Art Freak

Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:37 pm

I kept going back and forth. I couldn't resist. +1
Same fudge, different drop.
mkuborn
Art Expert

Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:14 pm

Hello,

It's Steve Powers, from Studio Gangster and ICY Signs, bringing you the first edition of The Mondane Mourning Newsletter (title subject to change). I'm writing you from the center of our 5500 sq. ft sign shop in downtown Brooklyn where we are producing work for my first solo show in New York in 7 years at the Joshua Liner Gallery (http://joshualinergallery.com/). I would've waited longer to have a show, I saw no point in showing with a gallery that wasn't Deitch Projects, but Josh has been working and selling hard, and I decided his gallery is a good place for me to continue my story.

The story is I'm drawing my life daily. Some of the drawing ends up as murals, some as metaltations, some as the large paintings that are my focus now, but it all starts with me and a ballpoint pen rambling as writing. I strive for Verity and Sincerity, it's the most I can do. It's the least you should ask of your local artist.

At the sign shop, we have had the good fortune to have working with us for the last 2 weeks the legendary Justin Green http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Green_(cartoonist) Justin and I have collaborated for the last 10 years on a variety of sign painting projects. He's been a mentor to me and an inspiration to a whole new generation of sign painters that embrace his ethic of "bashed out" excellence. I lured him out of his Cincinnati atelier with the promise that I wouldn't play any rap music (I did play him "Suicidal Thoughts" by Biggie as he is staying a block from Biggies old apartment on St. James). I also promised I wouldn't make him do any "jewelry work" (small lettering). Of course, that is virtually all he's painting.

We've managed to (almost) finish 4 large paintings that strike a balance between speed and technique. The themes that are emerging in the works are Love, Marriage, Jokes about death, Success, Failure, Drinking, Eating, Art and work, Bob Dylan, Demon Wrestling, and Sex (just a little, like 5 minutes out of a a day). I keep saying to everybody in the shop, "These are the paintings that will burnish my reputation as a significant painter." I'm not joking, I'm swinging for the fence. In all the research I've done, Every artist that made important work started by thinking, "I'm going to make important work." Some are bragging, some are praying, some are fooling, and maybe some are doing all three at once. I'll stick to praying, maybe with some bragging and fooling to balance it out.

For me, work is prayer, when I paint it's with reverence and the solemn effort to fulfill my potential as an artist and a human. ADORE is a word that sums up what I do on a daily basis. As we are working on the large paintings, Mike, Mike, Aindriais, and Sam have been painting "ADORE" signs, about 200 at last count. in addition to what I do, ADORE is the common denominator in every great painting ever made.

So, if you are keeping track, that is 5 people painting in the shop with me, so we are generating a huge amount of work. In spite of the output, Justin maintains his worry that we are far behind. So in his honor, we painted a new RUNNING LATE sign and are making a print from the image. We are making three editions of this: One is 12"x 12" in a signed and numbered edition of 100 for $150, the other two are 24"x 24" signed and numbered editions of 50 each, price TBD.

So in closing, we'd like to offer you the opportunity to buy a print from the first edition before we offer it to the masses. The 12"x12" size offers great variety for placement in your home, say right by the front door. It's printed on 335 gram Coventry Rag paper, signed and numbered. it will be wrapped in tissue and craft paper, tubed and shipped with the appropriate tariff code depending on your location. 2 per household limit, first come first served. To order, send an email to info@firstandfifteenth.net, and we'll send a paypal invoice.

Thank you,

Steve

saL
Art Expert

Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:51 pm

^ not sure if it's ok to share the info intended for his mailing list subscribers?!...
misterx
Art Expert

Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:35 pm

ESPO wont mind...encourages sales, which seems to be driving him at the mo.
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.
mkuborn
Art Expert

Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:25 pm

So yea, this opens tomorrow and is super awesome!
http://joshualinergallery.com/exhibitio ... er_6_2012/

Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:12 pm

Finally there's art for people who like wearing t-shirts with witty/funny/ironic/catchy sayings.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
mrkyuss
Art God

Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:47 pm

imwithstupidup.jpg
President of the DALeast MAN LOVE club.
President of the Late Night Crew (LNC).
bisondice
Art Expert

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:04 am

:lol:
ErocAfellar wrote:Once you start buying art for the image and not the perceived value, it becomes more fun and less stressful.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:46 am

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
420itous
Art Enthusiast

Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:05 am

Codeblue wrote:Finally there's art for people who like wearing t-shirts with witty/funny/ironic/catchy sayings.
Wow, yea, forest for the trees. So because he paints his own prose, which he is as much a poet as a sign painter, you are discounting his art because it has catchy phrases!? I dont see you regularly shitting in Eine threads and he is a poor man's Steve Powers so what's with the ax to grind?
gonzo303
Art Freak

Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:09 am

I'm pretty sure what blue was trying to do was get a rise out of someone. Looks like it worked.

Silly me but I am a fan of almost all ESPO prints so far.
Same fudge, different drop.
KennyRE317
Art Expert

Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:29 am

gonzo303 wrote:I'm pretty sure what blue was trying to do was get a rise out of someone. Looks like it worked.

Silly me but I am a fan of almost all ESPO prints so far.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:07 pm

New prints up in the store.

EVERYTHING IS fudge 24" CORAL
$350.00

EVERYTHING IS fudge 12" BLACK
$200.00
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
starkweather
Art Enthusiast

Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:15 pm

24"

12"