SDCC 2018

Discussion of gallery shows and art exhibitions.

Postby Codeblue on Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:48 pm

I don't think their booth could handle it anymore.
User avatar
Codeblue
Art God
 
Status: Active
Posts: 49605
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby applehead on Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:11 pm

ANybody want to be a Funko Buddy at SDCC18? I can return the favor n many ways, including NYCC18, cash, trades. PM me if interested. Thx
applehead
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 2050
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:48 pm

Postby aibohphobia on Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:36 am

Hotel lottery links should be going out today. Good luck next Wednesday!

I already have an ISO out but looking for some help or an extra room if a group gets one.
aibohphobia
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3145
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:52 pm
Image _ Image

Postby sincere86a on Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:45 pm

Hotelpocalypse is the drymounting worst. Best of luck to everyone.
User avatar
sincere86a
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 986
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:27 am
Location: ATX

Postby BENYOUNG20 on Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:51 pm

Yep only part of SDCC I fear anymore is hotel lottery. Not sure why as last year 3 members in my group all got selected for the room we wanted so we had more shots than we needed but...still the fear of having to stay somewhere further is fearsome.
User avatar
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1376
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:49 pm
Location: STL

Postby ciphe on Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:53 pm

applehead wrote:ANybody want to be a Funko Buddy at SDCC18? I can return the favor n many ways, including NYCC18, cash, trades. PM me if interested. Thx


the line for funko is insane, I still don't get it.
User avatar
ciphe
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1277
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:51 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Postby BENYOUNG20 on Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:04 pm

ciphe wrote:
applehead wrote:ANybody want to be a Funko Buddy at SDCC18? I can return the favor n many ways, including NYCC18, cash, trades. PM me if interested. Thx


the line for funko is insane, I still don't get it.

People on the funko forum say the same things about Mondo...
User avatar
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1376
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:49 pm
Location: STL

Postby ciphe on Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:21 pm

BENYOUNG20 wrote:
ciphe wrote:
applehead wrote:ANybody want to be a Funko Buddy at SDCC18? I can return the favor n many ways, including NYCC18, cash, trades. PM me if interested. Thx


the line for funko is insane, I still don't get it.

People on the funko forum say the same things about Mondo...


I agree, camping out 96 hours for mondos is a little much
User avatar
ciphe
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1277
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:51 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Postby Codeblue on Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:34 pm

Nobody camps out for Mondos at sdcc.
User avatar
Codeblue
Art God
 
Status: Active
Posts: 49605
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby dodgers77 on Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:39 pm

Codeblue wrote:Nobody camps out for Mondos at sdcc.



Maybe for a Stout
User avatar
dodgers77
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1564
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:32 am
Location: Westside

Postby BENYOUNG20 on Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:45 pm

Codeblue wrote:Nobody camps out for Mondos at sdcc.

didn't say they did, but people camped out at mondo for house party and that was like a 5 day line.
Not saying the items are at all the same. Just different fanbases are willing to wait for different things and they all think anyone else that does similar activities is crazy.
I have camped for baseball tickets before and those line people thought people camping for toys / art were silly.

Different strokes for different folks.
User avatar
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1376
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:49 pm
Location: STL

Postby Codeblue on Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:06 pm

Camping out for tiny vinyl toys that you can get almost all of online or at various other retailers (sans ZOMG SDCC sticker) is tardier than camping out for original artwork. Plus the low purchase price brings out a lot more #riffraff. There does seem to be quite a bit of crossover though.
User avatar
Codeblue
Art God
 
Status: Active
Posts: 49605
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby BENYOUNG20 on Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:12 pm

Codeblue wrote:Camping out for tiny vinyl toys that you can get almost all of online or at various other retailers (sans ZOMG SDCC sticker) is tardier than camping out for original artwork. Plus the low purchase price brings out a lot more #riffraff. There does seem to be quite a bit of crossover though.

If you are going for profit...there is more profit in camping for Funko at SDCC than there is for any Mondo show.
But you are also probably spending more at the funko booth than at a mondo show, not sure how you see funko being cheaper as the campers will often buy all 60+ exclusives that cost $15+ each. But sure vinyl toys are less cool than paper pictures.
User avatar
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1376
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:49 pm
Location: STL

Postby sincere86a on Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:14 am

I dunno... Funko Funday 2015 was one of the craziest things I've ever witnessed at SDCC and that's saying a LOT. I went to get stuff for my daughter and at a certain point I just resigned myself to the fact that I wasn't getting anything that wasn't handed to me. Table diving, broken bones, intentional elbows, people literally taking from children, etc. There's definitely a level of crazy to any fandom, but I can't say I've ever seen that at Mondo.
User avatar
sincere86a
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 986
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:27 am
Location: ATX

Postby kansasbbq on Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:13 am

Broken bones, really?!?
kansasbbq
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 16647
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:46 pm
Location: AUSTIN, tx
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq

PreviousNext

Return to Art Events



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests