Ashley Wood

General art-related discussion.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:00 pm

the quick flip.

but, for me, its the colors and the war material. I also enjoy the rawness to the paintings. I have the first There, it's a litho and it's great.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
x43x
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:04 pm

While Geddes is a master at realism, Wood is a master at minimalism. With a few strokes of the brush, he is able to convey so much detail. He really understands lighting as well and what he can achieve with his style is outstanding.

And robots and naked girls too.

Plus his comics are awesome. Popbot, WWR, ZvR. Good stuffs.
Last edited by x43x on Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rubberneck
Art God

Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:06 pm

x43x wrote:While Geddes is a master at realism, Wood is a master at minimalism. With a few strokes of the brush, he is able to convey so much detail. He really understands lighting as well and what he can achieve with his style is outstanding.

And robots and naked girls too.
:pint:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
dsanacore
Art Expert

Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:11 pm

Even his prints have the most unbelievable texture to them... God I love that!
Image Image
HappaHaoli
Art Expert

Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:51 pm

x43x covered all the bases but I will add that for me Ash and Jem are two sides of the same coin. Both styles dazzle me with amazing imagery - one constructed out of very detailed and refined brush strokes while the other is more visceral and just plain raw.

Some days you're in the mood for sushi and some days you just want a drymounting steak!
Image x6 ImageImage x2
"I had this dream where I relished the fray, and the screaming filled my head all day."
rubberneck
Art God

Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:00 pm

HappaHaoli wrote:x43x covered all the bases but I will add that for me Ash and Jem are two sides of the same coin. Both styles dazzle me with amazing imagery - one constructed out of very detailed and refined brush strokes while the other is more visceral and just plain raw.

Some days you're in the mood for sushi and some days you just want a drymounting steak!
So Geddes is the sushi right? Delicate, refined, slow and meticulous in craft & design, washed down with a nice red.

Meanwhile, Wood is a big bloody steak, sizzling and spitting fat flames on the grill, rough and crispy on the outside, (pink in the middle...ooeer!) and wolfed down with a beer!

:pint:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:04 pm

wow, great thread/discussion here. Not too many like this up in heah lately...
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
x43x
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:23 pm

Another thing to add for comparison's sake...

Since Geddes paints in such detail, the "what" is already taken away from the viewer. It's easy to tell that there is a girl floating above her bed while a window shatters, or a cosmo is eating cement. The real questions with Geddes are "why and how?"

With Ash, many of the pieces ask the viewer "what?" since many aren't based on realistic things. Take Birth for example. I still can't really wrap myself around "what" is actually going on in that piece. Ash's style lends heavily to the "what" question, as sometimes they are abstract enough that the viewer needs to fill in some blanks to understand the intent of the piece.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:28 pm

:clap:
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
deancc
Art Expert

Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:28 pm

what x43x said.

as far as subject matter, mostly i dig his girls. and shockingly, my favourites are when they're not naked. go figure.
Cbjornson
Art Expert

Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:11 am

To me, Geddes and Wood work from very similar easels, albeit at different times.

Geddes represents the fall of man. The cosmonaut series especially with White Cosmo ascending, Adrift in purgatory and Red Cosmo descending to hell. Pieces such as Cafe and A Perfect Vacuum represent man's last stand. The last fall and a complex ideology shift (represented by gravity) that lends to a sense of uneasiness as well as posing the simple question of why or even possibly when.

Wood represents the rise of machine in a posthuman setting. The robots intermixed with humans, the brash and unrefined brushstrokes and empty space in his pieces represent the unknown that we all face in life after man. The lack of detail is made up with the imagination and emptiness is filled with such.
maden wrote:Never apologize on the internet.
gonzo303 wrote:This is Gonzos mom
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:23 am

x43x wrote:Take Birth for example. I still can't really wrap myself around "what" is actually going on in that piece
I understand where you're coming from but 'Birth' is pretty much one chick sitting on another chicks face. I see the 'morph' where the magic happens which might obscure the obvious and beg the question of 'what' but, at the end of the day, it's a chick going down on another (or up, in this case) and that's exactly what it looks like :lol:

Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!
> THC X 9 <
x43x
Art Connoisseur

Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:38 am

^
It really depends on the context of the piece. If it ends up in drymount-It, then yeah, maybe it is that simple. If it is for Popbot, then not quite.
guerilladubber
Art Expert

Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:07 am

"Our work hangs well together"
-Geddes to Wood in Jux interview
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:12 am

x43x wrote:^
It really depends on the context of the piece. If it ends up in drymount-It, then yeah, maybe it is that simple. If it is for Popbot, then not quite.
Absolutely agree. Guess what I'm saying is that 95 out of 100 art 'patrons' would define this piece as lesbian-erotic given no context but the painting itself in a home/museum/gallery setting... and yes, pulling stats from my ass :lol:
Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!
> THC X 9 <