amazing. I used it for my most recent Banksy print as well as a pair of pretty large(18 x 45) Chris Anthony "Victims and Avengers" prints.
db23
Art Expert

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:21 pm

SteveKai wrote:that stuff is amazing. I used it for... a pair of pretty large(18 x 45) Chris Anthony "Victims and Avengers" prints.
whatever that is it's AMAZING!
SteveKai
Art Expert

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:28 pm

db23 wrote:
SteveKai wrote:that stuff is amazing. I used it for... a pair of pretty large(18 x 45) Chris Anthony "Victims and Avengers" prints.
whatever that is it's AMAZING!
are you talking about Chris Anthony's prints? Thanks db, they really are amazing. Not to sound like a doucher, but the best way i can describe it is that the pieces give off a classical/baroque type vibe mixed with a eerie/haunting vibe. I love that, maybe that's why i'm a huge Hussar fan too. He kind of captures that feeling in his work as well. Here's the other Anthony piece i have, "Emily"...same exact frame job as the other :)

I really hope i get a shot at the Sowers print. I've only been able to catch one Keyes release, would love to have this one hanging up in a thick white box frame.
db23
Art Expert

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:40 pm

Steve those are beautiful. I love the one with the woman with the sword. How big is it? I've never been a huge Keyes fan but this thing is amazing. Most likely not going to buy because i know how impossible that ordeal is.
mattlew69
Art Expert

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:45 pm

Nice Anthony's you have there Steve!

We must be brothers from another mother, because i think you and i have the same art collection. Although, you do have more Hussars than me! :notworthy:

I still need to frame all my Hussars and Anthony's. That is going to be very expensive. :x
cerebus
Art Expert

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:48 pm

Anthony's stuff is amazing, but too rich for my blood.
SteveKai
Art Expert

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:50 pm

db23 wrote:Steve those are beautiful. I love the one with the woman with the sword. How big is it? I've never been a huge Keyes fan but this thing is amazing. Most likely not going to buy because i know how impossible that ordeal is.
thanks db. My bad bud, those are actually Chris Anthony prints. I was just showing them because i used the museum acrylic that another forum member was talking about. The pieces are apprx 18" x 45". Keyes has actually only painted a human being once, himself as a homeless guy with a shopping cart. Picking up Sowers is definitely going to be tough, but you should give it a shot anyway bud. I'm definitely going to.
mattlew69 wrote:Nice Anthony's you have there Steve!

We must be brothers from another mother, because i think you and i have the same art collection. Although, you do have more Hussars than me! :notworthy:

I still need to frame all my Hussars and Anthony's. That is going to be very expensive. :x
haha! Great to see someone with similar tastes in art. What Anthony's do you have bud? I've actually never met anyone with Chris Anthony artwork. In fact, it's safe to say that every time i've posted these pics on various art forums, i've always been asked "who's the artist?".

As far as framing goes: I find a lot of classical/baroque/ornate frames on ebay for really low prices. The frames look amazing, are well crafted and i literally can find them for under $100. Once you have the frame, it's a lot cheaper to take to a framer and pay for only the glass, matting and labor. I found that i saved a lot of money doing it that way. And to be honest, ebay has a lot more options for frames than any framer does. Just type in "baroque frame" or "ornate frame" etc on the search tab and you'll see a bunch come up. It may take a little digging to find the one you love, but it's definitely there.
Last edited by SteveKai on Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BILLYTHEKID
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:52 pm

Can anyone help me out with a breakdown of release info. 8)

What date?
What time?
Where?
How much?
How many?

(i know im lazy)
mattlew69
Art Expert

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:58 pm

SteveKai wrote:
mattlew69 wrote:Nice Anthony's you have there Steve!

haha! Great to see someone with similar tastes in art. What Anthony's do you have bud? I've actually never met anyone with Chris Anthony artwork. In fact, it's safe to say that every time i've posted these pics on various art forums, i've always been asked "who's the artist?".
I have an AP of the Victims and Avengers Portfolio, which are much smaller than those prints you have. I would love to frame the whole portfolio one day. I love the velvet mats you used.

Chris Anthony is great. I just wish he had some newer stuff, besides the ocean seascapes, they didnt grab me as much as Victims and Avengers.

I see there are a couple huge Anthony pieces on ebay, but they are just a tad expensive for me.