jamesgunter wrote:
sabotage wrote:The demise of EB=
Ryan1969 was banned
Mr. Brainwash
LOST
MondoTees
no truer words have ever been spoken
FIXED!
hirschy75 wrote:And twilight you can kiss my ass.
Fattyramone
Art Expert

Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:36 am

Starting to appear like im listening in on a remeniscing session at an old peoples home ,

"i remember when this was all fields and you didnt have to lock the doors when you went out..... , bloody kids nowerdays , nurse wheres my enema?"
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:39 am

jamesgunter wrote:see... i dont even care about flipping... it makes the world go round and is done in every market around the globe...

my thing is.. it really was a great place before the mondo/movie poster craze. with that came a new breed of people.

2007/2008 were great years
Nor do I, but you don't have to be a dip-fudge braggart about it IMHO... honestly, flipping paper doesn't exactly require a MA in Economics. Guess what I'm saying is that EB used to be (when I originally joined in '08) about the art and the comradery that goes with appreciating a release/artist and now it seems to be dominated by sales threads by members that don't even have the grace to donate to the site and seem to be selling the same fudge i.e. last weeks releases. I still remember when I joined, before I even posted, laughing my ass off at some of the release threads... good times :lol:
Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!
> THC X 9 <
jamesgunter
Art Expert

Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:41 am

i agree

man, half the threads i start these days are just bullshit threads that i think are funny... because i like this place and i want people to laugh (even if its at me) instead of the drymounting arguing and bitching....

doesnt everyone get enough of that in real life
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:45 am

Agreed. That's why I stay out of the Mondo threads and stay the drymount away from the MBW threads (but for the occasional jab) :lol:
Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!
> THC X 9 <
jamesgunter
Art Expert

Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:47 am

never in my life have i ever clicked on the mondo link... i usually dont click on a thread after page 3 either unless its a thread for a specific poster
shoeless
Art Expert

Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:48 am

jamesgunter wrote:never in my life have i ever clicked on the mondo link... i usually dont click on a thread after page 3 either unless its a thread for a specific poster
or boobs
dearmrecho
Art Expert

Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:56 am

jamesgunter wrote: my thing is.. it really was a great place before the mondo/movie poster craze. with that came a new breed of people.
So we brought down the neighbourhood when we moved in did we? :lol:
jamesgunter
Art Expert

Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:02 am

not calling out any one person really...
ChefFerrari
Art Expert

Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:03 am

dearmrecho wrote:
jamesgunter wrote: my thing is.. it really was a great place before the mondo/movie poster craze. with that came a new breed of people.
So we brought down the neighbourhood when we moved in did we? :lol:
There have been more cases of people getting ripped off since the whole mondo thing and all the newbs came here

Some of us still carry on the Gigposter flag
bisondice
Art Expert

Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:04 am

fighting mondo is like yelling at the ocean
ErocAfellar wrote:Once you start buying art for the image and not the perceived value, it becomes more fun and less stressful.
Bickel

Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:08 am

Gig prints and movie posters have the exact same problems:

douchebag collectors
douchebag artists
douchebag distributors
shitty art
shitty subjects and venues
forgeries, bootlegs, and unlicensed work
hypocrites bitching about noobs in one breath and making profits off of them the next
noobs coming in and asking a hundred stupid questions and breaking the rules when there's a pinned thread with all of the rules written in simple english

I mean, I don't get the "screw the movie print" stuff. If you've made money from them, you have no right to bitch, and if you don't buy any of it, the people who collect them likely won't cross paths with you very often (I don't go into gig print threads at all, and I don't see the sense in going into a thread and bitching about fudge you hate when your time is better used on collecting what you love...just because it's the internet, doesn't mean you've got to jam your finger in the eye of everyone who you disagree with). On that note, given how long movie posters have been around (giclees or not), there's no reason for movie prints and gig prints to not be able to exist on the same block without each of them having to go over to the others yard and piss on the flowers.

For drymounts sake, it's collectible advertising.
jamesgunter
Art Expert

Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:16 am

i disagree with that wholeheartedly

...except for the forgery part
titanm3
Art Connoisseur

Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:39 am

Is it hurting the art or the artists? Doesn't seem so. Some deserving guys have exploded because of it and that's great. Also means more and better paying gigs for these guys. I think it's pretty exciting that art and design are being loved and appreciated by so much more people now.

WIth gig posters, even before the movie poster craze, there were still 2 sides. The more punk rock stuff, and the dmb phish stuff. I have no interest in the latter, and have a hard time understanding how self respecting adults can buy a rainbow foil print that looks like it was a Lisa frank binder, but who gives a fudge. I don't bother with those threads, and occasionally in the mixed threads I'll see a print for a band I hate that is pretty amazing.

People have always been flipping, and flipping hard here. Forgetting his name, kristian maybe, was super well regarded before he went and burned everyone, and he flipped fudge like crazy. More people may be getting ripped off now, but there are way more members too.

It's all the monetary talk that bugs me the most, and I do agree that there used to be better discussions on the actual art. That's what I would like to see more of.
Bickel

Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:48 am

jamesgunter wrote:i disagree with that wholeheartedly

...except for the forgery part
You disagree? I don't get that...I wasn't saying all gig or movie prints are like that, I was just saying they have the same problems. On the flip side, they have many of the same good qualities, like great artists, great fans, honest collectors, noobs who learn the right way, etc. I wasn't making a blanket generalization that it all sucks, just that the worst of either type of print isn't limited to just gig prints or just movie prints. It's a shared problem, which is what makes it so easy for the people who make one scene suck have such an easy time making everything suck.