Oldboy 10 Cooper Release Discussion 10/05/10

The place to discuss and anticipate new art releases.
ironjaiden
Art Expert

Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:52 am

suchanoo wrote:I prefer it as it is, as per the subtitles. This twisted grammar suits the plot much more than the 'Queen's English' would anyway.

This is a great piece of art, I think whatever your views on the quote, it has far more to offer and to focus on than the text. Dae Su is depicted perfectly here, I reckon this image sums up everything about his desperation and confusion. This is a guy who has had his humanity systematically stripped away, I don't think during his incarceration he would have been practicing his 'how now, brown cows'.

Nice work Mr. Cooper, congrats for sticking to your guns on this.
Uh huh
solthistle wrote:yea this is great no matter what the quote is...it's actually better with the off grammar. Great poster, great movie... love the famous scroll fight scene at bottom too
Yeah

So ya'll tellin me that fudge looks right too?
Hey I got a boner for this poster just like everyone but let's not pretend the mangled quote somehow enhances the imagery. Makes you fellas look downright silly in here. :)
solthistle
Art Connoisseur

Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:14 am

ironjaiden wrote:
suchanoo wrote:I prefer it as it is, as per the subtitles. This twisted grammar suits the plot much more than the 'Queen's English' would anyway.

This is a great piece of art, I think whatever your views on the quote, it has far more to offer and to focus on than the text. Dae Su is depicted perfectly here, I reckon this image sums up everything about his desperation and confusion. This is a guy who has had his humanity systematically stripped away, I don't think during his incarceration he would have been practicing his 'how now, brown cows'.

Nice work Mr. Cooper, congrats for sticking to your guns on this.
Uh huh
solthistle wrote:yea this is great no matter what the quote is...it's actually better with the off grammar. Great poster, great movie... love the famous scroll fight scene at bottom too
Yeah

So ya'll tellin me that fudge looks right too?
Hey I got a boner for this poster just like everyone but let's not pretend the mangled quote somehow enhances the imagery. Makes you fellas look downright silly in here. :)
No it doesn't look right to the eye, at first sight it sticks out to me. I figured Rhys must have seen a different version of the movie because that would be a pretty big flake out to get the one liner wrong. But once he said that he watched another version were that was indeed in the subtitles, it made total sense to go with that version. To me its kind of comical, bad dub, its a talking point to anyone else that may see it hanging. So no I don't think it makes me look silly, it sheds a little humor on a seriously drymounted up movie. He may not have been going for the humor but it happened anyway. And yes the poster is crazy, a must have and hang.
"If you were a good pimp you would've hit me by now!"

"If looks could kill, I am a-dead now"
suchanoo
Art Expert

Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:34 am

How silly I feel in the shadow of that awesome art critique :)
UK Member? Reclaim some VAT... http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... =8&t=85994
shut your mouth and open your mind
ironjaiden
Art Expert

Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:12 am

:D
solthistle
Art Connoisseur

Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:29 pm

:hanging:

solthistle
Art Connoisseur

Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:41 pm

hopefully those crying over the grammar won't be going for this one then.... one more chance for me :D

ironjaiden
Art Expert

Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:24 pm

seppuku
Art Connoisseur

Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:51 pm

ironjaiden wrote:Love the poster, HATE the butchered quote.
"Even though I'm no worst..." is silly and not from the film.
"Even though I'm no better than a beast, don't I have a right to live?" is what the character says in the film. Here's hoping someone catches that before this one gets printed.
Actually it seems the "official" quote (from imdb.com and numerous other quote sites) is:

"Even though I'm no more than a monster - don't I, too, have the right to live? "

Damn I really do wish I had used that... love the way it rolls off the tongue...

Gee, turns out things can be lost in translation. who would have thunk that? :D
ironjaiden
Art Expert

Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:07 pm

seppuku wrote:
Actually it seems the "official" quote (from imdb.com and numerous other quote sites) is:

"Even though I'm no more than a monster - don't I, too, have the right to live? "

Damn I really do wish I had used that... love the way it rolls off the tongue...
Yeah I think that one's the smoothest for sure. I wonder if that's closest to the original Korean.
That language seems tough to translate for some reason. We saw a couple of Korean films at Fantastic Fest this year and the film makers seemed pretty bummed on how the subtitles turned out.
Jamesesdad
Art Connoisseur

Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:58 am

seppuku wrote:
"Even though I'm no better than a beast, don't I have a right to live?" is what the character says in the film. Here's hoping someone catches that before this one gets printed.

Still an amazing poster, I really hope I can snag one!
db23
Art Expert

Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:52 am

Rhys, when will the proper english variant be available and will it be on metal? Thanks.
yingko
Art Connoisseur

Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:27 pm

The set of the three is up now!
pencilfightchamp
Art Connoisseur

Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:30 pm

+1 :D
nagamisan
Art Connoisseur

Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:03 pm

seppuku wrote:

Well, perhaps it is this type of unintentional mistake that might make this poster more desirable... :cry:
virtualmert
Art Expert

Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:27 pm

+1 on oldboy!
:cautiously removes pants: