HeroesCon 2018

Discussion of gallery shows and art exhibitions.

Postby greenhorn1 on Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:50 pm

Looks like I'll be going to this for the first time this year. 2 quick questions for anyone who has been or is in Charlotte. 1. Is this show big enough to warrant spending 3 days at or if we're there Friday and Sat. will we have enough time? 2. How is traffic in downtown Charlotte? I'm thinking we'll probably get a hotel out a ways to save money and just drive in for the convention but if that's going to be a nightmare maybe we'll just stay at the Westin Convention Center.
greenhorn1
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImageImage
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)

Postby xDIRTYxDANx on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:10 am

HeroesCon is one of my favorite cons simply due to it being like 95% creator based, not many cosplayers and weird booths up. Its got a really rad art auction each year that i suggest you go to. The times Ive gone I stay with a friend and have them drop be off or I Uber. Traffic never really seems too bad, but I wouldnt say three days would be needed to experience the entire show. Just make sure youre there on Sat night for the Art Auction. All the artists at the co normally work on a piece to enter. Definitely a solid con to meet and mingle with creators as well.

greenhorn1 wrote:Looks like I'll be going to this for the first time this year. 2 quick questions for anyone who has been or is in Charlotte. 1. Is this show big enough to warrant spending 3 days at or if we're there Friday and Sat. will we have enough time? 2. How is traffic in downtown Charlotte? I'm thinking we'll probably get a hotel out a ways to save money and just drive in for the convention but if that's going to be a nightmare maybe we'll just stay at the Westin Convention Center.
xDIRTYxDANx
Art Enthusiast

Postby agr719 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:43 am

It's one of my favorites. The last couple times we've gone, my wife and I were there for at least part of all three days, but I would agree that it isn't necessary to really take it all in. There are always a select few creators I make it a point to visit. And Dirty Dan is right about the art auction. When we last went two years ago (didn't make it last year because wife was 8 months pregnant), that was our first time going to the auction and it was a really fantastic time all around.

Definitely hope to make it back this year! My wife gets insane deals on Marriott hotels, so we stayed at a Fairfield Inn a couple miles away and switched up between walking in and taking the shuttle from the hotel.
agr719
Art Expert

Image Image ImageImage
mcnail wrote:Ha, EB, y'all crazy.

Postby greenhorn1 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:51 am

Thanks for the info. The art auction is one of the primary draws for me. I've heard it's one of the best and I've enjoyed ones at c2e2 in the past.
greenhorn1
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImageImage
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)

Postby rmoore on Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:08 am

greenhorn1 wrote: 2. How is traffic in downtown Charlotte? I'm thinking we'll probably get a hotel out a ways to save money and just drive in for the convention but if that's going to be a nightmare maybe we'll just stay at the Westin Convention Center.

Being primarily a banking town, Charlotte traffic sucks during the week but uptown (yes, everyone calls it uptown here, I can't stand it) is pretty dead on the weekends. Parking anywhere uptown is going to cost you, though.
rmoore
Art Expert

Return to Art Events