Mondo x Cyclops "Never Grow Up: A Disney Art Show" 4/28-5/13

Discussion of gallery shows and art exhibitions.

Postby earlgreytoast on Sat May 06, 2017 10:06 pm

:lol: :clap:
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Codeblue wrote:This thread is boring. I'm going to go jerk off.

http://artsy.bigcartel.com/

Postby mfaith on Sat May 06, 2017 10:12 pm

This is from RottenAtom's recap. Looks like at least a little bit of discoloration.

mfaith
EB Team

Image Image ImageImage

Postby BavarianErin on Sun May 07, 2017 12:40 am

Can confirm that our copy has some discoloration. It looks like a build up of ink to my untrained eye. Up close you can see the ink is thicker in that area. From some angles it is noticeable, from others, not really.
BavarianErin
Art Expert

ImageImage

Postby MonteAlderaan on Sun May 07, 2017 1:47 am

AliRock110 wrote:I'm going to go against the grain and say I like the reg. Thought the light tone popped the image more and I considered how that blue would contrast with her CV if I ever hung it.

I bought the reg but honestly I don't think one is particularly better than the other. I couldn't resist the rich blue and purple hues of the reg and thought it would look better next to the Danger if I put them together.
MonteAlderaan
Art Connoisseur

Postby time on Sun May 07, 2017 2:52 am

Did anyone get a Whalen Alice with white streaks/splotches on the back (just below or above, depending on which way you are looking, the image)? I can't tell if it's extra white paint or a paper issue or what. I don't think it is visible from the front, but it is obvious on the back.
Last edited by time on Sun May 07, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
time
Art Expert

Postby Codeblue on Sun May 07, 2017 3:10 am

#shouldausedeclipse
Codeblue
Art God

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby ccsmd598 on Sun May 07, 2017 7:24 am

Codeblue wrote:#shouldausedeclipse

For sure. I was never really "wowed" by printing until I starting buying prints from Cyclops (w/printing by Eclipse) and holy cow do they look good. That's not to say other printing companies (D&L, etc.) don't do a great job - they have made some gorgeous prints. At first I thought it was just because maybe Tom Whalen prints (which I never had before) print differently because of their design, but comparing a Whalen by Eclipse vs D&L side-by-side is not even a competition.
ccsmd598
Art Connoisseur

Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!

Postby CaptainZac on Fri May 12, 2017 10:30 am

Does anyone happen to know any of the mystery prints that are dropping? It looks like there are eight and a half.
CaptainZac

Postby DickButt on Mon May 15, 2017 5:44 pm

MonteAlderaan wrote:
DickButt wrote:I am fairly positive that I am the only person in the world who loves the Flames.

I liked it going into the show but the print itself has a bit of a blurred look to it. I'm not sure what exactly went wrong but a few of us at the gallery were commenting about it. I might've picked one up otherwise.

After getting this in the mail last week I have to sadly agree with it looking blurred. Such a shame.
DickButt
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Tue May 16, 2017 8:39 am

Ended up giving my mom the Taylor variant for Mother's Day. I sung the African song from the start of the movie when it was revealed. She loved it :)
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby RottenAtom on Tue May 16, 2017 8:40 am

DickButt wrote:
MonteAlderaan wrote:
DickButt wrote:I am fairly positive that I am the only person in the world who loves the Flames.

I liked it going into the show but the print itself has a bit of a blurred look to it. I'm not sure what exactly went wrong but a few of us at the gallery were commenting about it. I might've picked one up otherwise.

After getting this in the mail last week I have to sadly agree with it looking blurred. Such a shame.

Yeah, I talked that print up in my pre-show article and then ended up passing on it. It looked great in the frame from across the room, but up close was another story.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby Codeblue on Tue May 16, 2017 10:24 am

Double Luls.
Codeblue
Art God

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby Jetty on Tue May 16, 2017 12:01 pm

RottenAtom wrote:Had a blast at the Never Grow Up show. Still can't believe there's a Rich Kelly Robin Hood and it surpassed all expectations. Just look at these babies!

Great show! Lots of words and pics in my recap: http://www.nerdlocker.com/nerd-art/neve ... ters-recap

Great recap! Definitely helped me decide what I want from this series - Robin Hood, Sword in the Stone, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and possibly 101 Dalmatians :pint:
Jetty
Art Enthusiast

Postby MonteAlderaan on Tue May 16, 2017 12:10 pm

time wrote:Did anyone get a Whalen Alice with white streaks/splotches on the back (just below or above, depending on which way you are looking, the image)? I can't tell if it's extra white paint or a paper issue or what. I don't think it is visible from the front, but it is obvious on the back.

I've noticed some paint smudges and especially white specks from the paint not fully transferring through the screen on some of the Disney prints. I also had bits of white residue that you described on a few of the prints. They can be wiped off gently but will streak if too much pressure is applied. QC seemed to be a bit off for this show.
MonteAlderaan
Art Connoisseur

Postby matttaylordraws on Mon May 22, 2017 10:07 am

RottenAtom wrote:Ended up giving my mom the Taylor variant for Mother's Day. I sung the African song from the start of the movie when it was revealed. She loved it :)

this makes me inordinately happy. also, i just got my APs in - i know there have been a few q's about a mark next to simba on the variants. looks like all my copies have it to. that said, it's not super noticable - i tried it in a frame at home and behind glass you cant really see it.
matttaylordraws
Art Connoisseur

PreviousNext

Return to Art Events