the hongkongcavaliers portfolio

General art-related discussion.
golobulus
Art Expert

Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:25 pm

Welcome back Jeff! Looking forward to seeing your completed Blade Runners!
rubberneck
Art God

Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:26 pm

golobulus wrote:Welcome back Jeff! Looking forward to seeing your completed Blade Runners!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
fredo
Art God

Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:53 pm

Codeblue wrote:Story time!
#choeshow
just a foil for me today, thanks
SPAC04
Art Expert

Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:57 pm

jlabbate wrote:welcome back! :clap:
hongkongcavaliers
Art Expert

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:30 pm

Some of you have asked if I've done any artwork for the last few years-- other than a couple of sports pieces for a friend or two, I've mostly just worked on art that I wanted to experiment with when I needed to keep myself occupied (which was a lot of time when you don't have cable, internet or even a TV). None of this has seen the light of day and I don't really have anybody that gives a damn, so any feedback would be appreciated.

One I worked on about 2 years ago was the film that altered my life, Apocalypse Now. I saw it the summer between 6th and 7th grade; I was a child before, then realizing the horrors of what war is truly like, lost my innocence. I still watch it every few years and end up in a funk that might take me a week to dig out of.

This is a 1:2 scale test print, on some crappy coated paper-- so there are minor reflections that might leave a gray circular haze in parts... Lots of Easter Eggs, some which never will be found.

The basic layout is a composite of images and characters from the film, plus references from Conrad, Coppola, Wagner, etc -- all held together by a Vietnamese Topographic Map. I've translated quite a bit into Vietnamese.

ImageImageImage
hongkongcavaliers
Art Expert

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:58 pm

Here's a one I call "A Self Portrait of Francis Dolarhyde (after William Blake)". It's how Dolarhyde (from Michael Mann's "Manhunter") actually sees himself, as the Red Dragon from Blake's painting, "The Great Red Dragon and the Woman Clothed with the Sun". If you compare both pieces, you'll see the similarities. Not for everyone, I'd guess, but fun to work on. It will never make it into a frame, though. Unless I wanted to scare away annoying houseguests. No test print on this one, just the digital.

Loaded with a lot of the textures from the film, from the all the moon references, broken glass, to Dolarhyde "becoming" the Red Dragon after being shot... done in an inkblot style that creates a symmetrical mirror image down the middle axis.

Here's Blake's:

Here's mine:

And some detail of the depth:

ImageImageImage
Gandhi
Art Connoisseur

Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:26 am

That Apocalypse Now looks fantastic!
hongkongcavaliers
Art Expert

Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:37 am

I always loved Avedon's photo of Marilyn Monroe channeling Theda Bara from Cleopatra(1917). It's the sexiest photo of Marilyn ever, in my eyes. Theda Bara was a sexpot for her time, but in almost anyone living's opinion, not at all attractive. I've really studied the stone lithos and tried to create something based on Avedon's photo of Marilyn-- but in the stone litho style of the early Silent Era.

Not 100% done, not 100% happy with it, but it's a start...

Here's the original Theda Bara one sheet:

And frumpy Theda wearing the Slave Leia metal wire boob cup thingees:

Here's my UK Quad Stone Litho:

My next project is to do a variant of Marilyn staring in her own version of Cleopatra from 1958, in the style that 1958 audiences would expect out of a poster.
ImageImageImage
actorinthisplay
Art Expert

Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:52 am

Looks great man! Welcome back!
hongkongcavaliers
Art Expert

Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:17 am

There's not enough Lee Marvin art out there... My favorite is Point Blank. Perfect Tough Guy film. Lee is the ultimate baddass as "Walker", a ticking timebomb of violence. Lee pistol whips anybody in his way with his .44 Magnum 4" barrel, which is sooooo much cooler than the Dirty Harry revolver that came out 4 years later. He's angry and he's deadly.

Here's the trailer if you've never seen (or even heard of the movie):
Here's one that I'd love to see screenprinted onto foil or a giclee on aluminum panel. The metal coming through the white would set off the Pop Art design.

The detail shows the mini-targets that make up the image -- unfortunately, the jpeg looks a little noisy when the resolution is reduced.

ImageImageImage
hongkongcavaliers
Art Expert

Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:08 am

The Indiana Jones Trilogy is almost finished, too.

Probably 80% done on Temple of Doom and 95% done on The Last Crusade. The hardest thing is trying to get the trilogy cohesive enough that it doesn't look like they were done over the span of years. Oddly, my favorite print of the three is ToD, which I always thought was the inferior film-- but after watching it a couple times in a row last year, I have so much more appreciation for it.

ImageImageImage
hongkongcavaliers
Art Expert

Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:14 am

Here's a mockup of The African Queen, also done in a stone litho style-- my idea was to do a poster that would have been done in the time period that the film takes place in, WWI.

It's a UK Quad-- I was hoping to do it as a screenprint, or if at all possible, an actual stone litho...

ImageImageImage
silo
Art Connoisseur

Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:43 am

Oh my. Your Apocalypse Now piece is fantastic.
Loobaz
Art Connoisseur

Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:51 am

And the Indy Trilogy is amazing.
hongkongcavaliers
Art Expert

Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:18 pm

Gandhi wrote:That Apocalypse Now looks fantastic!
silo wrote:Oh my. Your Apocalypse Now piece is fantastic.
I haven't had any feedback in years. Thanks, guys, it means a lot to hear that.

I'm going to try to do a proper test print on cold press watercolor paper in the next few days-- not the full size of 36x18, but close at 32x16. Then I'll take some proper images of the detail.

Here's my favorite section-- you can see a lot of the Easter Eggs and Topographic details:

ImageImageImage