The Tom Whalen & Dave Perillo Thread of Autumn Philly Toons

General art-related discussion.
Celsius
Flipper

Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:31 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Kramerica wrote:Why no eclipse?
It's a Mondo jawn so it gets printed at D&L. Cyclops is just the license holder in this case.
P.S. Good to see another "actual" variant, even if it's subtle. Thought only BNG was making real variants these days.
Nah. Cyclops X Mondo pieces can be printed in-house at Eclipse as well. With that said, I think 90% of the prints in this line will be printed at D&L Screenprinting.
"Beautiful white wings for you. For the world? Death and destruction." - Spoiler Character (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)

https://plushart.club
Kramerica
Art Freak

Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:46 pm

Celsius wrote:
Codeblue wrote:
Kramerica wrote:Why no eclipse?
It's a Mondo jawn so it gets printed at D&L. Cyclops is just the license holder in this case.
P.S. Good to see another "actual" variant, even if it's subtle. Thought only BNG was making real variants these days.
Nah. Cyclops X Mondo pieces can be printed in-house at Eclipse as well. With that said, I think 90% of the prints in this line will be printed at D&L Screenprinting.
That's a shame. There's a very clear increase in the quality of the prints.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:02 pm

So it goes...
Ken
Art Expert

Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:12 pm

Super stoked to bring Dave and Tom to San Francisco this week for their debut two person show with SPOKE!

Here's a look at our press release for the show, as well as some teaser images!

Super Science Fair
A Pop Culture Experiment
by Tom Whalen and Dave Perillo
11 / 3 / 1 6 - 11 / 2 6 / 1 6

Spoke SF is pleased to present Super Science Fair - A Pop Culture Experiment by Tom Whalen and Dave Perillo. Inspired by sci-fi universes from Godzilla to Willy Wonka, Whalen and Perillo have reimagined pop culture staples in their bright, illustrative vector styles. Each nostalgically modern, limited-edition print puts a playful spin on classic favorites.

Both Tom Whalen and Dave Perillo are heavily influenced by their backgrounds in design and typography as well as a mutual love for all things sci-fi and super hero related. Each artists’ work explores the science behind their favorite films and characters from Aliens to Xenomorphs with concise and dynamic compositions.

One part mid-century advertisements, a hand full of cult classics and spiced with pop culture inspirations, Whalen and Perillo have brewed up their version of a science fair. New infographic pieces detailing planets from galaxies far, far, away, Pee Wee’s Breakfast Machine, and a spec sheet for the U.S.S. Sulaco will guide you on this science experiment.

Dave Perillo cites Mary Blair, Walt Disney, Jim Henson and Charles Schultz among his key influences. For Super Science Perillo has created a series of public service announcements, informational pamphlets and guides. Intergalactic communications, how to grow a dinosaur, and time travel through the ages each seamlessly blends sci-fi heroes with a nod to advertising of the 50’s and 60’s.

Tom Whalen lists comic book artists and illustrators such as Todd McFarlane, Steve Ditko, Jack Kirby and Saul Bass as vital inspiration from an early age. Whalen’s latest work spins Reed Richards (Fantastic Four) and Dr. Bowman (2001: A Space Odyssey) as pulp magazine covers. A complete guide to extraordinary beasts details the origin and first sightings for gremlins, wampas and more.

Please join us for Super Science Fair, opening Thursday, November 3rd, with an opening night reception from 6pm-10pm. The exhibition will be on view through Saturday, November 26th. For more information, additional images, or exclusive content, please email us at SF@spoke-art.com

WHAT :
Super Science Fair
A Pop Culture Experiment by Tom Whalen and Dave Perillo

WHEN :
Opening night reception : Thursday, November 3rd, 2016 (6-10pm)
On view: November 3rd - 26th, 2016

WHERE :
Spoke Art - 816 Sutter St. San Francisco CA 94109

ABOUT THE GALLERY

Spoke Art is an art space specializing in new contemporary painting, sculpture and illustration located in San Francisco’s Lower Nob Hill neighborhood. Our rotating monthly exhibits feature a wide variety of solo and group shows, many of which feature our international roster of represented artists.

ABOUT THE ARTISTS

Tom Whalen is a accomplished designer and illustrator from Pennsylvania. His client list includes Disney, Marvel, The Beatles and many others. He fuses his passions for drawing, design and typography into his distinctive poster designs.

Dave Perillo is a prolific illustrator from Pennsylvania. Pulling inspiration from iconic nostalgic culture, such as 1950’s Sci-Fi Movies, Hanna Barbera and Alfred Hitchcock, Perillo has created his unique practice of illustration and design.

Ken
Art Expert

Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:45 pm

Sneak peek at some of the Tom Whalen OGs which we're including FOR FREE to collectors who pick up complete sets of prints from the new Super Science Fair art show before doors open on Thursday.

Some of Dave and Tom's best work this year, pick up a complete set in advance and you'll get an OG sketch, enamel pin and one print for free!

Want to learn more? Shoot us an email at SF@spoke-art.com!
Ken
Art Expert

Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:57 pm

The Tom Whalen and Dave Perillo show is now available online!

Pick up a print today and receive a complimentary enamel pin (pictured) with every purchase while supplies last!

Shop here:
http://spoke-art.com/collections/super-science-fair
ethnosax
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:38 pm

Here's a short video interview with Tom Whalen during Mondocon last month: https://www.youtube.com/embed/h4c2Aynay8U?rel=0
cotis
Art Expert

Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:21 pm

ethnosax wrote:Here's a short video interview with Tom Whalen during Mondocon last month: https://www.youtube.com/embed/h4c2Aynay8U?rel=0
New York Comic Con, not MondoCon.
ethnosax
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:02 pm

cotis wrote:
ethnosax wrote:Here's a short video interview with Tom Whalen during Mondocon last month: https://www.youtube.com/embed/h4c2Aynay8U?rel=0
New York Comic Con, not MondoCon.
Ah yes, thanks!
BavarianErin
Art Expert

Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:27 pm

Jeremy and I received our prints from the Science Fair show yesterday and they were a joy to unpack.

If anyone is looking for a gift for a classic lit fan, I highly recommend Tom's Nautilus print. It's a wonder to behold. The metallic ink is beautiful and I'll be darned if you can't see every rivet in the ship! So pretty!
ImageImage
starkdesign
Art Expert

Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:22 am

That Moana! :shock:
Image New Zelda collection grid, but still need more; gotta keep adding to my collection! Image
starkdesign
Art Expert

Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:16 pm

TURTLESSSSSS

Image New Zelda collection grid, but still need more; gotta keep adding to my collection! Image
starkdesign
Art Expert

Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:18 pm

Oh yeah, here is that Moana...

DuoSonic
Art Expert

Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:45 pm

Nice!
noeldaddy
Art Expert

Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:04 pm

A lot of motion in that Moana, something a little too rare in prints these days. Well done!
ImageImage