SDCC 2018

Discussion of gallery shows and art exhibitions.

Postby egrimens on Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:22 pm

BENYOUNG20 wrote:Lots of people complaining about volunteers / pro / exhibitors not being eligible for these drawings.
It does suck that they didn't announce that in advance, but I think going forward it seems fair.
Just get a regular badge if you want to be eligible for these lotteries!

???
you make it sound like it is super easy to "just get a regular badge"

There is a reason that every year I have friends that live in SD hit me up to try to get them a paid pro badge after being shut out on the regular sale.

I understand the logic of blocking exhibitors, because they don't want these things being resold on the floor right away (which they will be anyway). But, I'm curious, what is fair about blocking the volunteers who help put the con on and the creators of content which makes Comic Con exist from having a "chance" at something they themselves might collect? It honestly would barely affect the odds with a convention that has 120k+ people going to it.
egrimens
Art Expert

Postby tourist504 on Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:52 pm

Just reading through this thread fills me with anxiety and rage.

SDCC seems like WAY more trouble than it's worth.
tourist504
Art Expert

maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.

BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.

jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.

Imagex6

Postby EgoDeath on Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:06 pm

egrimens wrote:I understand the logic of blocking exhibitors, because they don't want these things being resold on the floor right away (which they will be anyway). But, I'm curious, what is fair about blocking the volunteers who help put the con on and the creators of content which makes Comic Con exist from having a "chance" at something they themselves might collect? It honestly would barely affect the odds with a convention that has 120k+ people going to it.

Precisely. I have been lucky enough to get preregistration passes everytime, but exactly what perks do any other badges anyone besides Exhibitors get? None. Why exclude them? If it weren't for professionals cultivating this culture, SDCC wouldn't exist. If it weren't for volunteers, the system would collapse and organization of moving people throughout the con would be worse than it already is.

Either way its going to be fun to see the people bitching and crying when they lose every lottery. The freshman class at SDCC composed of nothing but greed and hubris.

tourist504 wrote:SDCC seems like WAY more trouble than it's worth.

The only way I can get through it is to just relax and go a long for the ride. If you need to be front row for Game of Thrones panel, are chasing exclusives the entire time or need to be within a block of the hotel you are setting yourself up for an anxiety attack.
EgoDeath
Art Connoisseur

Postby sincere86a on Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:44 pm

EgoDeath wrote:Precisely. I have been lucky enough to get preregistration passes everytime, but exactly what perks do any other badges anyone besides Exhibitors get? None. Why exclude them? If it weren't for professionals cultivating this culture, SDCC wouldn't exist. If it weren't for volunteers, the system would collapse and organization of moving people throughout the con would be worse than it already is.

Either way its going to be fun to see the people bitching and crying when they lose every lottery. The freshman class at SDCC composed of nothing but greed and hubris.

:iagree: I've seen a lot of "good/that's fair" in regards to pros not being included in the lottery. Which really just leads me to believe they have no idea how each individual badge works.

Hopefully this isn't the norm going forward.
sincere86a
Art Connoisseur

Postby BENYOUNG20 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:53 pm

Also SDCCblog just did a pretty good break down of the benefits of each badge:

https://sdccblog.com/2018/06/san-diego- ... -overview/
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Postby BenRichards on Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:32 pm

BENYOUNG20 wrote:Also SDCCblog just did a pretty good break down of the benefits of each badge:

https://sdccblog.com/2018/06/san-diego- ... -overview/

So are they no longer letting people in early with Pro Badges? :hanging:
BenRichards
Art Connoisseur

Cragars wrote:Rainbow bukake won't ever make the wall.

Postby mllNY on Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:38 pm

EgoDeath wrote:
egrimens wrote:I understand the logic of blocking exhibitors, because they don't want these things being resold on the floor right away (which they will be anyway). But, I'm curious, what is fair about blocking the volunteers who help put the con on and the creators of content which makes Comic Con exist from having a "chance" at something they themselves might collect? It honestly would barely affect the odds with a convention that has 120k+ people going to it.

Precisely. I have been lucky enough to get preregistration passes everytime, but exactly what perks do any other badges anyone besides Exhibitors get? None. Why exclude them? If it weren't for professionals cultivating this culture, SDCC wouldn't exist. If it weren't for volunteers, the system would collapse and organization of moving people throughout the con would be worse than it already is.

tourist504 wrote:SDCC seems like WAY more trouble than it's worth.

The only way I can get through it is to just relax and go a long for the ride. If you need to be front row for Game of Thrones panel, are chasing exclusives the entire time or need to be within a block of the hotel you are setting yourself up for an anxiety attack.

same with press, people say well its a free badge but don't acknowledge most of the press people, at least most of my friends (and myself when I do press for NYCC) don't get paid and spend hours writing articles and we do that because we cover these companies year round and then they exclude press
mllNY
Art Enthusiast

Postby BenRichards on Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:19 pm

Mondo's booth for SDCC is twice the size this year as they moved from 835 towards the video game area into booth 435 for this year. Let's hope things go much more smoothly.
BenRichards
Art Connoisseur

Postby dol3 on Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:14 pm

MONDO, FALSE IDOL, AND PLANTATION RUM PRESENT - CON-TIKI MUG PARTY!
Thursday, July 19, 2018 from 6:30 PM to 10:00 PM

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mondo-false-idol-and-plantation-rum-present-con-tiki-mug-party-tickets-47087096774
dol3
Art Connoisseur

Postby BenRichards on Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:27 pm

Thanks! +1 :pint:
BenRichards
Art Connoisseur

Postby dweebofthedead on Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:30 pm

Damn. It.
dweebofthedead
Art Expert

Postby sickleclaw on Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:33 pm

I only had a saturday badge, but what exactly do they do for the Mondo party? Like what prizes and stuff?
sickleclaw
Art Enthusiast

Postby toobs on Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:09 am

dol3 wrote:MONDO, FALSE IDOL, AND PLANTATION RUM PRESENT - CON-TIKI MUG PARTY!
Thursday, July 19, 2018 from 6:30 PM to 10:00 PM

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mondo-false-idol-and-plantation-rum-present-con-tiki-mug-party-tickets-47087096774

ISO ticket completely forgot about this
toobs
Art Expert

Codeblue wrote:Ya know they'll put out at least 1 "ZOMG gotta rub mah nuts on another dukes butt to get in line for it" poster.

Postby ygolohcysp on Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:36 am

ygolohcysp
Art Connoisseur

Postby ygolohcysp on Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:09 pm

Those went quick!
ygolohcysp
Art Connoisseur

PreviousNext

Return to Art Events