Chuck Sperry's "Heaven of Many a Tangled Hue" @ Spoke Art

Discussion of gallery shows and art exhibitions.

Postby peacedog on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:19 pm

fredo wrote:
TOTM wrote:
fredo wrote:Designs look killer - text is a wee distraction though. And what's Nick Cave got to do with skateboards? Or #craftbur for that matter?

Back in the day, Cave was an apprentice brewer before plying his trade as a musician... And in his spare time, often during lunch breaks, could be found chucking sick mother drymounting rad ollie's over 4 kegs to the barrel! Alls whilst wearing a perfectly cut, three piece suit... Stands to reason!

I begrudgingly accept this.

And looking again on a bigger screen, the text is still...apart from the design, but not so much as it seemed on first blush. The black framing the figure brings things together. As with everything in my life, I blame the phone.

Remember that they took the central image from his Psychedelic Session posters he did across Europe and the lettering is clearly a part of that composition. Looks to me like there was some outside influence on the board. The pics don't show off the multiple glazes on the board either. The central image is also very flat on a gloss metallic background, it visually steps forward very nicely.
peacedog
Art Expert

Postby fredo on Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:38 pm

peacedog wrote:Remember that they took the central image from his Psychedelic Session posters he did across Europe and the lettering is clearly a part of that composition.

Correct - these puppies here:
http://www.expressobeans.com/public/sea ... series=976

The lettering on the gigposters is definitely integrated better, as you'd expect. I cut some slack on the deck for having to keep some separation between the art and the text/branding, which as you say was probably not necessarily Chuck's choice.

IRREGAHDLISS I think we can all agree that this is a really nice painting of a broad on a board.

fredo
Art God

just a foil for me today, thanks

Postby ricv64 on Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:44 am

fredo wrote:

u

mark twain called the Venus of Urbino by Titian, aka Venetian Chuck , the most vile painting...drymount twain....great show , it should be seen
ricv64
Art Expert

shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila

Previous

Return to Art Events