Mondo Gallery presents "Hereos in a Half Shell" 08/17-25

Discussion of gallery shows and art exhibitions.

Postby mfaith on Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:39 pm

This month we're stoked to invite TMNT fans to celebrate everyone’s favorite wise-cracking, pizza-obsessed crime fighters and their cast of heroic allies and evil arch enemies in our next gallery show, Heroes in a Half Shell: A Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Celebration! The gallery show kicks off with two events - both are free and open to the public. The opening night reception will be held Friday, August 17 from 7:00 – 10:00 PM, followed by a special TMNT Family Day party on Saturday, August 18, from 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM featuring pizza (of course!) and other TMNT-inspired treats, face painting, a photo booth, and other fun activities!

Following these events, the show will run during regular gallery hours, Tuesdays – Saturdays from 12:00 PM – 6:00 PM, through August 25. Mondo Gallery is located at 4115 Guadalupe Street in Austin, TX.

#wheresbilly
mfaith
EB Team

Image Image ImageImageImage

Postby Chandler53 on Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:07 pm

In it to win it.
Chandler53
Art Connoisseur

Postby ACCBiggz on Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:39 pm

As I'm new to this hobby & community... how do these Mondo gallery events differ from their online drops other than being in person? Thanks for answering what I'm sure is a dumb question!
ACCBiggz
Art Enthusiast

Postby mfaith on Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:40 pm

ACCBiggz wrote:As I'm new to this hobby & community... how do these Mondo gallery events differ from their online drops other than being in person? Thanks for answering what I'm sure is a dumb question!

Do you mean in terms of purchasing process/logistics? Or like attention/hype/attendance?
mfaith
EB Team

Postby ACCBiggz on Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:49 pm

mfaith wrote:
ACCBiggz wrote:As I'm new to this hobby & community... how do these Mondo gallery events differ from their online drops other than being in person? Thanks for answering what I'm sure is a dumb question!

Do you mean in terms of purchasing process/logistics? Or like attention/hype/attendance?

Yes, sorry, in terms of purchasing and any salient details. I have friends in the area that would not mind stopping by for me, but I don't have information for them.

Thanks again, mfaith!
ACCBiggz
Art Enthusiast

Postby mfaith on Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:56 pm

Sure, so for pretty much every opening, there'll be some kind of line out front before the doors open. How early that line will begin to form largely depends on how big of a show it is, and how much hype there is around it. But the line to get in will also serve as the line order for purchasing prints from the show. They'll have little "menu" sheets at the front door when you go in with pencils to mark on the sheet what you want to buy, so when you get to the register, you just hand them the sheet with your choices marked, and pay. They'll bag everything you bought up and give it to you there. Most people will either bring some kind of tube or foam core sandwich to keep their purchases safe. And then just hang out and enjoy yourself. Free beer, cool art, sweet hangs.
mfaith
EB Team

Postby ReeceTheRoof on Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:46 pm

Thanks mfaith! Like ACCBiggz, I am new to the hobby and located over in NY. My girlfriend is from McAllen TX though and I am actually going to be in the area on August 17th. Perfect time for my first Mondo show and love the TMNT!

Thank you for the tips, I am going to plan on getting there a early and waiting out the change on grabbing that Tobin variant.
ReeceTheRoof
New User

Postby ichnob on Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:34 pm

Hoping my PB can nab me a Tobin regular.
ichnob
Art Enthusiast

Postby ahjushi on Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:06 pm

New to this hobby as well, and wondering if "proxying" is a thing in this community as it is in some other hobbies I partake in. Not sure if it goes by another name here, but basically someone in the locale (person A) buys it for someone who isn't (person B). B of course pays for shipping and a fee on top of retail price to A. Does such a thing exist for posters? If so, how does one find such a proxy? Thank you :)
ahjushi

Postby mfaith on Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:11 pm

ahjushi wrote:New to this hobby as well, and wondering if "proxying" is a thing in this community as it is in some other hobbies I partake in. Not sure if it goes by another name here, but basically someone in the locale (person A) buys it for someone who isn't (person B). B of course pays for shipping and a fee on top of retail price to A. Does such a thing exist for posters? If so, how does one find such a proxy? Thank you :)

Yeah, the term typically used in this hobby for it is PB (for Poster Buddy). You could always post an ISO thread for it, if you wanted. Or if it's Mondo, there's a thread already for PB requests for Mondo gallery shows: https://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtop ... 67bcb6c9d6
mfaith
EB Team

Postby ahjushi on Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:28 pm

Thank you, mfaith! Really appreciate the help.
ahjushi

Postby Frankabilia on Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:37 pm

Thinking about flying from MN to this (haven't been to the gallery since it opened in 2012 w/ the sci-fi show, so I think I'm due). Not sure if my wife & 2.5 year old daughter will be making the trip with me though. If not...is it still worth it to go to the event the next morning? Would hate to just fly out for the night and miss the other festivities, but I also don't wanna be the only weirdo at a "Family Day party" with no family with me, hah!
Frankabilia
Art Connoisseur

Postby Codeblue on Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:09 pm

It's never too late to become a big brother.
Codeblue
Art God

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby kansasbbq on Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:41 pm

Frankabilia wrote:Thinking about flying from MN to this (haven't been to the gallery since it opened in 2012 w/ the sci-fi show, so I think I'm due). Not sure if my wife & 2.5 year old daughter will be making the trip with me though. If not...is it still worth it to go to the event the next morning? Would hate to just fly out for the night and miss the other festivities, but I also don't wanna be the only weirdo at a "Family Day party" with no family with me, hah!

There are plenty of other fun things to do in Austin.
kansasbbq
Art Freak

Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq

Postby mfaith on Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:56 pm

Yeah I would take that advice ^^ I mean you could certainly go hang out at the gallery again the next day and check out the show once more. But if they have kids activities and stuff going on, it may not be very convenient. I'd say, hit up the opening, and stay all bloody night. Get your fill of free beer and rad art. Then go do something else fun in Austin the next day :D
mfaith
EB Team

Next

Return to Art Events