Mondo x Acme Archives Present: SWxMM (March 10, 2017)

Discussion of gallery shows and art exhibitions.

Postby cotis on Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:08 pm

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/02/23/ ... uring-sxsw

Per tradition, the Mondo Gallery hosts two showcases during SXSW every year: one opening on SX's opening weekend, and another a week later, when SXSW is drawing to a close. Earlier this week, we found out about the second of these showcases (an all-originals showcase called House Party 2), and today we're finding out about the first show.

It's a doozy.

Austin, TX—February 23, 2017— Mondo Gallery is thrilled to announce its first show of 2017, “Mondo x Acme Archives Present: SWxMM,” featuring celebrated artist Mike Mitchell’s brand new character portraits of some of the most beloved heroes and villains in the Star Wars universe. Rebel scum, scruffy nerf herders, Sith Lords, golden rods, laser brains, and more will be on display with Mitchell’s dignified and iconic portrait treatment. In addition to new prints, all of Mitchell’s previously released Star Wars character portraits will be on display with a very limited number of each available for purchase, including the very first portrait released in the series with Acme Archives, “Red 5.” The show will kick off with an opening reception, open to the public, on Friday, March 10 from 7pm to 10pm and will run during regular hours until Monday, March 13. Mondo Gallery is located at 4115 Guadalupe Street in Austin, TX.

After first partnering with Acme Archives in 2016 to debut Star Wars character portraits, from the classic Luke Skywalker in X-Wing flight gear to new heroic favorites like The Force Awakens’ Rey, Mondo and Acme Archives are excited to once again invite fans to journey to a galaxy far, far away.

"I have a particular and unyielding love for the designs in Star Wars, and I'm so stoked that I got to spend a year picking out my favorite characters and bringing them to life in my own way," said Mike Mitchell.

"Over the past year, Mike's Star Wars art print series has become something really special. As with all of Mike's work, the pieces are even more powerful when shown together. We are excited to show the entire collection in one space, plus a handful of new surprises. If you're a fan of the Star Wars universe, you don't want to miss this one,” said Mondo Co-Founder/Creative Director Mitch Putnam.

To coincide with their first gallery event of the year, the full Mondo team will participate in its very first Reddit AMA on Tuesday, March 7 to discuss the show, additional plans for 2017, and well… anything! Follow Mondo's social media channels for more details on timing.

Yes, Mondo and Acme Archives are teaming up with Mike Mitchell for an all Star Wars showcase. Obviously, they're keeping a tight lid on what new posters might be dropping at this show, but they have revealed one new image: Mitchell's Tusken Raider portrait, the latest in an ongoing series of Star Wars character headshots.

It looks like this:

If you're gonna be in Austin for SXSW this year, make sure to swing by the Mondo Gallery while the showcase remains open (reminder: that's March 10th-13th), and may God have mercy on your wallet.

Stay tuned for more Mondo/SXSW coverage, folks: I'll have reports from both Mondo showcases, and you've also got a bunch of movie reviews to look forward to courtesy Evan, Meredith and Jacob! This year's gonna be a good one.
cotis
Art Expert

Postby mattkardish on Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:11 pm

wonder if there will be a Greedo!
mattkardish
Art Expert

Postby rubberneck on Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:13 pm

rubberneck
Art God

Postby Creation88 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:14 pm

drymount
Creation88
Art Expert

FS:Spirited Away/Howl's Castle set, NCFOM, BTTF II variant

Postby tenaciousjack on Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:23 pm

:drool: :drool:
tenaciousjack
Art Expert

Postby dlazarow on Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:23 pm

all my money
dlazarow
Art Expert

"A ship is always safe at the shore - but that is NOT what it is built for."
― Albert Einstein
http://www.linkedin.com/in/danlazarow
http://www.danimation-inc.com
http://www.vimeo.com/danlazarow

Postby dweebofthedead on Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:24 pm

Gimme Darth Maul already!

dweebofthedead
Art Expert

Postby Creation88 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:27 pm

hope he does a giant Jabba ala Edmiston Jaws
Creation88
Art Expert

FS:Spirited Away/Howl's Castle set, NCFOM, BTTF II variant

Postby Chandler53 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:31 pm

Let's go.
Chandler53
Art Connoisseur

Postby charter on Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:40 pm

I'll be in Austin March 4th for a wedding. Damn them for not getting married March 11th.
charter
Art Expert

Postby BENYOUNG20 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:43 pm

Will the only be portraits?
Or will it be like Marvel where we get some Star Wars themed JLUs?
I personally would love a food dude wielding a light saber.
or a Fat Convor (from Star Wars Rebels) or any other Star Wars bird.
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Postby greenhorn1 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:51 pm

I could use a pb for the tusken if anyone feels like helping out. I don't have any Mitchell stuff but I guarantee I have the largest collection of tusken merch on these boards. Pm if you can help!
greenhorn1
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImageImage
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)

Postby coborjobs2010 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:09 pm

Still no Obi-Wan or Vader yet, so I bet they will have portraits at the gallery.
Wonder what other side characters we will see too.
coborjobs2010
Art Connoisseur

Image Image

Postby tootexas on Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:43 pm

How does this event work? Is the limit similar to how their flat file sale works, i.e. one print per purchase? Or is the limit one per print?
tootexas
Art Enthusiast

Postby mattkardish on Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:50 pm

coborjobs2010 wrote:Still no Obi-Wan or Vader yet, so I bet they will have portraits at the gallery.
Wonder what other side characters we will see too.

yeah but old or young?

tootexas wrote:How does this event work? Is the limit similar to how their flat file sale works, i.e. one print per purchase? Or is the limit one per print?

i'd lean more towards the one per print, with multiple purchases allowed per person.
mattkardish
Art Expert

Next

Return to Art Events