G88 Breaking Bad ARG/Gallery SHOW?!?!? (RUMOR)

General art-related discussion.
mistersh0w
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:12 pm

Ok guys, call me what you will, but I have a feeling we've got a "LOST" style print release ARG and show coming up in lieu of the final season of Breaking Bad!!! Why do I think this?

1. G88 sent out an email about the Mike Mitchell show on Friday, today. In the email was a promo for Paul Scheer's new "Breaking Bad Animated Gif Site": http://breakinggifs.com (Why would G88 care about an animated GIF site?)

2. BreakingGifs.com has a video intro by Scheer talking about how he's doing another "fan" site (a la LOST). Gifs are already up perhaps with clues.

3. The final season of Breaking Bad is coming and it's gonna be BIG and, WHY THE HELL NOT?!

What do you guys think? It could just be prep for a gallery show and that's it, but something tells me we have the beginnings of a LOST style ARG on our hands... Hear me now!!!!

ps. Someone jump on the "www.breakingbadargs.com" tumblr stat!!
mistersh0w
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:04 pm

What no Breaking Bad fans? :shock:
tehhippy
Art Expert

Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:10 pm

Way behind on the show - but I support this rumor.
BambooLounge
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:32 pm

mistersh0w wrote:What no Breaking Bad fans? :shock:
Had never seen it until this past weekend when I watched the first 3 seasons via Netflix streaming...could have done without the first 2 seasons. The Fly was the only really WOW episode for me. A very good show, but it just doesn't crack the upper echelon for me.
HairyHood
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:40 pm

BambooLounge wrote:
Had never seen it until this past weekend when I watched the first 3 seasons via Netflix streaming...could have done without the first 2 seasons. The Fly was the only really WOW episode for me. A very good show, but it just doesn't crack the upper echelon for me.
whoa, that's a long weekend.

Also, I wholeheartedly disagree with nearly everything you said. In fact, Breaking Bad may be my upper echelon.
mistersh0w
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:49 pm

HairyHood wrote:
BambooLounge wrote:
whoa, that's a long weekend.

Also, I wholeheartedly disagree with nearly everything you said. In fact, Breaking Bad may be my upper echelon.
AGREED. One of the greatest, if not THE BEST show on television. Right up there with Sopranos. You don't get quality like that on TV these days.
mistersh0w
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:58 pm

toobs wrote:breaking bad is such a garbage show :roll:
Hahah, I can tell you're serious.
BambooLounge
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:59 pm

I don't want to derail this into a Break Bad (show) thread, but I do want to go on the record as stating I was not attempting to troll. A fellow Mad Men enthusiast at work is over the moon about Breaking Bad, so with clearly nothing going on this weekend, I checked it out and stuck with it.

Just didn't do it for me, especially after hearing it compared to The Sopranos (my number 1 or 2 show of all-time depending on if I just watched Rome again or not). I came into work today describing it as the Everybody Loves Raymond of dramatic television in the sense that I don't like the two main characters (Walt and Jesse are Ray and his wife in this analogy), but really enjoy the supporting cast. Season 3's Hank arc was absolutely fantastic and I like when the show delves deeper into the cartel/crime stuff, but Walt is written too erratically for my liking. I feel like over the first 3 seasons the writers could not agree on exactly how much criminal acumen to give Walt as he will display more than you expect him to have at times then far less than you expect at others...I wish they would have calibrated that better. Jesse, is a Betty Draper character for me in that, yes, the character is written to be frustrating in the context of the show, but it just spills over too much for me to the point of being an un-enjoyable character. At least Mad Men is not centered around Betty.

And to reiterate, I do think it is a very good show, but just not up there with the best I've ever seen.
PLUSH
Art Expert

Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:02 pm

Never heard of it.
jlabbate
Art Freak

Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:04 pm

would love to see an entire exhibit devoted to BB :drool:

season 4 was the absolute TITS! :notworthy:
netluffyg
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:07 pm

BambooLounge wrote:
mistersh0w wrote: The Fly was the only really WOW episode for me. A very good show, but it just doesn't crack the upper echelon for me.
If you liked that episode. The director has also done some films that ate really good. Brick as well as The Brothers Bloom. He has another moving coming out this year called Looper.

But in regards to this rumor, I'd be all for it. Maybe our own Toobs could show some of what he is working on at this show.
adamsmasher wrote: There is not enough wall space for ambivalence.
HairyHood
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:13 pm

BambooLounge wrote: Season 3's Hank arc was absolutely fantastic and I like when the show delves deeper into the cartel/crime stuff, but Walt is written too erratically for my liking. I feel like over the first 3 seasons the writers could not agree on exactly how much criminal acumen to give Walt as he will display more than you expect him to have at times then far less than you expect at others...I wish they would have calibrated that better.
As far as Walt goes, I think this is what makes his character so cool. I don't think that Walt knows how much 'criminal' he has in him either. Just my .02
BambooLounge
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:13 pm

netluffyg wrote:
BambooLounge wrote:
mistersh0w wrote: The Fly was the only really WOW episode for me. A very good show, but it just doesn't crack the upper echelon for me.
If you liked that episode. The director has also done some films that ate really good. Brick as well as The Brothers Bloom. He has another moving coming out this year called Looper.

But in regards to this rumor, I'd be all for it. Maybe our own Toobs could show some of what he is working on at this show.

I love Brick and really like Brothers Bloom. When I read Rian Johnson directed an episode of Breaking Bad it pushed me to watch it and was the reason I stuck with it thru the third season (I wanted to get to Episode 10 of S3 to see it) and it paid off...I'm going to borrow S4 on DVD in a couple of weeks and hope the S3 momentum carries forward.

As for a print series...I would hope there would be some sweet New Mexican dessert landscapes.
mistersh0w
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:16 pm

BambooLounge wrote:I don't want to derail this into a Break Bad (show) thread, but I do want to go on the record as stating I was not attempting to troll. A fellow Mad Men enthusiast at work is over the moon about Breaking Bad, so with clearly nothing going on this weekend, I checked it out and stuck with it.

Just didn't do it for me, especially after hearing it compared to The Sopranos (my number 1 or 2 show of all-time depending on if I just watched Rome again or not). I came into work today describing it as the Everybody Loves Raymond of dramatic television in the sense that I don't like the two main characters (Walt and Jesse are Ray and his wife in this analogy), but really enjoy the supporting cast. Season 3's Hank arc was absolutely fantastic and I like when the show delves deeper into the cartel/crime stuff, but Walt is written too erratically for my liking. I feel like over the first 3 seasons the writers could not agree on exactly how much criminal acumen to give Walt as he will display more than you expect him to have at times then far less than you expect at others...I wish they would have calibrated that better. Jesse, is a Betty Draper character for me in that, yes, the character is written to be frustrating in the context of the show, but it just spills over too much for me to the point of being an un-enjoyable character. At least Mad Men is not centered around Betty.

And to reiterate, I do think it is a very good show, but just not up there with the best I've ever seen.
I think this is all fair actually. I'm a HUGE fan of the show and I find it PERFECT in almost every way, but for some reason I'm ok with what you're saying. It's not going to be AMAZING to everyone. I think the "erratic" behavior of Walt you speak of, in the sense that it's not "calibrated" well by the writers, is the way they stay so unpredictable. In a world where 98% of the "entrainment" out there is predictable as hell, it's refreshing.

Again, I appreciate your take on the show. I for one, am not a fan of Mad Men at all, I find it very "soap opera-ish" in general. Who's sleeping with who/who's cheating on who/who's in love with who type stuff was never my bag. Style is great, but fancy clothing/set dressing doth not a good show make... or whatever that quote is...
HisBobness
Art Expert

Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:25 pm

jlabbate wrote:would love to see an entire exhibit devoted to BB :drool:

season 4 was the absolute TITS! :notworthy:
...yo.