Nosego's "Ingress" @ Thinkspace 07/08-07/29

Discussion of gallery shows and art exhibitions.

Postby mfaith on Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:08 pm

Main Room
Opening Reception with the Artist(s):
Saturday, July 8, 2017
6:00pm - 9:00pm

Thinkspace (Los Angeles, CA) – is pleased to announce Ingress, a solo exhibition of new works by Philadelphia-based artist and muralist, Noségo, otherwise known as Yis Goodwin. His unmistakable work is character-driven, featuring creature hybrids assembled from animals, cartoons, landscapes, and even architectures. These bodies are aggregates of parts and oppositions, and reference themes like urbanism, the vulnerability of nature and the wild, mysticism and healing, mythologies, and art history. Unlikely visual and cultural worlds collide and fuse in Noségo’s creative mashups, where objective realities are disassembled, fractured, and freely restored through the disinhibition of play.

Noségo’s paintings and large-scale public murals are executed in acrylic with both aerosol and brush painting techniques. A gifted illustrator, he meshes a graphic illustrative style with a technical skill for realistic rendering, bringing his imagery to life through intense and contrasting styles and palettes. Virtually explosive in the fervency of their color and detail, the works are busily frenetic, humming with energy. They contain worlds within worlds and reveal microscopic moments hidden within the bursting textures of the whole. These are often as subtle as shifts in patterns, motifs, and variations in light. The cumulative multiplicity of his work owes as much, if not more, to the eclecticism of his stylistic freedom. The contemporary city is always an internal armature, however, a reference that hinges everything together through color, subcultural vibes, graphic sensibility and composition. Amidst those bones are hung traces of folklore, landscape painting, references to craft and domestic space, allusions to the celestial, kids toys, and a taxonomy of wild animals – ranging from the realistic to the caricature – rivaling that of a natural history museum’s.

There is something vaguely Utopian about these creatures and the shape-shifting worlds Noségo anchors together, even when verging on the grotesque. Absolutely everything is possible, and nothing is so irreconcilably different or absurd that it can’t ultimately coexist within a single frame. There are moments of darkness that emerge, particularly in imagery that deals more directly with themes of division and dissociation, but these shadows seem placed in the service of lawless dissonance and playful absurdity rather than despondency. His cross-sectioned animal hybrids, for instance, appear literally spliced as stacked segments, but even these feel mischievous rather than pained, and closer to a childlike fascination with deconstructed toys than anything belonging to the realm of gore.

As the title of the show Ingress suggests, the artist’s work is about revealing and clearing entry points into elastic fantasy worlds rather than obstructing or circumscribing them. Each painting offers alternate realities in which to get lost, with countless ways to interpret and follow its loosely defined paths. Noségo invites the viewer to create their own story, to engage his visual world freely and as ecstatically as he creates it. The work, in all its beautiful strangeness, is open admission to a constellation of worlds.

mfaith
EB Team

Image Image ImageImage

Postby mfaith on Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:52 pm

mfaith
EB Team

Image Image ImageImage

Postby mfaith on Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:36 pm

All show pieces have been added to the DB: http://expressobeans.com/public/search. ... tist=13148

Anybody snag something? These were my personal favorites:

mfaith
EB Team

Image Image ImageImage

Postby mfaith on Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:56 am

mfaith
EB Team

Image Image ImageImage

Postby technique on Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:38 pm

He's an incredible talent. I'm very tempted on a few of those pieces from the preview but think you can get just of a good bang for your buck with his smaller stuff he post on his personal website.
technique
Art Expert

Postby adamdub on Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:52 pm

technique wrote:He's an incredible talent. I'm very tempted on a few of those pieces from the preview but think you can get just of a good bang for your buck with his smaller stuff he post on his personal website.

Oh man, he has some great stuff on his website, but his work in this show goes well beyond anything he has sold on his site. Just my opinion though.
adamdub
Art Enthusiast

Postby technique on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:00 pm

adamdub wrote:
technique wrote:He's an incredible talent. I'm very tempted on a few of those pieces from the preview but think you can get just of a good bang for your buck with his smaller stuff he post on his personal website.

Oh man, he has some great stuff on his website, but his work in this show goes well beyond anything he has sold on his site. Just my opinion though.

Oh definitely and no denying that. His show stuff is more well thought out and the stuff on his site is more a throwback to his older style with a mix of his more current landscape work. You win either way getting a piece by him and hopefully sooner rather than later for me.
technique
Art Expert

Postby mfaith on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:03 pm

I love how he painted around all of his pieces on the gallery walls, drawing everything together. It's really cool to see Andrew having more and more folks do that. Definitely makes the in-gallery experience more memorable and something special to go in for.
mfaith
EB Team

Image Image ImageImage

Postby technique on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:13 pm

mfaith wrote:I love how he painted around all of his pieces on the gallery walls, drawing everything together. It's really cool to see Andrew having more and more folks do that. Definitely makes the in-gallery experience more memorable and something special to go in for.

Yeah very cool how the walls become an extension of the art and like you said it makes the gallery experience that much more special.
technique
Art Expert

Postby adamdub on Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:06 pm

Great show, and some phenomenal larger works.
adamdub
Art Enthusiast

Postby technique on Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:33 pm

I may know where this ones going after the show is over. 8)
technique
Art Expert

Postby mfaith on Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:40 pm

Congrats man! Great piece
mfaith
EB Team

Image Image ImageImage

Postby adamdub on Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:52 pm

Love everything about it.
adamdub
Art Enthusiast

Postby technique on Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:43 pm

Didn't want to do a double post in the latest original thread since I posted the jpeg already. Here are some detail shots of my Scout piece I picked up from the show and it really is a jaw dropper in person. :pint:

technique
Art Expert

Postby mfaith on Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:34 am

:clap:
mfaith
EB Team

Image Image ImageImage

Return to Art Events