Arik Roper & David D'Andrea at Furthur Frames, June 10, 2018

Discussion of gallery shows and art exhibitions.

Postby fredo on Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:52 am

Sheeit. The first collab, I think? #nosleeptiloakland
fredo
Art God

just a foil for me today, thanks

Postby comountaingolf on Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:06 am

Just got home from a lil Pete's Cafe bacon & eggs post-SLEEP show @ the Ogden. The buzzzzzzzz continues on many fronts :lol:

First collab was the '12 Oakland. They also did a smaller version for the '12 Euro Tour. Lucky enough, and unbeknownst to me, they also did a B&W Keyline edition of the Euro '12 collab. Saw that last night hidden under a pile while talking with Roper and grabbed it with the quickness.

Roper & D'Andrea also collaborated on the '14 Santa Cruz/Santa Ana shows, the '15 4/20 Denver & Seattle shows and the '16 Fall West Coast Tour.

As far as Furthur Frames, Corey knocked it out of the drymounting ballpark! Sabbath on the speakers, tasty suds on tap, pretty much every Roper & D'Andrea SLEEP print framed to perfection by FF as well as for sale solo from the flat file. With the added space, FF is really making something special on Santa Fe and it was a fun night. As mentioned, grabbed a B&W from the '12 May Euro tour that didn't exist as far as I was concerned and brought all of the collabs and variants from my flat file for the guys to sign. Both Roper & D'Andrea couldn't have been nicer guys.

D'Andrea also had the OG work for the Marijuanaut saga on preview, along with some cool pins of Roper's Dopesmoker and D'Andrea's Iommi for a couple bucks a pop. All and all, a great exhibit and, as always, SLEEP drymounting K I L L E D it tonight @ the Ogden. Primitive Man was pretty drymounting rad as well.

:cheers:
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!

Image THC X 8

Postby peacedog on Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:38 am

I think David and Arik had a good time as well. Few things I enjoy more than working with the artists on their stuff and getting their perspective on the scene. My son was pretty taken with them, they were both super engaging with him and encouraging as he brought wave after wave of drawings for their consideration. I'm hopeful we'll be seeing them back soon!

The Sleep crowd was super cool, everyone seemed to have a good time. Glad I left the blacklight gallery up, a good crowd for it!

Dig the new dance floor, COmtn? Thanks for coming! The added space is exactly what we needed,excellent flow, much easier to host a show and not have everyone standing on top of each other. Love it!
peacedog
Art Expert

Postby TOTM on Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:48 am

Solid... Just caught up, looks amazing & out of this world yo! Helluva show, well done duder... And dudettes!
TOTM
Art Expert

Postby comountaingolf on Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:25 pm

Yeah, I forgot to mention the Blacklight Gallery downstairs. H O L Y B A L L S was that really drymounting cool :clap: :lol:
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!

Image THC X 8

Postby IbisMummy on Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:29 pm

Cragars wrote:Hope you get a hold of one of his 2001 posters before the show :shock:

Arik has his AP's up for sale in his shop at the moment:

http://www.arikroper.com/store/
IbisMummy
Art Connoisseur

ironjaiden: "...I have no idea how some of you dudes make it through the day, stressful as life is and all."
Frank Zappa: "Good night Austin, Texas, wherever you are."

Postby Kramerica on Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:55 pm

I gotta say, I was a little underwhelmed by the final jpeg on those, but the prints are great in person. The companion art print is nice as well.
Kramerica
Art Freak

When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH

Postby fredo on Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:04 pm

Next 2001 commish should be a monkey in a spacesuit sitting in one of those red future-chairs with a starbaby gestating in it's stomach. Knitting a leopardskin onesie. With bones. Under a HAL-eye sun. On the moon. Tagline "meat is murder"
fredo
Art God

just a foil for me today, thanks

Postby IbisMummy on Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:07 pm

Kramerica wrote:I gotta say, I was a little underwhelmed by the final jpeg on those, but the prints are great in person. The companion art print is nice as well.

I was always a little iffy on the layout (from concept sketch on). But Arik seemed to like this idea the best, and I was willing to see where it went. Specifically, I was never sold on the the three central figures (ape/Monolith/astronaut) as they seemed sort of diminutive and lost in the print, but was always stoked for some Roper landscape (which he certainly did deliver). But, with the print in hand, it makes much more sense than I anticipated. The Monolith looms much larger than I expected; and, it dwarfing the other two figures really makes sense. Glad the group (largely) let him run with it.
IbisMummy
Art Connoisseur

ironjaiden: "...I have no idea how some of you dudes make it through the day, stressful as life is and all."
Frank Zappa: "Good night Austin, Texas, wherever you are."

Postby Cragars on Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:46 pm

I really like the variant but too bad the sides of the art print took some ink with it :hanging: Reg is in good condition tho
Cragars
Art Expert

Previous

Return to Art Events