Sowers 10 Keyes Release Discussion 11/05/10

The place to discuss and anticipate new art releases.
jazzgalaxy
Art Expert

Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:12 pm

Bluecow wrote:
Tadrules wrote:You're right, selling art is like rocket science!!! :hanging:

edit...i'm laughing even harder now that i've remember this is what....like the fourth print released this year.

artist are not good at selling art, it's just not in their blood. he could be releasing giclee every month. ...then maybe i could see using a gallery. four prints a year? why bother.
I never said it was difficult. I just imagine it's a headache that he would prefer not to have to deal with and I don't blame him.
Also, who knows what his working relationship is like with DBS, maybe they have an arrangement that makes it mutually beneficial to release prints this way.
pvecchi
Art Expert

Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:53 pm

It is a tradition gallery-artist relationship where it is mutually beneficial for both parties

I had no idea who Keyes was until David B Smith gallery started promoting and sponsoring him (back in 2007) . My guess is most people are in the same boat. I don't think it is a long shot to say that DBSmith gallery has helped gain attention and exposure for Josh Keyes and has helped his career along to the point where it is at today. It is only natural of Mr Keyes to continue that partnership until they mutually decide to go their separate ways

My guess is that DBSmith gallery also prints the giclees (many galleries own their own giclee printers) so that is probably also a factor in the relationship

There is a lot of investiment and effort that a (respectible) gallery makes in their sponsored artists and most artists know this and appreciate this effort.

A good gallery-artist relationship is a GOOD thing for collectors and fans

Paul
jazzgalaxy
Art Expert

Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:59 pm

pvecchi wrote:It is a tradition gallery-artist relationship where it is mutually beneficial for both parties

I had no idea who Keyes was until David B Smith gallery started promoting and sponsoring him (back in 2007) . My guess is most people are in the same boat. I don't think it is a long shot to say that DBSmith gallery has helped gain attention and exposure for Josh Keyes and has helped his career along to the point where it is at today. It is only natural of Mr Keyes to continue that partnership until they mutually decide to go their separate ways

My guess is that DBSmith gallery also prints the giclees (many galleries own their own giclee printers) so that is probably also a factor in the relationship

There is a lot of investiment and effort that a (respectible) gallery makes in their sponsored artists and most artists know this and appreciate this effort.

A good gallery-artist relationship is a GOOD thing for collectors and fans

Paul
All makes sense to me.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:03 pm

DBS produces the best giclees I've seen (other than the one Ray Caesar giclee I saw at the Juxtapoz show in Laguna).
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
hirschy75
Art Expert

Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:04 pm

Tadrules wrote:
Bluecow wrote:
Tadrules wrote:Josh is a fool for using a gallery to release prints.
I don't think so. He doesn't have to waste an ounce of energy on dealing with the headaches associated with print sales. He can spend his energy simply focusing on creating new exhibitions while someone else handles the dirty work of selling the prints. Think how many times you've seen artists dealing with all the emails they get when a drop goes badly, plus operating the site to host the sales and having a store system. Instead of all that Josh just simply says to talk to the gallery, not him. Sure he gets less money by not doing it himself, but there is probably a lot of value to him in the peace of mind of not handling the drops himself.
You're right, selling art is like rocket science!!! :hanging:

edit...i'm laughing even harder now that i've remember this is what....like the fourth print released this year.

artist are not good at selling art, it's just not in their blood. he could be releasing giclee every month. ...then maybe i could see using a gallery. four prints a year? why bother.
You really care that the gallery is releasing it? Or are you just upset that you don't always get the print?

Think about it. What difference would there be if it was sold on the gallery site vs Joshs own site? There'd still be the same amount of people going for it
reminder: ink on paper
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:06 pm

It could mean lower prices if the artist sold it directly since there would be no gallery cut.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Tadrules
Art Expert

Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:08 pm

Josh misses frisko freeze. He should cut out the middle man.

Galleries are good for fans? hahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahhaha. That's funny!!!!
If you use ULINE tubes, please don't pm me about trades or sales.
tranito
Art Expert

Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:13 pm

OtisMcfluster wrote:
Codeblue wrote:DBS produces the best giclees I've seen.
This is accurate.
Audrey's and Tara's are on the same level imo.
Last edited by tranito on Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
OtisMcfluster
Art Expert

Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:16 pm

Codeblue wrote:DBS produces the best giclees I've seen.
This is accurate.
jamel-d
Art Freak

Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:23 pm

j_pawlish1476 wrote:
Bluecow wrote:This will likely be a regular sale with an edition size that large. I imagine some people on a list somewhere will be given the chance to buy it and avoid the madness of the online sale, but there will be an online sale almost certainly.

I hope they offer this to people on the list. I've been on it since January ..................................................
Of what year?
gshedron
Art Connoisseur

Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:36 pm

Oh man, I have to have this :drool:

Haven't gone for a Keyes drop before, considering the run and assuming a $400+ price tag, do you think this will be fairly easy to get? Like as in not sell out in 12 seconds and crash the site.
rubberneck
Art God

Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:18 pm

gshedron wrote:Oh man, I have to have this :drool:

Haven't gone for a Keyes drop before, considering the run and assuming a $400+ price tag, do you think this will be fairly easy to get? Like as in not sell out in 12 seconds and crash the site.
:hanging:
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 6&start=45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
gshedron
Art Connoisseur

Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:28 pm

Awesome, can't wait.
downtown
Art Expert

Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:22 pm

He doesnt have a choice being under contract.
Less for him to worry about and more time to paint.
Tadrules
Art Expert

Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:30 pm

downtown wrote:
He doesnt have a choice being under contract.
Josh is a fool for using a gallery to release prints. :D
If you use ULINE tubes, please don't pm me about trades or sales.