Is it really a gig poster?

General art-related discussion.
drowningcreek
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:30 pm

Flimby wrote:the internet has changed rock posters a huge way. the line betweeen merch and promotion is gone. between eb, gp, the blogs, myspace, etc. posters are seen by more eyeballs in the virtual world than they ever would be in a storefront or on a telephone pole. at the same time, there is nothing like seeing a print or a rock show in person.
This is true, but there are certainly many more delineating lines involving posters.

Many bands now have riders on their contracts stating that they will supply all advertising to a venue and strictly prohibit venues from commissioning posters in their contracts. Why? Because posters are/were being created without the band's input and because people were/are selling the posters and the bands never saw a dime of the money made.

Now, many bands are commissioning the art work themselves, using the designs they approve as admat for magazines and flyers and then selling the screen prints same as they do t-shirts as merchandise.

It doesn't work the same way it did back in the 80s any more.

But, there are other angles besides the one I cite above.
drowningcreek
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:32 pm

stsmytherie wrote:What's wrong with merch? Particularly if it's a handmade piece of art?
Absolutely nothing. And my point exactly.

:wink:
bysleightofhand
Art Expert

Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:36 pm

i love bands that actually sell the posters at the respective show. I dislike having a whole run sold exclusively online. I'm cool with the majority being online, but some still should be sold at the show to reward those who actually paid to watch the band for the specific date.
Flimby

Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:37 pm

i honestly don't get why more poster images aren't released further in advance of the actual shows. it would seem to make sense to allow the image to serve as both promo and merch.
drowningcreek
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:47 pm

Flimby wrote:i honestly don't get why more poster images aren't released further in advance of the actual shows. it would seem to make sense to allow the image to serve as both promo and merch.
Almost every time we've released an image before a show date, some jackass has bootlegged it. We went on Jam Cruise and someone was (trying to) selling shitty copies of the poster we had done and posted the image of 3 days before the event.

:? :roll:
drowningcreek
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:48 pm

bysleightofhand wrote:i love bands that actually sell the posters at the respective show. I dislike having a whole run sold exclusively online. I'm cool with the majority being online, but some still should be sold at the show to reward those who actually paid to watch the band for the specific date.
Yes, I agree.
whalaw
Site Admin

Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:53 pm

drowningcreek wrote:
Flimby wrote:i honestly don't get why more poster images aren't released further in advance of the actual shows. it would seem to make sense to allow the image to serve as both promo and merch.
Almost every time we've released an image before a show date, some jackass has bootlegged it. We went on Jam Cruise and someone was (trying to) selling shitty copies of the poster we had done and posted the image of 3 days before the event.

Some people have too much time on their hands.
drowningcreek
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:12 pm

whalaw wrote:
Some people have too much time on their hands.
For realz!
Flimby

Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:41 pm

drowningcreek wrote:

wtf?
the artist and the bootleggers sailing through the caribbean. for 4 days. on the same boat.
sounds like a scooby doo episode. what idiots.
drowningcreek
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:28 am

Flimby wrote:
wtf?
the artist and the bootleggers sailing through the caribbean. for 4 days. on the same boat.
sounds like a scooby doo episode. what idiots.
Dude, you have no idea some of the weird situations we've found ourselves in.... one day, I'm gonna write a book.

The magnets we saw a guy selling at Bonnaroo '03 of our posters was pretty interesting.

:P
Burleson65
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:34 pm

drowningcreek wrote: The magnets we saw a guy selling at Bonnaroo '03 of our posters was pretty interesting.

This is probably another topic in itself, but I would love to hear about how you handled that. :shock:
drowningcreek
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:21 pm

Burleson65 wrote:
drowningcreek wrote: The magnets we saw a guy selling at Bonnaroo '03 of our posters was pretty interesting.

This is probably another topic in itself, but I would love to hear about how you handled that. :shock:
Well, I called him over so I could see up close what he was selling. When he got close enough, I could see he had magnets stuck to a cake pan he was selling for $3 or $4 a piece. Four of the dozen he had were of Jeff's posters. They were crappy photo copies of jpgs laminated and glued to a magnet.

I pointed to each of the 4 and told him I wanted one of each. As he handed them to me, I told him, "I'd like you to meet Jeff Wood, the artist who created these posters." I thought he was going to freak out for a second... he started pulling all of the magnets he had of those posters off the cake pan and tried to hand them to me.

By this time, everyone in a 20' radius was watching. Warren was just about to come on stage, so it was a mellow Sunday morning crowd and not wanting to cause a scene, I simply took the magnets and told him I'd pay for them all the while explaining copyright to him gently. He wouldn't take the money from me, so off he went back into the crowd, maybe a little wiser to stealing people's artwork for beer money or maybe not. The people all around who had been watching this go down all clapped and gave me the thumb's up for not busting this hippie's balls.

Anyway, Warren played one of the most beautiful sets ever that morning and we had a great time hanging out with the other people around us.

Sometimes you have to decide whether or not pissing someone off is really worth it. It wasn't worth it that morning.

:wink:
greasy
Art Expert

Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:10 pm

there was another guy on ebay last week selling a ton of these cheap magnets, with jermaine and emek art on them among others. i got a hold of both artists to have the auctions shut down. did my good deed for the day!
27 wrote: One time i was walking down the tracks when i was 4 yrs old and this train raped me in my butt.
http://www.GRAFantasy.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jayscollection/