Mondo/Ebay 2nd Market Fallout??

General art-related discussion.
BambooLounge
Art Connoisseur

Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:25 pm

maden wrote:
BambooLounge wrote:I have an ever growing DVD/Blu-ray collecting hobby to keep me busy anyhow.
Talk about investing in a dieing hobby.
I'm not investing in anything. I am purchasing. I love films and I want to watch them in the best quality possible. Right now, I am not seeing streaming HD that is the same quality as high definition physical media. And, I'm not that into piracy any more than I am sure you are into bootleg Moss prints. I enjoy having a library of films at my immediate disposal without needing a high speed internet connection or being at the mercy of those who decide what is worthy of streaming on Netflix, Hulu, or HBO Go, etc. Just like people collect prints beyond their wall space b/c they enjoy looking through their portfolio or flat file, I enjoy being able to walk over to my shelving unit and picking out a film to watch.

As for the responses to my comic books mention. I understand that there was an over supply and Golden and Silver Age comic book values are staying strong bc of their scarcity. But, comic books have been around for decades and they have a much deeper pool of collectors driving the demand. I think prints or at least movie prints are akin to baseball cards in the sense that initially all those rare parallel cards that were numbered would go for insane prices and while now maybe a hot RC card will fetch a ton, things have tended to level off. I can buy cards with pieces of jersey in them for far cheaper than ever before.

I think movie print collecting is a niche collecting market, unlike comic books, that is going semi-mainstream (like comics/cards did in the 90s) due to the exposure Mondo is getting, which is driving increased demand. I think it will taper off and while the result of that may not mean rock bottom prices for coveted SW or The Thing prints, it will likely mean things going back to how they were before the bubble (or at least as I have heard people describe it considering I got into this hobby only recently) where Mondo drops were low drama and people generally seemed to be able to purchase what they wanted w/o dealing with hordes of flippers.

Maybe I'm completely off base and this is just the beginning and the stuff we buy now will be viewed the same as Action Comics #1 in 50 years
harrykeogh
Art Expert

Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:29 pm

BambooLounge wrote:Maybe I'm completely off base.
I believe you are. Movie poster collecting is quite mainstream and healthy. This is just an offshoot of the gig poster/movie poster business.
fredo
Art God

Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:34 pm

How has this not devolved into a near-NSFW picture gallery yet?
just a foil for me today, thanks
Cragars
Art Expert

Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:36 pm

fredo wrote:How has this not devolved into a near-NSFW picture gallery yet?
*callsClem*
harrykeogh
Art Expert

Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:38 pm

I think because we have remained pretty civil in the discussion. Although I could do with looking at some boobs.
BambooLounge
Art Connoisseur

Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:40 pm

harrykeogh wrote:
BambooLounge wrote:Maybe I'm completely off base.
I believe you are. Movie poster collecting is quite mainstream and healthy. This is just an offshoot of the gig poster/movie poster business.

Would you say then that classic/vintage film posters that go for thousands of dollars are analogous to Golden/Silver Age comic books? In which case, what would these new move posters/prints be?

Look, I love buying prints like everyone else here and I am not trying to put down this hobby or any other. But, I think it is a fair assessment that print collecting is receiving unprecedented media coverage right now and while Mondo is still king of the hill, and the print runs of individual prints are indeed limited, it seems as if more and more outlets are popping up to sell limited run prints and more and more flippers are joining the fray. I think it is a little naive to think this is not currently a bubble situation or at least for those investing in each Mondo release to think the resale value will always remain this high.

Sorry for lack of boobage.
Cragars
Art Expert

Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:41 pm

harrykeogh wrote:
I think because we have remained pretty civil in the discussion. Although I could do with looking at some boobs.
Ask-a and yee shall receive-a

boatingbenny
Art Expert

Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:43 pm

Codeblue wrote:P.S. I :heart: when noobs do "market analysis".
boatingbenny
Art Expert

Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:44 pm

sixstringer wrote:My question is how long Stout, Moss, Ansin, Whalen can keep it up??? Eventually it will get old and prices will come down no? I'm kinda seeing that right now with guys like Keyes and Ryden...and surely there are others.
emek
harrykeogh
Art Expert

Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:46 pm

BambooLounge wrote:it seems as if more and more outlets are popping up to sell limited run prints and more and more flippers are joining the fray. I think it is a little naive to think this is not currently a bubble situation or at least for those investing in each Mondo release to think the resale value will always remain this high.
Here is an area I agree with you on. Seems a lot of new outlets soming about to take advantage of the situation. Mondo has become a huge brand though. I have to go cook. Can't elaborate.
BambooLounge wrote:Sorry for lack of boobage.
Give me boobs.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:46 pm

pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
maden
Art Expert

Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:00 pm

BambooLounge wrote:And, I'm not that into piracy any more than I am sure you are into bootleg Moss prints.
That is a bad comparison
BambooLounge wrote:Just like people collect prints beyond their wall space b/c they enjoy looking through their portfolio or flat file, I enjoy being able to walk over to my shelving unit and picking out a film to watch.
I can respect that. Sometimes I crack open my HTPC and just gaze at the hard drives.
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around

harrykeogh
Art Expert

Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:03 pm

Cragars wrote:
harrykeogh wrote:
Ask-a and yee shall receive-a

Is that a dooled ass crack? What is that? :lol:
Cragars
Art Expert

Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:07 pm

harrykeogh
Art Expert

Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:09 pm

Funny thing is, I was thinking South Park when I first saw it.