SDCC 2017

Discussion of gallery shows and art exhibitions.

Postby charter on Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:16 pm

applehead wrote:Killed it on the FunKo tip here!! Gonna turn some of those into a Mitchell Garindan, woot woot!!

You cut the line?
User avatar
charter
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 9695
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:42 am
Location: Denver, John Denver

Postby applehead on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:52 am

charter wrote:
applehead wrote:Killed it on the FunKo tip here!! Gonna turn some of those into a Mitchell Garindan, woot woot!!

You cut the line?

???
applehead
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1858
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:48 pm

Postby SteveGo on Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:11 pm

applehead wrote:
charter wrote:
applehead wrote:Killed it on the FunKo tip here!! Gonna turn some of those into a Mitchell Garindan, woot woot!!

You cut the line?

???


The only "tip" anyone mentioned was that it was super easy to cut in line due to the chaos.
User avatar
SteveGo
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 12:25 pm
Location: Tucson

Postby applehead on Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:52 pm

I was in Denver all weekend watching my nephew. There were sdcc exclusive shared drops and i scored all but one that i wanted. i didnt score the sdcc only in person ones that sell for hundreds. i'm a rookie and happy with what i scored
applehead
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1858
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:48 pm

Postby sincere86a on Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:16 pm

Didn't have any real trouble with the Mondo line this year (didn't go for much), but depending on when you went it was pretty bad. Some of this was a lack of clear communication on Mondo's part or understanding on attendees part. I can't say for sure how often this happened but I saw at least 3 people wait an hour plus in line, get to the front and were told the thing they wanted had sold out or wasn't on sale that day. That's really rough (especially if you only had a badge for that day) and seems like it could be easily remedied. In years past, they would walk the line and ask what people were buying and pull them from line if it was simple. The morning Garindan dropped there were people in line for Hot Fuzz vinyl only and had to wait for a line that cleared 200 people by 9:00am.

It's Comic-Con so lines are to be expected and Mondo did a great job with theirs (all things considered), but there's definitely room for improvement.
User avatar
sincere86a
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 934
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:27 am
Location: ATX

Postby liptonsweettea on Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:39 pm

so many asshole EBers cutting in line for Mitchell Drop. you know who you are, i thought you guys better than that. next time i will take a pic and post it here. so be on you guys better look good for the camera next time, didnt take a pic this time because they look like a bunch of hobo.
User avatar
liptonsweettea
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1620
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 9:49 am

Postby HelloExactly on Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:49 pm

sincere86a wrote:Didn't have any real trouble with the Mondo line this year (didn't go for much), but depending on when you went it was pretty bad. Some of this was a lack of clear communication on Mondo's part or understanding on attendees part. I can't say for sure how often this happened but I saw at least 3 people wait an hour plus in line, get to the front and were told the thing they wanted had sold out or wasn't on sale that day. That's really rough (especially if you only had a badge for that day) and seems like it could be easily remedied. In years past, they would walk the line and ask what people were buying and pull them from line if it was simple. The morning Garindan dropped there were people in line for Hot Fuzz vinyl only and had to wait for a line that cleared 200 people by 9:00am.

It's Comic-Con so lines are to be expected and Mondo did a great job with theirs (all things considered), but there's definitely room for improvement.


Plus there's the issue of people showing up early for a release(...and rightfully so, look at Mitchell) and being told they both CAN'T wait in line and also CAN'T hang around the booth. So they end up waiting in line anyway and once they get close, just cycle the line all over again so you end up with 50 people all on "line" for one thing that isn't even on sale and it just annoys everyone. Annoys the Mondo team, annoys the customers and annoys the SDCC staff. I cycyled the line about 4 times over 2 hours and then it was capped. Lucky for me the end-of-line guy saw what had happened and had a heart. Seems like there's a much better way to go about the whole thing, Sunday with the redemption cards seems to be most headache free solution.
User avatar
HelloExactly
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1492
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:13 pm

Postby dodgers77 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:08 pm

liptonsweettea wrote:so many asshole EBers cutting in line for Mitchell Drop. you know who you are, i thought you guys better than that. next time i will take a pic and post it here. so be on you guys better look good for the camera next time, didnt take a pic this time because they look like a bunch of hobo.


They should have counted all the people who showed early that wanted the Mitchell and capped the line then. Also have a separate line for non posters would have made things a bit smoother. More line staffers would've prevented all those line cutters, instead they only had one. I hope they make better improvements next year because Mondo already going mainstream !
User avatar
dodgers77
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1315
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:32 am
Location: Westside

Postby cotis on Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:16 pm

Image
User avatar
cotis
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3114
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:03 pm
Location: USA

Postby TheBeard on Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:18 pm

Pretty sure these are the same complaints from every year.
User avatar
TheBeard
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 4496
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:47 am
Location: Vegass
Woodrocket podcast - http://itun.es/us/8lNFJ.c

Postby 35mmpaul on Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:20 pm

are you telling me that on THIS board we repeat ourselves and complain about the same things over and over again?!

pish posh i say. pish posh.
User avatar
35mmpaul
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 6615
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:40 pm
Location: NYC
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby TheBeard on Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:30 pm

35mmpaul wrote:are you telling me that on THIS board we repeat ourselves and complain about the same things over and over again?!

pish posh i say. pish posh.


DAMN BOTS
User avatar
TheBeard
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 4496
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:47 am
Location: Vegass
Woodrocket podcast - http://itun.es/us/8lNFJ.c

Postby FBDOCollector on Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:41 pm

liptonsweettea wrote:so many asshole EBers cutting in line for Mitchell Drop. you know who you are, i thought you guys better than that. next time i will take a pic and post it here. so be on you guys better look good for the camera next time, didnt take a pic this time because they look like a bunch of hobo.


Seriously. I'm still sour about the whole experience, just from that one abysmall Mitchell line. There were people that got the print that were there an hour after me. My brother and I were behind the very first Mo cap in a group of about 5 before everyone spilled over to the cafe tables. Don't get me wrong, Mo had an impossible job, but the people that were patient, polite, and waited for the line to reopen, while Mo said "I promise we will get you guys in" got completely screwed. The people that edged toward the front as the capped line moved, and basically just shoved their way into it after it "opened" were rewarded. Took a picture of about 100 people in line ahead of me, that were certainly not there at 8:45 a.m. It was frustrating enough to see 100+ exhibitor badges lined up when we got there (though expected) but for fortune to favor the shovers and cutters is just crap. I hope they go to a lottery number system, or find a better way. Love Mondo the brand and they have enormously patient people dealing with the hordes, but hate most people. /Rant.
User avatar
FBDOCollector
Art Enthusiast
 
Status: Active
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:19 pm
Location: Carlsbad, CA

Postby 35mmpaul on Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:43 pm

god. please never a lottery. went to a sneaker lottery sale one time. bout 300 people there for 60 pairs of shoes. mostly peoples friends and family. myself included.
User avatar
35mmpaul
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 6615
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:40 pm
Location: NYC
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby sincere86a on Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:50 pm

Aren't there enough lotteries at SDCC? Badges, hotels, parking, Funko, etc. No thanks.
User avatar
sincere86a
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 934
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:27 am
Location: ATX

PreviousNext

Return to Art Events



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests