Is it really a gig poster?

General art-related discussion.
foamyandgreen
New User

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:27 am

I would love to have work from certain artists in my collection. Unfortunately, it seems like the posters of the most sought-after artists (e.g., EMEK) sell for well over 100 bucks even before the date of the show they are advertising. Are these posters even sold at the show? If not, shouldn't they be thought of as fine art rather than gig posters? Kinda frustrating!
electrachrome
Site Admin

Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:44 pm

sometimes they are used to advertise the concert, but more often they are refered to as commerative posters...a keep sake if you will. Quite often the shows being advertised don't need the aid of the poster to get people to buy tickets, like Emek's posters themselves, many shows sell out in minuets.
Technicaly, they still are advertising, so yes, I consider them "gig posters", but there is no question for any of us who decorate our humble little shelters with them that they are art as well.
coxgt
Art Expert

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:13 pm

electrachrome wrote:sometimes they are used to advertise the concert, but more often they are refered to as commerative posters...a keep sake if you will. Quite often the shows being advertised don't need the aid of the poster to get people to buy tickets, like Emek's posters themselves, many shows sell out in minuets.
Technicaly, they still are advertising, so yes, I consider them "gig posters", but there is no question for any of us who decorate our humble little shelters with them that they are art as well.

well said, electrachrome :)
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:34 pm

I just wanted to point out one thing about this statement
foamyandgreen wrote:it seems like the posters of the most sought-after artists (e.g., EMEK) sell for well over 100 bucks even before the date of the show they are advertising
It's generally an artist (or retailer) no-no to sell a print before the show has occurred. Even the recent Emek Decemberists that was on Ebay went up a few days after the show. Just wanted to point that one out...
Tra la la la la...
Stainboy
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:21 am

Well, I know that my posters get put up and actually advertise the gigs - at least here in Orlando, 'cause I see to it. I have a poster route that I run for all of the House of Blues stuff.

Outside of Orlando circumstances beyond my control take over...so results may vary.

Selling before the gig is a no no. At least to me.
posterjunkie
Art Enthusiast

Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:09 am

If it's not posted (on the street, prior to the event), it's not a poster, and it's definately not advertising. Very simple.

Jacob
http://www.ConcertPosterArt.com
"articles, venue profiles, artist profiles and about 4000 flyers, posters and ads"
electrachrome
Site Admin

Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:18 am

posterjunkie wrote:If it's not posted (on the street, prior to the event), it's not a poster, and it's definately not advertising. Very simple.
does not the "information superhighway" that is the internet count as todays street? would you think to post up a poster 300 miles from the gig in hopes someone will see it and make the trek? Obviously, I feel a poster is still doing it's "job" whether it's on my computer screen or in the window of my local laundry matt. It's the 21st centry and you gots to go where the people is at.
drowningcreek
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:43 pm

posterjunkie wrote:If it's not posted (on the street, prior to the event), it's not a poster, and it's definately not advertising. Very simple.

Jacob
http://www.ConcertPosterArt.com
"articles, venue profiles, artist profiles and about 4000 flyers, posters and ads"
I disagree with you.

The postering model has changed over the years and posters have evolved from just being street advertising to being merchandise. When a band comes to us and commissions a run of posters to be sold at their shows, it's most definitely a poster - an official and band ordained poster at that. It's not an advertising slick or flyer and I make that distinction in the descriptions on our web site.
edderlyj
Art Expert

Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:54 pm

I'd have to agree with Judy on this one. There's very little actual posting of anything screened these days that's not, say, a Hatch Show print in a shop window in Nashville. Your lithos and photocopies might see a staple or two, but there fast losing the distinction among collectors as pure gigposters--with the caveat that not all lithos are shite pasters.

Have I mentioned what a truly inspired visionary one JW of the North Georgia abattoir is?

:cheers:
iratasan
Flipper

Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:11 pm

this a very interesting topic.
evillittlegoat
Art Expert

Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:20 pm

posterjunkie wrote:If it's not posted (on the street, prior to the event), it's not a poster, and it's definately not advertising.
They are posted, on the internet. Ive gone to shows, at least partially, to get a poster. Ive gotten into bands I'd otherwise never have heard because of their posters. It is advertising in a way.
dangerboy
Flipper

Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:57 pm

edderlyj wrote: Have I mentioned what a truly inspired visionary one JW of the North Georgia abattoir is?

Main Entry: ab·at·toir
Pronunciation: \ˈa-bə-ˌtwär, -ˌtwȯr, -ˌtȯr\
Function: noun
Etymology: French, from abattre
Date: 1820
: slaughterhouse

are we talking about the same thing? the abattoir around here dresses venison and hogs
stsmytherie
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:00 pm

What's wrong with merch? Particularly if it's a handmade piece of art?
Flimby

Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:14 pm

the internet has changed rock posters a huge way. the line betweeen merch and promotion is gone. between eb, gp, the blogs, myspace, etc. posters are seen by more eyeballs in the virtual world than they ever would be in a storefront or on a telephone pole. at the same time, there is nothing like seeing a print or a rock show in person.
drowningcreek
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:23 pm

dangerboy wrote:
edderlyj wrote: Have I mentioned what a truly inspired visionary one JW of the North Georgia abattoir is?

Main Entry: ab·at·toir
Pronunciation: \ˈa-bə-ˌtwär, -ˌtwȯr, -ˌtȯr\
Function: noun
Etymology: French, from abattre
Date: 1820
: slaughterhouse

are we talking about the same thing? the abattoir around here dresses venison and hogs
Our art studio is in the building where Jeff's father had his slaughterhouse for 35 years. Yes, we are talking about the same thing.

:twisted: