SDCC 2018

Discussion of gallery shows and art exhibitions.

Postby SPAC04 on Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:18 am

sounds like a paaaartay to me
SPAC04
Art Expert

Postby BENYOUNG20 on Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:26 pm

sincere86a wrote:I dunno... Funko Funday 2015 was one of the craziest things I've ever witnessed at SDCC and that's saying a LOT. I went to get stuff for my daughter and at a certain point I just resigned myself to the fact that I wasn't getting anything that wasn't handed to me. Table diving, broken bones, intentional elbows, people literally taking from children, etc. There's definitely a level of crazy to any fandom, but I can't say I've ever seen that at Mondo.

Yeah they changed up fundays after that incident. They don’t throw out items any more. Last two years of fundays have been loud and enthusiastic....but not crazy like that was.
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Postby sincere86a on Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:19 am

I heard they've managed to calm things down but still... The fact that they were tearing Pops out of kid's hands was a bit alarming. I literally saw a guy table dive to get one of the thrown Pops. Fundays is calm now but only because the organizers got better at managing it. A contingent of people there would probably still hit a kid for a Pop.

As annoying as a lot of things are at SDCC, I usually have to give a lot of credit for not having many violent incidents (apart from the Hall H eye stabbing thing). Fundays was one of those things where I watched and thought, "Oh so it could be this bad." I'm not saying their fans are all like that but it's just one of those things I'd just as soon stay away from.
sincere86a
Art Expert

Postby BENYOUNG20 on Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:36 am

Mondo line for the Mitchell portrait last year didn't result in any broken limbs or pushed children...but it was just barely a step up from that!
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Postby tourist504 on Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:01 am

SDCC sounds like the worst
tourist504
Art Expert

maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.

BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.

jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.

Imagex6

Postby sincere86a on Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:48 am

BENYOUNG20 wrote:Mondo line for the Mitchell portrait last year didn't result in any broken limbs or pushed children...but it was just barely a step up from that!

Yeah that line was bad. Glad I was in and out quickly.
sincere86a
Art Expert

Postby BENYOUNG20 on Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:59 am

tourist504 wrote:SDCC sounds like the worst

Or the best...all depends on what you are into.
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Postby EgoDeath on Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:45 pm

Not sure if it still applies, but Mitchell said a few months ago (in January, I think) that he wasn't doing anymore exclusive limited portraits at conventions, namely SDCC.

I got in line early for Preview Night last year, and I'll never forgot - the stranger beside me telling his friend he is heading straight to the Mondo booth. He didn't know what they were going to have but he was going there first to "grab a Mondo". Seems like 80% of the Mondo Line at SDCC is now that.

It could be a potentially big year (GotG2, Infinity War, Black Panther, Solo) for Mondo at SDCC - but I am not holding my breath, as mentioned before, they don't really have the space to handle the line they have for the lackluster releases and people just buying to be buying.
EgoDeath
Art Connoisseur

Postby sincere86a on Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:07 am

Yeah the Mondo booth has been underwhelming for a few years but still has an insane line of people who think they're all getting huge flip potential. Poor Mo does the best he can but the crowd just sort of hovers and forms an unofficial line before bum-rushing the actual line. It's also so much worse when they have a signing at the booth. I wish they'd go back to the one year where they pre-sold some of the bigger releases and did signatures upstairs in the Sails.

That said it does lead to some funny things. I was in line one year and the woman in front of me finally got close enough to the booth to see prices and FLIPPED. "I thought these were free!!! This is outrageous. I've been in line for 35 minutes so they can ask for money?" *Storms out of line.

Also I still love the one year (maybe their first) where the line would just sit around waiting for the next mystery release. Line was over 100 deep waiting for the reveal when someone put up the 8 Bit Jake and Finn (#memories). Crowd audibly groaned. :lol: :lol: :lol:
sincere86a
Art Expert

Postby BenRichards on Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:20 pm

sincere86a wrote:That said it does lead to some funny things. I was in line one year and the woman in front of me finally got close enough to the booth to see prices and FLIPPED. "I thought these were free!!! This is outrageous. I've been in line for 35 minutes so they can ask for money?" *Storms out of line.

Also I still love the one year (maybe their first) where the line would just sit around waiting for the next mystery release. Line was over 100 deep waiting for the reveal when someone put up the 8 Bit Jake and Finn (#memories). Crowd audibly groaned. :lol: :lol: :lol:

This sounds pretty hilarious. And 8 Bit Finn was 2012, I think 2011 was their first year.
BenRichards
Art Connoisseur

Cragars wrote:Rainbow bukake won't ever make the wall.

Postby EgoDeath on Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:09 pm

sincere86a wrote:I was in line one year and the woman in front of me finally got close enough to the booth to see prices and FLIPPED. "I thought these were free!!! This is outrageous. I've been in line for 35 minutes so they can ask for money?" *Storms out of line.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I've noticed entitlement at an all time high the last couple years I've went, meanwhile the "free swag" seems to get worse each year.
EgoDeath
Art Connoisseur

Postby swabie2424 on Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:12 am

I yearn for the good ol’ days at SDCC. Before exclusives were a thing. Before Hollywood arrived. Before the dark times... before The Empire! When you could smoke a cigarette and chat with Stan Lee at the curb without a single douche taking a picture with a cell phone.

This will be my 26th year in a row. I used to love it. Now I tolerate it and am most interested in making sure my kids have fun. I gave up on Mondo there years ago. It’s just a stoopid time suck. I loved the year they did the pre-sale. I refuse to sacrifice my entire show waiting in that line for largely mediocre fare. I tried for one thing last year and gave up after 20 minutes after the non-line line bs. #yawn

For you SDCC old timers with street cred.... I was at the infamous Rob Zombie party at SDCC. That’s the kinda stuff that should matter down there. Let the drymounting newbs, johnny come latelies and ham-n-eggers earn their stripes.

End rant.
swabie2424
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Postby EgoDeath on Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:13 pm

swabie2424 wrote:I yearn for the good ol’ days at SDCC. Before Funko.
EgoDeath
Art Connoisseur

Postby Badbutch on Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:25 pm

I'm with you, Swabie. I would say about the time Image came about it started getting out of control. Now it's just a fudge show. That said, if you know what you're doing and avoid all the bullshit it can still be a blast.
Badbutch
Art Expert

Image Image Image
"'Cause I'm a karate man! And a karate man bruises on the inside!" ~ Billy Ray Valentine

Postby sincere86a on Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:22 pm

I used to love the smaller movie panels too. You USED to be able to get into any panel with almost no lead time. Hall H included. One year (can't remember the room), but I met Guillermo Del Toro and Doug Jones, chatted for a few. Ran back into the room to watch the next panel. Left, met Jason Statham. Was STILL able to go back into the room to see David Arquette announce that he literally lost the film reel he was going to show during his panel. He then proceeded to spoil his entire movie and offered to give his van to anyone that could find the footage he lost on the way to the room.

The above scenario is now completely impossible. Studios tightly control every aspect of those panels. Security keeps you FAR away from anyone. And there's no way to leave/get back into any panel regardless of popularity.
sincere86a
Art Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Art Events