Bring back gigposters

General art-related discussion.
robschwager
Art Connoisseur

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:05 am

ironjaiden wrote:If only there were another website that specialized in gig posters.... they'd have a forum and a marketplace like here but it'd be about gig posters. What would you call such a place? :lol:
HAH! Yeah, a place like that would be awesome... :pint:
phishstix101
Art Expert

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:13 am

I've seen this place go through many cycles. That's just it, cyclical! My collection is about 98% gig posters with the rest being fine art. One of the best thing that has happened is the movie collecting craze. I've been fortunate enough to stay out of it. I just don't have any interest in it!
The movie collecting craze has allowed me to add to my gig poster collection with less interference at a better price with a few exeptions. The way I look at it is that there is so much interest in the Mondo series that I've been able to snatch up what I really like for a relatively good price!
The gig posters are there guys, look at the Primus series, The Black Keys, Emek's gig posters are at a relatively economical price, the emergence of Sperry and Hunter. Long live the movie posters! :P
ackirkpatrick
Art Expert

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:19 am

Newb with no movie posters in the collection here.

If you're collecting for the wrong reasons, you won't last. Only time will tell. I can say that my interactions/transactions with some of the long time members have been most memorable as they take more interest in the interaction of the transaction rather than money.

The point of this thread is almost validated by a lot of the snarky comments from newer members.
mattlew69
Art Expert

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:22 am

jamesmassey1988 wrote:Sorry for contributing to the demise of the website, without Mondo I would probably have never found this place. I kinda like it here, most of the time.
You could also probably say this about the 2008 Obama/Fairey craze, which brought me to this place. Although I had collected gig posters and art prints, way before that.

I dont mind the change. Lately, I just tend to stick to the threads that i like and talk to the people that have similar art and music tastes.

Its really hard not getting all caught up in the hub-bub, tom foolery, and general mischief that goes on, but its like a car accident, you just have to look....
sidewaysscott
Art God

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:32 am

GIGPOSTERS!
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
pj101ca
Art Expert

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:46 am

pj101ca wrote:
turnJBup wrote:Not ONE drymounting gig poster on the home page.
Just ride it out man. In a few years the movie poster scene will be dead & gone and we can look back and laugh.
mike123230 wrote:hahahah lawyers are stupid. boom. roasted.
fredo
Art God

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:51 am

I commented on two old Print Mafia posters yesterday and still no drymounting medal.
just a foil for me today, thanks
mattlew69
Art Expert

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:04 am

I blame ALL of this on Phish!!! 8)
aust449
Art Connoisseur

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:04 am

pj101ca wrote:
pj101ca wrote:
turnJBup wrote:Not ONE drymounting gig poster on the home page.
Just ride it out man. In a few years the movie poster scene will be dead & gone and we can look back and laugh.
Yep. Too many people speculatively buying into an icreasingly flooded market = bubble. Movie posters are baseball cards IMO.
danebp
Art Expert

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:05 am

suchanoo wrote:
danebp wrote:I'm new to these parts, having only started collecting at the beginning of the year. Now I have 250+ posters/prints (I haven't sold one yet) with probably 90% being gig posters. Now most of them are acquired through EB instead of eBay. I have not had a single problem with an EB transaction yet.

So perhaps I'm an anomalous case of a new gig poster collector who loves music and art, doesn't flip, thinks EB is great, and has nothing but positive things to say about the members I've interacted with, many of which have been overly generous with their time in answering my questions or giving me some collecting guidance. But in my book, EB rocks and I just tune out all the "noise" from the movie poster fray that I am not much into.
So you've bought 1 poster a day for the past 8 months?
Yeah, that would be the average. When I do things, I do them in a big way and there's a lot of time to make up for - I should have been on here years ago!
IWish
Art Expert

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:06 am

I blame ALL of this on Star Wars!!! 8)
ackirkpatrick
Art Expert

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:08 am

phishstix101 wrote:The movie collecting craze has allowed me to add to my gig poster collection with less interference at a better price with a few exeptions. The way I look at it is that there is so much interest in the Mondo series that I've been able to snatch up what I really like for a relatively good price!
+1 Picking up Moe/Gov't Mule Emek @ Red Rocks for $60? Emek Ben Harper going for $115!!!!
phishstix101
Art Expert

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:10 am

ackirkpatrick wrote:
phishstix101 wrote:The movie collecting craze has allowed me to add to my gig poster collection with less interference at a better price with a few exeptions. The way I look at it is that there is so much interest in the Mondo series that I've been able to snatch up what I really like for a relatively good price!
+1 Picking up Moe/Gov't Mule Emek @ Red Rocks for $60? Emek Ben Harper going for $115!!!!
That's exactly what I'm talking about! :clap: :clap: :clap:
electrachrome
Site Admin

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:55 am

ironjaiden wrote:If only there were another website that specialized in gig posters.... they'd have a forum and a marketplace like here but it'd be about gig posters. What would you call such a place? :lol:
FB kinda killed GP.

there are still a core of GP lovers here and I'm glad to see whenever one of us scores something rare and/or interesting thats a bit outside the mainstream.

the movie & pop culture stuff allows the graphic artists to keep food on the table so I'm not opposed to it at all.
as for the the folks this genera has attracted to the site, there are some great ones and a few duds. The good far outweigh the bad. There are several who have added positively to the site and helped foster and control their own communities under the greater umbrella of EB. to them I raise a pint. :pint: