Shepard Fairey - Damaged - 11/11 Los Angeles

Discussion of gallery shows and art exhibitions.

Postby Codeblue on Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:09 pm

xangelx wrote:
TheBeard wrote:Thought about going but just got lazy. Apparently it's an absolutely fudge show.

Got in on an early afternoon preview.

#humblebrag

P. S. How did ya finagle dat?

P. P. S. I had a feeling it would be a fudge show and passed.
Codeblue
Art God

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby xangelx on Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:38 pm

Codeblue wrote:
xangelx wrote:
TheBeard wrote:Thought about going but just got lazy. Apparently it's an absolutely fudge show.

#humblebrag

Total humblebrag. Shoulda hashtagged it myself. Got it through a work connection.

Honestly unless you were dead set on being there the opening night there's no reason to go and deal with it. You can buy the fine art pieces from the preview. You kinda have to since most get sold before the show opens and the new prints that were available are runs of 450 so I'd bet some at least are being held back for online drops. If I wasn't passing through LA anyway this weekend AND didn't have the hookup I'd totally go during the week and enjoy the show without the clusterfuck.
xangelx
Art Expert

"If I could fly high above the world, would I see a bunch of living dots spell the word stupidity" - Bad Religion

Postby aldo on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:08 pm

I can't find anything about the hours for the show. Is it open today to go see? Everything just talks about the opening last night.
aldo
Art Expert

Postby Codeblue on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:28 pm

xangelx wrote:
Codeblue wrote:
xangelx wrote:

#humblebrag

Total humblebrag. Shoulda hashtagged it myself. Got it through a work connection.

Honestly unless you were dead set on being there the opening night there's no reason to go and deal with it. You can buy the fine art pieces from the preview. You kinda have to since most get sold before the show opens and the new prints that were available are runs of 450 so I'd bet some at least are being held back for online drops. If I wasn't passing through LA anyway this weekend AND didn't have the hookup I'd totally go during the week and enjoy the show without the clusterfuck.

What were the print images and what did ya cop?

P. S. Where is bulky with his opening pics and stack of sweet booty?
Codeblue
Art God

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby infrared90s on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:31 pm

looks like this is one of them

infrared90s
Art Expert

Postby dolamite24 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:42 pm

Any idea on how many new images were released as prints last night?
dolamite24
Art Connoisseur

Postby bulkhead72 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:52 pm

Codeblue wrote:
P. S. Where is bulky with his opening pics and stack of sweet booty?

My Contact at the gallery rescued me from the brutal line, yay. Amazing show. Didn't put in a request for any pieces, as I am happy with the pieces I have. The Lotus ones were pretty neat, as were the large scale canvases, of course. I am sure LSC and Obey will release photos soon, so I'll leave the pics of the large pieces to the pros. Just included photos of some of the smaller and medium sized displays below. Note that there was another room housing the large scale pieces, printing press, newspapers, etc. The show was indeed massive.

For those curious about the prints available, I've also included some photos below. There were 3 new ones as well as a recent release. The Damaged Times is a keeper for me, as it is the closest to a true "show print." Signed versions of all 8 offset lithos were also available for purchase.

Great atmosphere, with live music and folks in good spirits. The line was a little absurd and many people did not manage to make it in. I'm sure that caused frustration, but the show isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Definitely want to check it out at least one more time when it's not as packed.

bulkhead72
Art Expert

Check out my auctions.

Postby dodgers77 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:24 pm

Opening looked and sounded like a cluster f*ck ! Show looks very impressive and will definitely check it out before it closes !! Thanks for pics and the write up Bulkhead :clap:
dodgers77
Art Expert

Postby Codeblue on Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:39 pm

Ma man bulky comes through again. Was the parking as bad as they say? I might be coming up at the end of the month and was wondering where the best place to park nearby is.

P.S. Have any shots of the prints they were printing on site? I assume ya copped. Also, which 8 offset lithos? The ones already on the Obey site or the B&W "stencil" prints teased on fb?
Codeblue
Art God

Postby stuckeyc on Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:48 pm

Diggin that damaged times print. Hopefully get it on the obey drop.
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Postby xangelx on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:46 pm

Codeblue wrote:Ma man bulky comes through again. Was the parking as bad as they say? I might be coming up at the end of the month and was wondering where the best place to park nearby is.

P.S. Have any shots of the prints they were printing on site? I assume ya copped. Also, which 8 offset lithos? The ones already on the Obey site or the B&W "stencil" prints teased on fb?

There was definitely some parking, because they had valets parking people. Definitely not a ton so I think they were trying to avoid a ton of cars coming in, but should be fine during the day.

I only glimpsed at what they were printing on site and they looked like small one color versions of the peace guard 2 and probably some of the other images that were used for the free offsets.

The signed offsets they were selling can be seen here: eBay 253255767295 (Not my auction).
xangelx
Art Expert

"If I could fly high above the world, would I see a bunch of living dots spell the word stupidity" - Bad Religion

Postby ryefish75 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:38 am

Plenty of parking along Los Angeles Estates Park. Went over before the opening, but wasnt going to do the line. Bailed and hit the Kawasaki show instead.
ryefish75
EB Team

Postby Codeblue on Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:20 am

She had way more pieces in that show than I realized she would after checking IG tonight.
Codeblue
Art God

Postby TheMiddleman on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:51 am

Heard that "Wrong Path" (the print pictured above with all the environmental references) has sold out at the show -- hard to find info online, is that the case? If so, anyone have any idea when the online drop will be?
TheMiddleman

Postby ryefish75 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:59 am

Kinda wondering what the point of having people RSVP to this event was if they couldn't reasonably accommodate a fraction of the people in line? Seems like you could have easily limited the number of attendees by charging admission for a set number of folks and discounting the admission price for any purchases at the show.
ryefish75
EB Team

PreviousNext

Return to Art Events