Wound 16 Pejac Release Discussion 5/12/16

The place to discuss and anticipate new art releases.
1000steps
Art Expert

Fri May 13, 2016 9:10 pm

I like it because it is not another enviro-cliche. Goodness knows I've seen my share of well meaning but insipid environmental art.

Part of what I like about Pejac's work is the contextual uncertainty. Instead of rubbing one's nose in an "issue", he makes visual statements that hint at the travails of modern life. By leaving much undefined in his images, he invites meditation or rumination from observers.

I am not surprised many don't "get" his work. The point of his work is not accessibility, but investigation.

p.s. - I missed on the drop, so this is opinion, not hype. And yes, amateur mods, I made an Art Comment in the Release Thread. Tough cookies.
Welcome to the sleaze pit
Diabolos80
Art Expert

Fri May 13, 2016 10:38 pm

I don't think his work is very tough to get, especially because it's mostly hints and undefined. Deer are in trouble, trees are in trouble, ice is in trouble. Humans bad, Earth good. I certainly think he's plenty accessible. His work is more comprehensible than Fairey's to me. But then, I'm illiterate...
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Sat May 14, 2016 2:43 am

I'll maintain that Pomet does it better, but carry on.
nevadinova
Art Expert

Sat May 14, 2016 1:53 pm

bulkhead72 wrote:I'll maintain that Pomet does it better, but carry on.

I like that first one.
bkboy77
Art Expert

Sat May 14, 2016 2:56 pm

I don't know how you can keep on comparing the works of a gallery artist against a street artist.
fung430 wrote:Expressobeans knows everything.
alittle
Art Freak

Sat May 14, 2016 3:16 pm

Needs moar sesame street characters, amirite?
tranito
Art Expert

Sat May 14, 2016 4:46 pm

bkboy77 wrote:
I don't know how you can keep on comparing the works of a gallery artist against a street artist.
Pejac paints full blown canvases that would fit right in next to Pomet's paintings in a gallery. It doesn't require much imagination to think of Rojo when you see Wound or vice versa. My brain made the association naturally first time I saw Wound. They're both Spanish artists too.
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Sat May 14, 2016 4:49 pm

^ Yep.

Also, in my mind, Pejac's print seems unnecessarily large - I get that he is trying to showcase the contrast between the white and red and convey a message, but there isn't enough going on in the image (way too much white space) to warrant the size of this print. I find the excessive use of white in this image boring.

If the image had more going on, such as the Pomet examples I cited (or Meadow, which is more "full"), I could see the justification for such a large print.

Seppuku is another example where there is way too much white space in my view. I get that that's how it looks on the side of a building - it just doesn't translate too well to a print. It's fine to disagree.

Banksy's GWB would look pretty boring, too, if it was all blown up.

Also, not enough Cookie Monster.
bert
Art Expert

Sat May 14, 2016 5:29 pm

The size is perfectly fine in my opinion. If you don't have the wall space to hang it, fine...but as an artistic choice, I don't see anything wrong with it. It's a well proportioned print and I imagine it'd have much more of an impact at this size than it would if it was 20" x 14" (for example).
Scottjohnston
Art Expert

Sat May 14, 2016 5:52 pm

One the things that I love about Pejac's work is how simple it is.

Paco's works with the Sesame Street characters don't do much for me, but I don't mind the tree print. It's also double the run size, and more than double the price of Pejac's Wound mind you.

And why can't the art comments be opened? :hanging:
canuck
Art Freak

Sat May 14, 2016 9:37 pm

I know it was stated somehwere this print was about global warming. At first it brought to mind when those environmentalists(??) got stuck in Antartica in a ship or somewhere similiar and caused a ton of damage to the glaciers, earth and what not when rescue teams had to come save em. Can't remember exactly the details but that's what came to mind.

On a side note I miss going for tough drops! Was it a complete fudge show?!
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Mon May 16, 2016 1:14 pm

Diabolos80 wrote:I don't think his work is very tough to get, especially because it's mostly hints and undefined. Deer are in trouble, trees are in trouble, ice is in trouble. Humans bad, Earth good. I certainly think he's plenty accessible. His work is more comprehensible than Fairey's to me. But then, I'm illiterate...
:lol: See, there's where it may need to be more direct. Deer are certainly not in trouble.

:cheers:
I'm not someone else.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Mon May 16, 2016 3:49 pm

canuck wrote:I know it was stated somehwere this print was about global warming. At first it brought to mind when those environmentalists(??) got stuck in Antartica in a ship or somewhere similiar and caused a ton of damage to the glaciers, earth and what not when rescue teams had to come save em. Can't remember exactly the details but that's what came to mind.

Nucky! I miss you. Where ya been?

Drop was easy peasy but that's because it oversold by almost the size of the run.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
bomb
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 18, 2016 7:55 am

The Pomet Rojo is a beautiful print. This will be framed close by.
canuck
Art Freak

Sun May 22, 2016 7:39 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:
canuck wrote:I know it was stated somehwere this print was about global warming. At first it brought to mind when those environmentalists(??) got stuck in Antartica in a ship or somewhere similiar and caused a ton of damage to the glaciers, earth and what not when rescue teams had to come save em. Can't remember exactly the details but that's what came to mind.

Nucky! I miss you. Where ya been?

Drop was easy peasy but that's because it oversold by almost the size of the run.
Oh hey friend!

I just pop in here occasionally now to check out all the purrty art I can't go for anymore, drymounting work. It makes me wanna cry.

Sold 2/3 of the collection and now just a sour stick in the mud.

but a wise wise man once said.......I'LL BE BACK.

PSsst GO PEJAC!