SDCC 2017

Discussion of gallery shows and art exhibitions.

Postby charter on Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:16 pm

applehead wrote:Killed it on the FunKo tip here!! Gonna turn some of those into a Mitchell Garindan, woot woot!!

You cut the line?
charter
Art Expert

Postby applehead on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:52 am

charter wrote:
applehead wrote:Killed it on the FunKo tip here!! Gonna turn some of those into a Mitchell Garindan, woot woot!!

You cut the line?

???
applehead
Art Expert

Postby SteveGo on Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:11 pm

applehead wrote:
charter wrote:

You cut the line?

???

The only "tip" anyone mentioned was that it was super easy to cut in line due to the chaos.
SteveGo
Art Connoisseur

Postby applehead on Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:52 pm

I was in Denver all weekend watching my nephew. There were sdcc exclusive shared drops and i scored all but one that i wanted. i didnt score the sdcc only in person ones that sell for hundreds. i'm a rookie and happy with what i scored
applehead
Art Expert

Postby sincere86a on Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:16 pm

Didn't have any real trouble with the Mondo line this year (didn't go for much), but depending on when you went it was pretty bad. Some of this was a lack of clear communication on Mondo's part or understanding on attendees part. I can't say for sure how often this happened but I saw at least 3 people wait an hour plus in line, get to the front and were told the thing they wanted had sold out or wasn't on sale that day. That's really rough (especially if you only had a badge for that day) and seems like it could be easily remedied. In years past, they would walk the line and ask what people were buying and pull them from line if it was simple. The morning Garindan dropped there were people in line for Hot Fuzz vinyl only and had to wait for a line that cleared 200 people by 9:00am.

It's Comic-Con so lines are to be expected and Mondo did a great job with theirs (all things considered), but there's definitely room for improvement.
sincere86a
Art Connoisseur

Postby liptonsweettea on Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:39 pm

so many asshole EBers cutting in line for Mitchell Drop. you know who you are, i thought you guys better than that. next time i will take a pic and post it here. so be on you guys better look good for the camera next time, didnt take a pic this time because they look like a bunch of hobo.
liptonsweettea
Art Expert

Postby HelloExactly on Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:49 pm

sincere86a wrote:Didn't have any real trouble with the Mondo line this year (didn't go for much), but depending on when you went it was pretty bad. Some of this was a lack of clear communication on Mondo's part or understanding on attendees part. I can't say for sure how often this happened but I saw at least 3 people wait an hour plus in line, get to the front and were told the thing they wanted had sold out or wasn't on sale that day. That's really rough (especially if you only had a badge for that day) and seems like it could be easily remedied. In years past, they would walk the line and ask what people were buying and pull them from line if it was simple. The morning Garindan dropped there were people in line for Hot Fuzz vinyl only and had to wait for a line that cleared 200 people by 9:00am.

It's Comic-Con so lines are to be expected and Mondo did a great job with theirs (all things considered), but there's definitely room for improvement.

Plus there's the issue of people showing up early for a release(...and rightfully so, look at Mitchell) and being told they both CAN'T wait in line and also CAN'T hang around the booth. So they end up waiting in line anyway and once they get close, just cycle the line all over again so you end up with 50 people all on "line" for one thing that isn't even on sale and it just annoys everyone. Annoys the Mondo team, annoys the customers and annoys the SDCC staff. I cycyled the line about 4 times over 2 hours and then it was capped. Lucky for me the end-of-line guy saw what had happened and had a heart. Seems like there's a much better way to go about the whole thing, Sunday with the redemption cards seems to be most headache free solution.
HelloExactly
Art Expert

Postby dodgers77 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:08 pm

liptonsweettea wrote:so many asshole EBers cutting in line for Mitchell Drop. you know who you are, i thought you guys better than that. next time i will take a pic and post it here. so be on you guys better look good for the camera next time, didnt take a pic this time because they look like a bunch of hobo.

They should have counted all the people who showed early that wanted the Mitchell and capped the line then. Also have a separate line for non posters would have made things a bit smoother. More line staffers would've prevented all those line cutters, instead they only had one. I hope they make better improvements next year because Mondo already going mainstream !
dodgers77
Art Expert

Postby cotis on Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:16 pm

cotis
Art Expert

Postby TheBeard on Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:18 pm

Pretty sure these are the same complaints from every year.
TheBeard
Art Expert

Woodrocket podcast - http://itun.es/us/8lNFJ.c

Postby 35mmpaul on Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:20 pm

are you telling me that on THIS board we repeat ourselves and complain about the same things over and over again?!

pish posh i say. pish posh.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby TheBeard on Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:30 pm

35mmpaul wrote:are you telling me that on THIS board we repeat ourselves and complain about the same things over and over again?!

pish posh i say. pish posh.

DAMN BOTS
TheBeard
Art Expert

Woodrocket podcast - http://itun.es/us/8lNFJ.c

Postby FBDOCollector on Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:41 pm

liptonsweettea wrote:so many asshole EBers cutting in line for Mitchell Drop. you know who you are, i thought you guys better than that. next time i will take a pic and post it here. so be on you guys better look good for the camera next time, didnt take a pic this time because they look like a bunch of hobo.

Seriously. I'm still sour about the whole experience, just from that one abysmall Mitchell line. There were people that got the print that were there an hour after me. My brother and I were behind the very first Mo cap in a group of about 5 before everyone spilled over to the cafe tables. Don't get me wrong, Mo had an impossible job, but the people that were patient, polite, and waited for the line to reopen, while Mo said "I promise we will get you guys in" got completely screwed. The people that edged toward the front as the capped line moved, and basically just shoved their way into it after it "opened" were rewarded. Took a picture of about 100 people in line ahead of me, that were certainly not there at 8:45 a.m. It was frustrating enough to see 100+ exhibitor badges lined up when we got there (though expected) but for fortune to favor the shovers and cutters is just crap. I hope they go to a lottery number system, or find a better way. Love Mondo the brand and they have enormously patient people dealing with the hordes, but hate most people. /Rant.
FBDOCollector
Art Enthusiast

Postby 35mmpaul on Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:43 pm

god. please never a lottery. went to a sneaker lottery sale one time. bout 300 people there for 60 pairs of shoes. mostly peoples friends and family. myself included.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby sincere86a on Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:50 pm

Aren't there enough lotteries at SDCC? Badges, hotels, parking, Funko, etc. No thanks.
sincere86a
Art Connoisseur

PreviousNext

Return to Art Events