Spoke Art x the Castro Theatre

General art-related discussion.
Ken
Art Expert

Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:50 pm

With the insanity that was last week (Matt Dye's epic Dead Rockstars show at our Oakland pop up, Nimit Malavia's stunning solo at our SF gallery and our first Castro event) I've finally had a chance to take a breather and get up on the forum to make our official Castro Theatre partnership announcement to the EB community. More info below!

As of last week, Spoke Art is proud to announce our official partnership with San Francisco's acclaimed Castro Theatre. The Castro is a registered historic landmark, originally built in 1922, this is one of the country's last remaining true "movie palaces." Originally housing vaudeville acts, the Castro has been lovingly maintained since its creation (it's actually still owned by the same family who built it!) and features not just beautiful hand carved stone, frescoes and murals, but also a fully functional Mighty Wurlitzer organ which is played live before screenings. In other words, this ain't no cookie cutter franchise, but the real deal, a tribute to what movie going used to be, an experience.

We hope to honor the theatre's passion for quality independent, cult, classic and foreign films with top notch screen prints and giclees by our established roster of artists, as well as several new talents we've been following closely for the past several months. The best part? We get to chose what films we want to play with. No corporate sponsors, no big film companies, no great prints of crappy movies, just films we know and love and want to celebrate with like minded folks. We hope to make our prints as accessible as possible to the true fans who want to purchase and as many of you have come to know about Spoke, we will always bend over backwards to hook up our fellow EB members.

In addition to the three or four new prints a month that we'll be releasing, we are also aggressively pursuing a Lobby Card program for as many screenings as we can afford. The basic deal is that we will pay for, out of pocket, lobby cards to give away to the first 50 or attendees of every screening. These mini-prints will be limited edition and printed on the same paper stock to the same high standards of our regular prints and are our way to ensure that even our fans who can't afford a print at least can walk out of the theatre with a cool gift.

If you've never had the opportunity to visit the theatre (it's a must if you're ever in SF!) here's a look at the interior:

(photos nicked off Flickr, all property of their respective owners)

Well, that about sums it up! As we already have a vibrant thread here on the forum (http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 32&t=68524) for our monthly gallery shows, we'll be updating this thread with future screenings and prints, so feel to banter here! And yes, a lobby card give away is several days over due, stay tuned!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get ready for this weekends Wong Kar Wai triple feature, very excited to see all three films on the big screen!

Ken.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:59 pm

Ken wrote: We hope to honor the theatre's passion for quality independent, cult, classic and foreign films with top notch screen prints and giclees.
:clap: This is awesome. Congrats and good luck!

I've never been to The Castro but after seeing those pics, I must. That's one glorious theater :clap:

I hope they play The Sting and you honor it with a killer poster :pint:
middayshadows
Art Expert

Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:54 pm

Ken, this sounds fantastic!

Congratulations to you and best of luck!! I will definitely be following along...
tehhippy
Art Expert

Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:55 pm

Damn - I won't go to SF without seeing something at the Castro. That place is amazing.
vivian
New User

Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:20 am

RottenAtom wrote:
Ken wrote: We hope to honor the theatre's passion for quality independent, cult, classic and foreign films with top notch screen prints and giclees.
:clap: This is awesome. Congrats and good luck!

I've never been to The Castro but after seeing those pics, I must. That's one glorious theater :clap:

I hope they play The Sting and you honor it with a killer poster :pint:
Congratulations to you and best of luck!!!!
sapien
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:24 am

Ken wrote:Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get ready for this weekends Wong Kar Wai triple feature, very excited to see all three films on the big screen!
Oh man, class movies in a class theatre. Tell me In the Mood for Love is one of the three, I can't think of a more fitting place to screen that.
piratesprayer
Art Expert

Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:27 am

I love this theater. The 5th element/ city of lost children ever was rad even though I was late. Not sure if ken is doing a poster but I'm defiantly going to the "predator/the thing " double feature may 4th. Can't wait!
talkingdeads wrote:My nipples just did a back flip!
harrykeogh
Art Expert

Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:33 am

I think watching Inglourious Basterds in the Castro Theater would be absolutely grand!
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:38 am

harrykeogh wrote:I think watching Inglourious Basterds in the Castro Theater would be absolutely grand!
Yes!
DaveWill
Art Enthusiast

Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:32 am

wow! what an amazing place, would be hard to concentrate on a movie with all that stunning interior detail!
SouthShore
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:45 am

piratesprayer wrote:I love this theater. The 5th element/ city of lost children ever was rad even though I was late. Not sure if ken is doing a poster but I'm defiantly going to the "predator/the thing " double feature may 4th. Can't wait!
I still haven't been to the Castro and would totally go to this if I wasn't going to see The Black Keys in Oakland. May 4th is a hell of a day for me.
MalachiConstant
Art Expert

Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:50 pm

sapien wrote:
Ken wrote:Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get ready for this weekends Wong Kar Wai triple feature, very excited to see all three films on the big screen!
Oh man, class movies in a class theatre. Tell me In the Mood for Love is one of the three, I can't think of a more fitting place to screen that.
Days of Being Wild

In the Mood for Love

http://www.castrotheatre.com/p-list.html#apr14
tehhippy
Art Expert

Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:14 pm

MalachiConstant wrote:
sapien wrote:
Days of Being Wild

In the Mood for Love

http://www.castrotheatre.com/p-list.html#apr14
I haven't seen any. Know I need to. Really jealous of those ghat can go to this.
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:38 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
harrykeogh wrote:I think watching Inglourious Basterds in the Castro Theater would be absolutely grand!
Yes!
Nice idea.

Congrats, Ken.
Ken
Art Expert

Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:00 pm

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

As a big thank you to the EB community for all the support these past couple years, I want to make sure that forum members who can't make it to the screenings can still pick up something cool, even if they can't afford to buy a print. We've got a few of the Wong Kar Wai lobby cards set aside, so shoot me a pm if you'd like one for free! (you'll have to pay shipping, so expect to drop about $5 or so.)

Here's a look at the lobby card if you missed our Facebook post: