Tiny info about a Tiny Media Empire aka Daniel Danger thread

General art-related discussion.
kansasbbq
Art God

Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:28 pm

danieldanger wrote:another day of "i dont even know what is happening on expressobeans" i see
Yes you do.
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
howdyall
Art Expert

Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:29 pm

jkw3000 wrote:
danieldanger wrote:it was a culmination of a few people just being odd. right when i got back from the signing a dude was being pushy and i very politely told him i would put some out later, would announce as such in advance, but i was tired and needed a little bit. mind you this was like my fifth day of the show and i was exhausted, so the last thing i needed to hear was a fully sincere "...but i already walked over here." also someone else yelled about how "thats not how kevin tong does it." (?????). i dont like yelling at people, but i dont much care for being casually disrespected. also i admittedly very much needed breakfast.

otherwise sdcc was fun, i had fun and will do it again and id very much like to thank everyone who came by and said hi or picked up any of the new releases.
You really need a "What Would Kevin Tong Do" shirt now.
not sign prints sold on the aftermarket?
downforcemedia
Art Expert

Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:03 am

These conventions seem absolutely nuts. I sure hope it is profitable for the artists. From a business standpoint, it looks like it could be a break even proposition at best. Am I wrong?
Lies are a funny thing. They slip through your fingertips because they never happened to you. Time wounds all the heals as we fade out of view
danieldanger
LORD KINGSHIT

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:47 am

downforcemedia wrote:These conventions seem absolutely nuts. I sure hope it is profitable for the artists. From a business standpoint, it looks like it could be a break even proposition at best. Am I wrong?
i really tried to go into SDCC not trying to think about sales as the only point of value, because its a room of 150,000 people and maybe 1% know who i am, so the notion of "its 50 times the people as mondocon, ill sell 50X the products" doesnt actually make sense. the goal was to raise that number and introduce myself and my work to those people, and i think i was successful in that. ...even if i actually made more at mondocon to a few thousand focused attendees than at SDCC, but grew my audience barely any. the costs of doing SDCC are insanity, and i need to be smarter about some things next year and trim things way down. the booth itself, cross country freight to and from, drayage costs within the hall, marked up hotels, flights, food, assistants, promo fudge, etc i was damn near up towards 5 figures just to be there. and thats before the actual costs of the prints themselves. so i did the show, it was exhausting on all levels, i gave out thousands of cards, showed my work to thousands of people, sold a respectable amount overall, and i feel pretty ok about it. there was certainly an uptick in online sales when i got home and from names i didnt recognize, so im gonna take that as a good sign.

i actually applied for more space for next year, because with the 10x10' setup i had nobody could actually get close to the prints, read the titles, etc. alot of people squinting across 8 feet. not the best way to see my stuff in person.
bapaik
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:21 am

danieldanger wrote:
downforcemedia wrote:These conventions seem absolutely nuts. I sure hope it is profitable for the artists. From a business standpoint, it looks like it could be a break even proposition at best. Am I wrong?
i really tried to go into SDCC not trying to think about sales as the only point of value, because its a room of 150,000 people and maybe 1% know who i am, so the notion of "its 50 times the people as mondocon, ill sell 50X the products" doesnt actually make sense. the goal was to raise that number and introduce myself and my work to those people, and i think i was successful in that. ...even if i actually made more at mondocon to a few thousand focused attendees than at SDCC, but grew my audience barely any. the costs of doing SDCC are insanity, and i need to be smarter about some things next year and trim things way down. the booth itself, cross country freight to and from, drayage costs within the hall, marked up hotels, flights, food, assistants, promo fudge, etc i was damn near up towards 5 figures just to be there. and thats before the actual costs of the prints themselves. so i did the show, it was exhausting on all levels, i gave out thousands of cards, showed my work to thousands of people, sold a respectable amount overall, and i feel pretty ok about it. there was certainly an uptick in online sales when i got home and from names i didnt recognize, so im gonna take that as a good sign.

i actually applied for more space for next year, because with the 10x10' setup i had nobody could actually get close to the prints, read the titles, etc. alot of people squinting across 8 feet. not the best way to see my stuff in person.
Just curious -- do most of the people just meander around looking randomly at stuff, and then something catches their eye and they stop in and talk with you? Or look at stuff? Or do you sort of have to be active in inviting people over to your booth?

Edit: I just think about scientific poster presentations I've been to, and it's such a crap shoot as to whether people ACTUALLY stop and engage with what you're presenting. I feel like I kind of have to be like, "HEeeeeeeeeeeeeey, wanna talk about this with me??" And I really don't enjoy that, from a social level.
danieldanger
LORD KINGSHIT

Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:36 am

i was toying a theory that the show is simply too big for any casual attendee to see everything, so they mentally go in scanning the aisles for things theyre already familiar with on their first run-through. so youre always kind of fighting an uphill battle against everyone being overwhelmed. ive learned years ago to just sort of be present (ie dont sit and be dicking around on your phone) and if someone stops to look at stuff, give em a 10 count and then ask if they have any questions or want to see something closer. we had a "carnival barker" type near us at SDCC just shouting out to everyone walking by and it was CRAZY annoying by hour 2.
bapaik
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:45 am

danieldanger wrote:i was toying a theory that the show is simply too big for any casual attendee to see everything, so they mentally go in scanning the aisles for things theyre already familiar with on their first run-through. so youre always kind of fighting an uphill battle against everyone being overwhelmed. ive learned years ago to just sort of be present (ie dont sit and be dicking around on your phone) and if someone stops to look at stuff, give em a 10 count and then ask if they have any questions or want to see something closer. we had a "carnival barker" type near us at SDCC just shouting out to everyone walking by and it was CRAZY annoying by hour 2.
Very interesting. Your approach seems very nice, or something that I would appreciate from a social-interaction-level. I don't want to be badgered immediately, but I do also want to be engaged if I'm interested. Glad that works out.

I can imagine a barker would be super annoying. I had never considered SDCC from a booth owner's perspective, just from a fan-walking-the-halls perspective. Also never considered how much money you'd have to invest into the process. That's crazy, but hopefully pays off in the long run.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:26 pm

Really depends on the artist. Some use it as more of a networking thing and prolly hope to either break even or possibly even write off the losses, while others appear to be making a killing by selling books to new/casual fans and already completed works to a familiar fanbase, or hammering out commissions. I saw one artist in Artist's Alley who was literally falling asleep since no one appeared to be checking out his booth, while another a row over had a nice crowd around and sold a 2k piece to someone while I was there who "saw it on Instagram and had to have it".
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Cragars
Art Expert

Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:51 pm

danieldanger wrote:

Half kidding, couple of these puppies on some bungie cord at the table. boom
downforcemedia
Art Expert

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:06 am

Well Daniel, if you need a helper next year, I will work for prints. ;)
Lies are a funny thing. They slip through your fingertips because they never happened to you. Time wounds all the heals as we fade out of view
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:50 am

powwowworldwide wrote:Confirmed artist for @powwowworcester 2018: Daniel Danger (@tinymediaempire).
Interesting...
So it goes...
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:30 pm

So it goes...
danieldanger
LORD KINGSHIT

Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:30 am

they werent actually, some kind of store error. items only show up as "sold out" if the inventory count is 0, but the inventory count was -6
jkw3000
EB Team

Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:39 am

But for a brief moment...

35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:32 am

^lol . . . I tried to cop, was rejected.