Pearl Jam Missoula '98 - What's a fair trade?

General art-related discussion.
kj1nyr
Art Expert

Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:54 pm

While I'm an avid collector I've never sold or traded my posters before so I'm hoping for a little guidance. Since I have so many posters that remain in storage in a portfolio, and since I'm broke and can't buy more until my taxes are paid, I recently decided to try to trade some of my least favorites for some on my wanted list.

There's a fella who wants to trade for my '98 Pearl Jam Missoula by Ames Bros, Avg value on EB of $337. He originally offered an 03 Emek Unnatural Resources and an 04 PJ Boston by Klausen, Avg values of $119 and $82 respectively. I brought out my poster for a once over and noticed a 1 third of an inch bend in a corner that will totally frame out, and a half inch anomaly in the print where it looks like the paint was scraped during silk screening (there is print on top of the anomaly). If you turn it over you can see some very slight roll bends but they are absent from the front. This PJ Missoula poster is still gorgeous, vibrant colors and would be awesome framed. I feel it's still worth it for the original trade terms based on the EB averages. Am I expecting too much? I'm not in any hurry to part with it, but I'd like someone to have it who will enjoy it and I do want the other two. I don't want to be an a$$hole about it though. Please advise.
Thanks, KJ
coxgt
Art Expert

Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:01 pm

Well, it's hard to say what you should do. I really look at it this way, "Am I going to regret trading this piece?" If I hesitate in answering this, the answer is likely "Yes, I'll regret it." However, if you are searching for a particular print and could obtain it through the trade then maybe it's all worth it. Go with your gut, it is almost always right in these type of decisions. 8)
rowdyroddy
Art Connoisseur

Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:48 pm

trade it for something YOU want and will not feel that twang of regret....the matchmaker function works wonders

if the first offer from the interested party isn't jumping at you.....feel free to check out their trades and suggest an alternative and go from there...you'll probably end up in the middle somewhere where both parties are happy

if not, don't feel bad in declining the trade and finding a better deal out there.....again, matchmaker or trade alerts
Flimby

Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:51 pm

pics of the actual poster are always a big help
good luck and have fun
kj1nyr
Art Expert

Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:08 pm

Thanks to all for the advice. I did send detailed pics to the other collector. I feel more confident in my counter offer now.
Cheers,
KJ
AudioSlaveSucks

Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:26 am

I agree with what someone mentioned above, trade for something YOU WANT!! If you feel you are going to regret it then don't do it. But if it's something you REALLY want then there should be no regrets!
djpubbs
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:53 pm

couldn't agree more!
thegig
Art Expert

Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:46 pm

yUP. When it comes to trades, I don't consider the "value" as much as I would if I was getting cash. I just try to get as much of what I want as possible. ;)