John Baizley Thread

General art-related discussion.
SunflowerSeeds
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:24 pm

Very nice, thanks for the info. Any word on price or how big the run will be?
waxenpi
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:27 pm

any speculation on size/edition/cost?
afrosteeziac
Art Expert

Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:28 pm

murdock wrote:Gotta admint, skull girl actually makes this a harder decision than I'd like it to be... :?
I feel like I might be in the same boat :( I'm conflicted, I'm sure this thing looks killer in person too.
piratesprayer
Art Expert

Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:29 pm

murdock wrote:Gotta admint, skull girl actually makes this a harder decision than I'd like it to be... :?
just use a 10 inch mat to cover it all the way around haha.
talkingdeads wrote:My nipples just did a back flip!
Stingers
Art Expert

Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:34 pm

Yeah sadly I love half this image . No arguments over the excution of the left hand side but the proportion of that skull to body (if it's meant as a mask or not) throws me off too much to frame it.
If I had it in front of me I'm sure I'd think differently mind you .
mattlew69
Art Expert

Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:40 pm

holy fudge, she has a skull on her head?!?!?!?!?

i never noticed. :lol:

if it has a skull and boobs, i have to have it!
PygmyLush
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:47 pm

yes that is the down fall to the image buy 2 cut one in half frame it the nubmer and sig will be on that side any way mat the puppy up and blam.

:pint:
"Hipsters are pissing all over the mustache's good name"- preacher010
qotsa909
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:04 pm

i think that there is often something a little 'off' in his illustrations and that they are meant to be- such as the neck of the woman in 'passage through purgatory':

and her left knee in 'cut them where they bleed':

which makes me think that these 'oddnesses' are supposed to be accepted as off-kilter points of reality departing interest

this is how i come to terms with the 'skull mask' anyway and i shall definitely be attempting to purchase

am also hoping for, but not really expecting, a 'beyond the permafrost' print at some point... :drool:
murdock
Art Expert

Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:12 pm

pathways wrote: Another new Baroness track:

http://www.spin.com/articles/hear-baron ... llow-green

Not really diggin this one as much as the others :(
Oh, btw, I really like this one :pint:
Don’t deal with MillerTime04 - he’s a scammer
shivashakti
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:36 pm

qotsa909 wrote:am also hoping for, but not really expecting, a 'beyond the permafrost' print at some point... :drool:
this and static tensions would be really phenomenal.
pathways
Art Expert

Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:46 pm

I'm probably in the minority on this one, but it doesn't bother me a bit. I heard/read somewhere a long time ago, and I wish I could remember but it said, that when he draws it, that's it. I'm sure he sketches it out and gets an idea for the piece but I don't know how often he actually goes back and erases. I just think it's a part of his process and growth. I'm gonna look for the article later.

Another example is magpie lady, that left eye is somewhat bigger.

Image Image
clocascio
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:48 pm

I, too, was hoping for just the right side of the image. I have the Kvelertak t-shirt with the album artwork on the front and it is one of my favorites to wear. Aside from the fact that the band/album is awesome, the artwork is just beautiful. The left side makes the overall piece feel unbalanced. It makes sense for the front and back of a gatefold jacket, but I'm not sure about the print.

Regardless, I still want one. :drool:
Stingers
Art Expert

Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:06 pm

Not wanting to sound ungrateful these are being produced, Baizley is one of my top three artists and this level of printing excellence for his work has been a long time coming .
pathways
Art Expert

Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:06 pm

...I’m a staunch disciple of the ‘process’ of making art, it’s a life long thing where you learn more from your missteps and you’re errors than you do from your accolades and perfection. I try to leave room for mistakes and risks to happen, because otherwise, I’m just rendering something. I don’t consider myself adept at rendering, I think it’s a by-product of the reactive or intuitive process...
http://thequietus.com/articles/02932-jo ... -metal-art

And also speaks about it here:
Yeah, and you also-- if you look through enough of my work you can see that consistently there are technical errors. I tend to favor those errors over something that's a little sleeker looking, so, you know, when a paper grain will show through or when a slight smudge or mistake will happen that's just part of the piece for me. And I welcome-- I embrace that sort of thing that can happen randomly. And I think it lends something different to my work than a lot of other people's.
http://www.crustcake.com/2008/05/crustc ... izley.html

He goes through some of his pieces too and talks about what they represent.

Interesting stuff I say! :)
Image Image
Stingers
Art Expert

Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:55 am

First pic is the best representation of the ink colour , more of a Mauve than dark Red imo . . .