G88 Breaking Bad ARG/Gallery SHOW?!?!? (RUMOR)

General art-related discussion.
finalfilppula
Art Expert

Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:56 am

rubberneck wrote:Image
Jonathan Banks's ears Are quite pointy.
isunktheship
Art Expert

Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:04 pm

tenaciousjack wrote:Finished up framing my recently acquired BB Just Like Us sets!
I'm loving how it turned out... :clap:
Nice!
Creation88 wrote:no top tier artists: no stout, no moss, no taylor, no horkey, no ansin
tenaciousjack
Art Expert

Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:26 pm

BTW, some people asked about the frame job...

The frames are from Michaels. I took out the backing and put spacers in so the prints don't touch the glass. Using acid free foamcore as the backing, and framer's tape to seal. All in all, probably $14 cost per frame.
tenaciousjack wrote:Finished up framing my recently acquired BB Just Like Us sets!
lsmith55
Art Expert

Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:47 pm

tenaciousjack wrote:BTW, some people asked about the frame job...

The frames are from Michaels. I took out the backing and put spacers in so the prints don't touch the glass. Using acid free foamcore as the backing, and framer's tape to seal. All in all, probably $14 cost per frame.
Would the prints actually be damaged by touching the glass in any way?
MatchsMalone
Art Expert

Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:53 pm

lsmith55 wrote:

Over time, they can be. Screenprints have a tendency to stick a little, especially with metallic inks.
Because it's the print we deserve, but not the one we need right now. So we'll hunt it.

Let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet.
PaintByNumbers
Art Expert

Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:12 pm

Nice work! They look great!

Quick question, where did you get the spacers? I've got some Mitchells I need to get up and like the uniform frame/cost idea
If you would like to help those affected by the tragedy in Boston, please donate here : http://onefundboston.org/

'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum. '
lsmith55
Art Expert

Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:21 pm

MatchsMalone wrote:
lsmith55 wrote:

Over time, they can be. Screenprints have a tendency to stick a little, especially with metallic inks.
Hmmm, that scares me with the Taylor. Does airing them out ocasionally help? This worries me as i have all of my prints framed and up on the walls already.
Jon1701
Art Expert

Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:35 pm

goddam awesome!

“Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. Boom, a sad desk. Boom, sad wall. It’s art. Anything is anything.”
tenaciousjack
Art Expert

Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:05 pm

I'll try to take a higher res picture of the prints individually tonight as the iPhone pics are kind of blurry, but here is a breakdown of cost.

The four frames I got from Michaels match the tone and look of the prints. They are meant to be table top frames, but it is easy to work around. The frames list for $19.99 each; but shopping the sales (40% of frames + extra 20% off coupon) made them about $10 each.

I purchased the spacers last week from American Frame for $15.55. These were the ones I got, and it was plenty for five 8x10 frames (they come in twelve 2-foot sticks).
http://www.americanframe.com/Products/1 ... 125C2.aspx

I chucked the crappy backing to the frame and am using acid free foamcore backing. These were also bought at American Frame at $1.55 each.
http://www.americanframe.com/Products/A ... _MTBA.aspx

To seal the foamcore backing to the frame, I used Framers tape that I purchased from amazon for $15.34. There is still a ton left over.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KN ... 01_s00_i00

To hang the frames, I'm using command velcro adhesive strips on the back part of the frame (you can buy them anywhere; amazon, Michaels, etc). Let's figure $5 for enough strips to hang all four frames. No need to put nail holes in the wall when these don't weigh much (plus I ditched the backing with the hanging hooks built in).

So here is the cost breakdown:

1 framing job:

$10 for the frame
$3 for the spacers
$3 for the foamcore/tape/hanging strips

$16 total. Not bad for a do-it-yourself. :pint:

Better pics coming tonight.
jamriman
Art Connoisseur

Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:15 pm

The blue color looks lighter in reality.
DaleCooper
Art Expert

Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:30 pm

Awesome frame ups on great prints!!

And as for the metallic ink thing... I put my Ansin Tron in a frame, touching glass, temporarily for 2 months. When I took it out it had stuck to the glass slightly.

My Ansin Moon however hadn't stuck at all after 2 years touching glass. Go figure!
lsmith55
Art Expert

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:22 pm

jamriman wrote:The blue color looks lighter in reality.
Looks good jamriman! The crystal blue is a nice touch! Did you put spacers on yours?

One concern I would have with the spacers is that they might leave indents around the print.

I was better off when i wasnt learning all this fudge, I put my prints in their frames and that was that. :lol: Why cant framing be easier?
MatchsMalone
Art Expert

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:36 pm

lsmith55 wrote:
Looks good jamriman! The crystal blue is a nice touch! Did you put spacers on yours?

One concern I would have with the spacers is that they might leave indents around the print.

I was better off when i wasnt learning all this fudge, I put my prints in their frames and that was that. :lol: Why cant framing be easier?
I hear ya. If you browse around the Framing Corner forum, you'll see all kinds of discussion on the use of spacers. From my research, my impression is that most seem to agree that spacers or a mat should be used to keep the print off of the glass. However, you do have to be careful that you don't apply too much pressure for the reason you state. There's a bit of a balance there. I'd suggest doing some reading to form your own opinion. Some people think spacers do more harm than good, but they appear to be in the minority. It really depends on who you ask.

I think everyone pretty much agrees that having a mat is preferred, but personally it's easier and cheaper for me to just throw a lot of my stuff directly into 18x24/24x36 frames if they're that size. My goal is to get stuff on the wall so that I can enjoy it.

Also, some people say that plexi is less prone to having issues than glass, but YMMV.

I haven't been religous about using spacers myself, but I plan to add them to everything I have. It makes me nervous to think about all of this stuff pressed up against glass long term.
Because it's the print we deserve, but not the one we need right now. So we'll hunt it.

Let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet.
jamriman
Art Connoisseur

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:41 pm

lsmith55 wrote:

Thanks! I was just looking for spacers right now. I have no idea how to do this stuff. Yes now that we know more it's a pain in the ass!
tenaciousjack
Art Expert

Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:47 pm

Pics of my framed Saul...