SDCC 2018

Discussion of gallery shows and art exhibitions.

Postby BENYOUNG20 on Tue May 29, 2018 8:44 am

Jugheadd wrote:Hey all,

I have never been to SDCC. At this close to the com would tics even be possible for a realistic price?

For those of you that have been, how crazy is it? Ive never even been to NYCC.

Just thought id start with the most epic of comic cons as i've been told..

how crazy are hotel prices and do you think air bnb or something of the like would be decent?

insight greatly appreciated..

Tickets sold out months ago and are not transferable (at least by the rules).
Hotels all sold out months ago as well and most like most reasonably price air bnbs.
Personally I would start planning for 2019, unless you are a baller or a schemer.
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Postby sincere86a on Tue May 29, 2018 10:56 am

Jugheadd wrote:Hey all,

I have never been to SDCC. At this close to the com would tics even be possible for a realistic price?

For those of you that have been, how crazy is it? Ive never even been to NYCC.

Just thought id start with the most epic of comic cons as i've been told..

how crazy are hotel prices and do you think air bnb or something of the like would be decent?

insight greatly appreciated..

Yeah... It's kind of something you have to plan well in advance.

tickets/badges are a lottery system and go on sale from 10-6 months prior to the event.

Downtown hotels (closest to the event) sell out as soon as they're up. Hotels are still possible leading up to the con but you'll be further out. Avg price through the convention itself is around $200-$400 p/night

As for crazy levels... That's going to depend on how you define the word. It's definitely not for everyone. Insanely large crowds, ridiculous lines (ahem... Mondo), over-priced food, etc. I always recommend checking it out but if you've never been to any convention or don't like crowds then it may not be worth the price.
Last edited by sincere86a on Tue May 29, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sincere86a
Art Expert

Postby ygolohcysp on Tue May 29, 2018 11:36 am

Plenty of hotels within 15/20 mins and pubic transportation/rideshares can get you anywhere you want to go. Check craigslist for badges closer to the con, you can usually get 5 days passes for $400 as sellers get desperate. Everyone thinks they have gold when they want to resell, they don't. Passes go for reasonable amounts although you may see the random outlier on ebay that sellers always try to reference or the classic "they're going for $1200, look at all the ads!", they're not. Be persistent, it's a buyer's market when it comes to passes but the sellers will swear up and down to you otherwise, keep in mind they're pushing to sell for an inflated price, but they'll flail with flaky buyers that string them along and be stuck with their passes at the last minute. At which point you will buy for a normal price. I have bought 6 or more passes on the secondary market every year for the last half dozen cons, trust me.
ygolohcysp
Art Connoisseur

Postby BENYOUNG20 on Tue May 29, 2018 12:13 pm

Doubt sellers get desperate this year, stubhub is allowing them to be sold there for the first year.....and they have been selling for more than $400 per day, while weekend ones are selling for closer to $2k. Watch here:
https://www.stubhub.com/san-diego-conve ... ue/212830/
But maybe set a page monitor as they are selling pretty swiftly once they are listed.
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Postby liptonsweettea on Tue May 29, 2018 12:29 pm

talk about that, my friend cant not make it to con this year, have thursday and sunday badge if anyone looking to go, dont worry it wont be stubhub price.
liptonsweettea
Art Expert

Postby ygolohcysp on Tue May 29, 2018 4:14 pm

BENYOUNG20 wrote:Doubt sellers get desperate this year, stubhub is allowing them to be sold there for the first year.....and they have been selling for more than $400 per day, while weekend ones are selling for closer to $2k. Watch here:
But maybe set a page monitor as they are selling pretty swiftly once they are listed.

Ebay is the same way, every year there's a hand full of suckers who pay too much. Most people selling their tickets are not professional resellers and are happy to move them for a fair price once the clock is running out. Every year I do the same thing, I message everyone on craigslist with my offer starting about 3 weeks away from preview night and once a week after I do the same thing again. And every year the week of the con I buy all the 5 day passes I need for less than $100 a day. As the con draws closer the landscape changes drastically and rapidly. It's a buyer's market. But believe what you will!
ygolohcysp
Art Connoisseur

Postby BENYOUNG20 on Tue May 29, 2018 4:49 pm

ygolohcysp wrote:
BENYOUNG20 wrote:Doubt sellers get desperate this year, stubhub is allowing them to be sold there for the first year.....and they have been selling for more than $400 per day, while weekend ones are selling for closer to $2k. Watch here:

Ebay is the same way, every year there's a hand full of suckers who pay too much. Most people selling their tickets are not professional resellers and are happy to move them for a fair price once the clock is running out. Every year I do the same thing, I message everyone on craigslist with my offer starting about 3 weeks away from preview night and once a week after I do the same thing again. And every year the week of the con I buy all the 5 day passes I need for less than $100 a day. As the con draws closer the landscape changes drastically and rapidly. It's a buyer's market. But believe what you will!

If you do it every year.....why not just buy your badge when they are released instead of paying any inflated secondary price?
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Postby ygolohcysp on Tue May 29, 2018 5:09 pm

If I could purchase for my group at cost I would love to!
ygolohcysp
Art Connoisseur

Postby BENYOUNG20 on Thu May 31, 2018 1:34 pm

BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Postby Slacking on Thu May 31, 2018 8:37 pm

I get volunteer passes every year for the past 6, volunteers usually get a handful to eight passes and flip them. You can get in but you gotta be able to twerk something to get in there. Lol
Slacking
Art Enthusiast

Postby fdiskmbr on Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:49 pm

Comic con email
Comic-Con is pleased to announce that we will be offering—for the first time ever!—an exclusive, limited-edition print based on the cover of our 2018 Souvenir Book. Illustrated by artist Matt Taylor and celebrating the 10th anniversary of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, this 8-color, silk-screen print measures 24” wide x 36” tall, on 100 lb. paper. Each print will be sequentially numbered by the printer and signed by the artist. Best of all, the print is produced for Comic-Con by Mondo, the world-famous purveyor of exclusive high-quality items such as prints, pins, vinyl records, and Tiki mugs. Mondo’s items sell out almost instantly on their website when they go on sale.

If you are a Comic-Con 2018 attendee and have a badge registered under your Comic-Con Member ID account, you are invited to submit interest for a chance to purchase an exclusive Comic-Con 2018 Mondo print. A limited number of the prints are being reserved for attendees only. You can submit interest for one print per eligible Member ID.
fdiskmbr
Art Connoisseur

Postby swabie2424 on Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:00 am

Just tried to enter the drawing/lottery for the Mondo print. It says I can’t because I have a pro badge and not a plain ol’ attendee badge. Just another SDCC slap in the kisser! Oh well...
swabie2424
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Postby questkid32 on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:39 am

swabie2424 wrote:Just tried to enter the drawing/lottery for the Mondo print. It says I can’t because I have a pro badge and not a plain ol’ attendee badge. Just another SDCC slap in the kisser! Oh well...

Yeah, this is a buzzkill. Hope when they inevitably switch everything to lottery system pros don't get shut out completely.
questkid32
Art Expert

Postby dweebofthedead on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:44 am

Anyone need a full weekend badge plus preview night? PM me.
dweebofthedead
Art Expert

Postby BENYOUNG20 on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:52 am

Lots of people complaining about volunteers / pro / exhibitors not being eligible for these drawings.
It does suck that they didn't announce that in advance, but I think going forward it seems fair.
Just get a regular badge if you want to be eligible for these lotteries!
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Art Events