Am I naive in my collecting?

General art-related discussion.

Postby bikewrecked on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:11 pm

I don't really buy posters in order to trade them. Seems like this all artificially drymounts up the whole market.

I have sold/traded posters before. However in most cases I just realized I didn't really like the poster as much as I thought or it was the only way to get a poster I really wanted.

But I keep seeing people talk about buying Mr. Brainwash to fund their other posters or people +1ing and jamming em on Ebay or for trade immediately.

BTW, not an ExpressoBeans noob despite my account info.
User avatar
bikewrecked
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 12:12 pm

Postby golobulus on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:21 pm

What was your previous username?
User avatar
golobulus
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1957
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:47 pm
Location: Queen Creek, AZ

Postby bsutter11 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:23 pm

bikewrecked wrote:I don't really buy posters in order to trade them. Seems like this all artificially drymounts up the whole market.

I have sold/traded posters before. However in most cases I just realized I didn't really like the poster as much as I thought or it was the only way to get a poster I really wanted.

But I keep seeing people talk about buying Mr. Brainwash to fund their other posters or people +1ing and jamming em on Ebay or for trade immediately.

BTW, not an ExpressoBeans noob despite my account info.

I dont buy to trade but if I'm sitting at the computer with nothing else to do, and a hot print drops i will buy it and use it for trade. I don't do the whole eBay thing for prints. I know it might piss people off that I try to trade a print I didn't really want in the first place, but at least I'm not buying these things to flip and make profit..I do it just to get prints that I really want. Is that asshole-ish of me?
User avatar
bsutter11
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:34 pm

Postby mobius006 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:32 pm

bsutter11 wrote:
bikewrecked wrote:I don't really buy posters in order to trade them. Seems like this all artificially drymounts up the whole market.

I have sold/traded posters before. However in most cases I just realized I didn't really like the poster as much as I thought or it was the only way to get a poster I really wanted.

But I keep seeing people talk about buying Mr. Brainwash to fund their other posters or people +1ing and jamming em on Ebay or for trade immediately.

BTW, not an ExpressoBeans noob despite my account info.

I dont buy to trade but if I'm sitting at the computer with nothing else to do, and a hot print drops i will buy it and use it for trade. I don't do the whole eBay thing for prints. I know it might piss people off that I try to trade a print I didn't really want in the first place, but at least I'm not buying these things to flip and make profit..I do it just to get prints that I really want. Is that asshole-ish of me?

ejg904 wrote:
bsutter11 wrote:Wow, the absolute worst print so far in my opinion. Definitely passing on this one.

10 min later...
bsutter11 wrote:I'm sitting at the computer so might as well grab it. Probably use it for trade in the future.


Codeblue wrote:Another valuable new member!
User avatar
mobius006
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 12620
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:16 pm
Location: LA
Liberal Democratic - Print Conservative: Pro Government Regulations, Anti Reprints and Timed Editions.

Postby DarthHippie on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:32 pm

bsutter11 wrote:I dont buy to trade but if I'm sitting at the computer with nothing else to do, and a hot print drops i will buy it and use it for trade.


Beautiful.


There are plenty of people who only buy what they like. I do, but buy more stuff than I could ever hope to frame. I'm just too lazy to sell anything.
User avatar
DarthHippie
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1430
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:51 pm
Image

Postby Awesome on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:35 pm

It's your money, do whatever you want to do but when it comes to limited edition hobby's other people get hostile when others hoard for some magical reason.
User avatar
Awesome
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1881
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:16 am

Postby mobius006 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:44 pm

Awesome wrote:It's your money, do whatever you want to do but when it comes to limited edition hobby's other people get hostile when others hoard for some magical reason.

Image
User avatar
mobius006
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 12620
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:16 pm
Location: LA
Liberal Democratic - Print Conservative: Pro Government Regulations, Anti Reprints and Timed Editions.

Postby bsutter11 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:45 pm

mobius006 wrote:
bsutter11 wrote:
bikewrecked wrote:I don't really buy posters in order to trade them. Seems like this all artificially drymounts up the whole market.

I have sold/traded posters before. However in most cases I just realized I didn't really like the poster as much as I thought or it was the only way to get a poster I really wanted.

But I keep seeing people talk about buying Mr. Brainwash to fund their other posters or people +1ing and jamming em on Ebay or for trade immediately.

BTW, not an ExpressoBeans noob despite my account info.

I dont buy to trade but if I'm sitting at the computer with nothing else to do, and a hot print drops i will buy it and use it for trade. I don't do the whole eBay thing for prints. I know it might piss people off that I try to trade a print I didn't really want in the first place, but at least I'm not buying these things to flip and make profit..I do it just to get prints that I really want. Is that asshole-ish of me?

ejg904 wrote:
bsutter11 wrote:Wow, the absolute worst print so far in my opinion. Definitely passing on this one.

10 min later...
bsutter11 wrote:I'm sitting at the computer so might as well grab it. Probably use it for trade in the future.


Codeblue wrote:Another valuable new member!

Okay, that just states exactly what i just said. If I'm sitting there, I will most likely grab it even if I don't like it. I'm sorry, sue me.
User avatar
bsutter11
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:34 pm

Postby bsutter11 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:46 pm

Awesome wrote:It's your money, do whatever you want to do but when it comes to limited edition hobby's other people get hostile when others hoard for some magical reason.

Yes and I can understand that, but I'm not buying these To make a profit. And by the way I can count on one hand how many times I've bought a print i planned on trading. Hell, a lot of the prints I buy my brother likes and I sell them to him at cost.
Last edited by bsutter11 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
bsutter11
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:34 pm

Postby opence on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:46 pm

DarthHippie wrote: I'm just too lazy to sell anything.


It does take a lot of effort doesnt it.
User avatar
opence
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1332
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:28 pm
Harry Dunn wrote:OK gang, you know the rules, no humping, no licking, no sniffing hineys.
Image

Postby ironjaiden on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:51 pm

bsutter11 wrote:I dont buy to trade... i will buy it and use it for trade.


Image
User avatar
ironjaiden
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 7980
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:57 pm
Location: Hollarado

Postby PrintNoob87 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:53 pm

ironjaiden wrote:
bsutter11 wrote:I dont buy to trade... i will buy it and use it for trade.


Image

:rolling:
User avatar
PrintNoob87
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 8839
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:55 pm
Location: Milwaukee

Postby mobius006 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:55 pm

Thanks to the power of the internet I get that joke now ! :notworthy:
User avatar
mobius006
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 12620
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:16 pm
Location: LA
Liberal Democratic - Print Conservative: Pro Government Regulations, Anti Reprints and Timed Editions.

Postby bsutter11 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:55 pm

ironjaiden wrote:
bsutter11 wrote:I dont buy to trade... i will buy it and use it for trade.


Image

Let me state this in the most obvious fashion for you all. I don't intentionally buy prints to trade them. If I happen to be on the Internet at a time when a popular print drops, and I don't like it, I will buy it and trade it. God damn...is it that hard to understand? I know many of you don't like it that I do this, but I honestly don't care. There's probably Hundreds of other users on here that do this and just don't say anything, at least I'm honest about it
User avatar
bsutter11
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:34 pm

Postby maden on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:57 pm

Sounds intentional to me.
User avatar
maden
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 8253
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:52 pm
Location: Del Boca Vista
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around

Image

Next

Return to Art Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 35mmpaul, HairyHood, Jasper73, kansasbbq, PhishTaylorNYE, thenerdinator and 10 guests