Mondo Gallery Presents: BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES Art Show

Discussion of gallery shows and art exhibitions.

Postby iambillyg on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:48 pm

Image
https://mondotees.com/blogs/news/justin-ericssons-batman-the-animated-series-gallery-show

We're flipping the switch on the bat signal during South by Southwest with a spectacular gallery show featuring the Caped Crusader with limited edition screen prints from Phantom City Creative’s Justin Erickson.

The show will highlight Batman: The Animated Series, one of the most celebrated incarnations of Gotham’s Dark Knight. The opening reception will be at Friday, March 9 from 6 – 10pm and will be on display until March 12. The Mondo Gallery is located at 4115 Guadalupe St, Austin, TX.

Additionally, we are calling all Robins, Batgirls, and Nightwings for a special “Batman Family Day” on Saturday, March 10 from 10am – Noon. Kids and parents can join the Caped Crusader on his quest to protect Gotham, paint faces, and more family activities. Baked goods from Zucchini Kill, and coffee will be served.

Batman has seen many incarnations of his nearly 80-year history at DC Comics, and one of the most beloved interpretations by fans was seen in Batman: The Animated Series (1992-1995). Following the success of Tim Burton's film adaptation of the character, Warner Bros. Animation brought Batman into a gorgeous and timeless art deco version of Gotham City, using villains from the entire run of the DC hero’s history, and a few new ones, like Harley Quinn, who made her debut appearance on the show in 1992. Bruce Timm, & Eric Radomski, along with writing of Paul Dini, crafted arguably one of the most iconic versions of the Dark Knight to date.

“For me Batman: The Animated Series is the best on screen version of Batman by far. The show featured the best Batman/Bruce Wayne, the best Gotham, the best villains, the best everything. Bruce Timm, Eric Radomski and their creative teams made something incredible that could be light hearted and fun to dark and tragic without missing a beat. I hope what we've done with this gallery is a worthy tribute to everything they created. Kevin Conroy is Batman,” said artist Justin Erickson.

In addition to new posters available at the gallery, Mondo’s upcoming line of Batman: The Animated Series 1/6 scale figures will be on display.


Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
iambillyg
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 10165
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:14 am
Location: Austin, TX
KingOfNothing wrote:It's not Mondo it's more like Mondone.

Postby fallchild on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:51 pm

Ugh, flying into Austin on the 14th. Blows the show is so short.
fallchild
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 242
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 1:53 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Postby jkw3000 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:55 pm

fallchild wrote:Ugh, flying into Austin on the 14th. Blows the show is so short.


More time for the line to start for the show after...*cough*houseparty*cough*

Anyway, hope they play the entire series on loop or something for the evening.
Last edited by jkw3000 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
jkw3000
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 19425
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:22 pm
Image
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.

Postby Creation88 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:04 pm

awesome! now what is the second SXSW show? :hanging:
User avatar
Creation88
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 2531
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:02 pm
Location: TX
FS: BTTF II variant

Postby iambillyg on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:05 pm

Creation88 wrote:awesome! now what is the second SXSW show? :hanging:

Image
User avatar
iambillyg
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 10165
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:14 am
Location: Austin, TX
KingOfNothing wrote:It's not Mondo it's more like Mondone.

Postby Chandler53 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:30 pm

Should be a fun one.
User avatar
Chandler53
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 822
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:59 pm

Postby Creation88 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:34 pm

iambillyg wrote:
Creation88 wrote:awesome! now what is the second SXSW show? :hanging:

Image


didnt mean it as an insult to this show (which i'm really looking forward to). PCC's BTAS pieces have all been great. should be a fun one.
User avatar
Creation88
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 2531
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:02 pm
Location: TX
FS: BTTF II variant

Postby iambillyg on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:39 pm

Didn't take it as an insult at all.

Image
User avatar
iambillyg
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 10165
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:14 am
Location: Austin, TX
KingOfNothing wrote:It's not Mondo it's more like Mondone.

Postby playa787 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:17 pm

In people's honest unbiased opinion how well does Batman TAS hold up now? I've only seen a handful of episodes back in the day(I wasn't big into the WB lineup), and I know a lot of other superhero cartoons from the era I personally liked, haven't aged very well and would be hard to watch now(Spiderman holds up somewhat, X-Men not so much). I saw Mask of the Phantasm recently and I found it just ok, but maybe watching it out of context hurt my perception of it(Then again we all know batman pretty well). I've just been curious about binging this one but am a little apprehensive of the sheer amount of it, considering there are so many things to watch nowadays. Maybe there's some seasons better than others and so on.
User avatar
playa787
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1742
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:02 am
Location: Mos Eisley, CA
"__________ is one of my favorite movies ever but that poster doesn't do it for me. -E.B.

Postby bulkhead72 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:04 pm

I still dig it. Would've flow out for this if it was at a later date, but am excited to see more of this series.
User avatar
bulkhead72
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 9453
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:50 am
Location: Los Angeles

Postby jkw3000 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:27 pm

playa787 wrote:In people's honest unbiased opinion how well does Batman TAS hold up now? I've only seen a handful of episodes back in the day(I wasn't big into the WB lineup), and I know a lot of other superhero cartoons from the era I personally liked, haven't aged very well and would be hard to watch now(Spiderman holds up somewhat, X-Men not so much). I saw Mask of the Phantasm recently and I found it just ok, but maybe watching it out of context hurt my perception of it(Then again we all know batman pretty well). I've just been curious about binging this one but am a little apprehensive of the sheer amount of it, considering there are so many things to watch nowadays. Maybe there's some seasons better than others and so on.


Some episodes certainly don't hold up as well as others, but it's good because (1) it still works as a serious Batman while also being kid-friendly and (2) it clicks even more as the beginning of DC's Animated Universe - seeing that incarnation of Conroy-voiced Batman from the beginning of his career to a futuristic old-age version is really, really potent. But yeah, it deserves a lot of credit though for finding a balance between something an 8 year old can watch while still engaging the teen or adult fan. It did a lot of stuff that really worked - their interpretation of Mr Freeze, building Harvey Dent before giving us Two Face, the Batman escalation theory getting covered in one episode, Harley Quinn, a lot of great contributions. That said, if you found Mask of the Phantasm just okay, you'll probably feel the same about the series as a whole.
User avatar
jkw3000
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 19425
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:22 pm
Image
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.

Postby hunterjax on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:36 pm

I think the show mostly holds up still because it was originally designed as a "timeless" Batman - it's got elements of all eras up to that point . . . the majority of the look of the cars/buildings was 40s/50s art deco, but the story telling moved back and forth between pulp and modern.

I'm really looking forward to what Justin does with this show - he really captured the serial movie nature of the episodes with his first go around.

Also, I'll probably be ISO a PB for this show - lot to ask of my buddy who lives in Austin to pick up posters on the first weekend of SX. I'm not a completist, but I'll probably by looking for a few of these.
User avatar
hunterjax
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3658
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:40 am
_____________
RambosRemodeler wrote:.........You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby playa787 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:03 pm

jkw3000 wrote:
playa787 wrote:In people's honest unbiased opinion how well does Batman TAS hold up now? I've only seen a handful of episodes back in the day(I wasn't big into the WB lineup), and I know a lot of other superhero cartoons from the era I personally liked, haven't aged very well and would be hard to watch now(Spiderman holds up somewhat, X-Men not so much). I saw Mask of the Phantasm recently and I found it just ok, but maybe watching it out of context hurt my perception of it(Then again we all know batman pretty well). I've just been curious about binging this one but am a little apprehensive of the sheer amount of it, considering there are so many things to watch nowadays. Maybe there's some seasons better than others and so on.


Some episodes certainly don't hold up as well as others, but it's good because (1) it still works as a serious Batman while also being kid-friendly and (2) it clicks even more as the beginning of DC's Animated Universe - seeing that incarnation of Conroy-voiced Batman from the beginning of his career to a futuristic old-age version is really, really potent. But yeah, it deserves a lot of credit though for finding a balance between something an 8 year old can watch while still engaging the teen or adult fan. It did a lot of stuff that really worked - their interpretation of Mr Freeze, building Harvey Dent before giving us Two Face, the Batman escalation theory getting covered in one episode, Harley Quinn, a lot of great contributions. That said, if you found Mask of the Phantasm just okay, you'll probably feel the same about the series as a whole.

Interesting points. thanks for the insight
User avatar
playa787
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1742
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:02 am
Location: Mos Eisley, CA
"__________ is one of my favorite movies ever but that poster doesn't do it for me. -E.B.

Postby Celsius on Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:19 pm

Love the catwoman print. I wonder how many new prints there will be.
User avatar
Celsius
Flipper
 
Status: Active
Posts: 8210
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:14 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California (was in Yokohama, Japan)
"Beautiful white wings for you. For the world? Death and destruction." - Spoiler Character (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)

Postby iambillyg on Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:24 pm

Holy fudge. You're alive?
User avatar
iambillyg
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 10165
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:14 am
Location: Austin, TX
KingOfNothing wrote:It's not Mondo it's more like Mondone.

Next

Return to Art Events



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest